Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

When adjusting wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Mavrik1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When adjusting wheel alignment

When adjusting wheel alignment camber, where is the chassis suppose to be? All the way up/down?

I noticed as the chassis moves, so does the camber degrees.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:03 PM
FlapJackFred

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjust camber when chassis is at normal running ride height. Camber gain can be adjusted by lengthening or shortening the link. Long link will have less camber gain.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FlapJackFred
Adjust camber when chassis is at normal running ride height. Camber gain can be adjusted by lengthening or shortening the link. Long link will have less camber gain.
+1

To consistently adjust ride height, you want to firmly press on the chassis until it bottoms out, then release and measure the ride height. Some folks will drop their buggies from varying heights and that can lead to inconsistent ride height measurements which can consequently yield inconsistent camber readings.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:07 AM
Mavrik1

I tried the drop method, it's not consistent. I have soft off-road suspension.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Nitrovein

You need two blocks to put under the chassi, what you use doesn't matter as long as you always use the same and they are straight. If you're going to use someone else setup you need to know what they used so you're reading the value from the same chassi height.
https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/...4510581eae1db8
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Mavrik1

I'm not quite understanding how blocking the chassis helps in finding the natural driving height, since there doesn't seem to be one with loose off-road suspension. I off-road like 4x4's, not just using dirt tracks. A balance between high speed runs and off-road fun. Maybe I have a suspension adjustment issue. I'm new to cars, I was into hobby helicopters where precision is required.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Nitrovein

It doesn't find anything, it just lets you have the same point to adjust from. Changing ride height is done beside that, though for racing it's often very little that is changed regarding ride height.
If you're going to run very high ride height then you might want to use taller blocks, but then you have to change things if you're going to run on a track. A lot of droppe is usually not the best idea for track.