Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Replacing Spur Gear and Slipper System

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Replacing Spur Gear and Slipper System

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM
benmccardle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Spur Gear and Slipper System

So I've had a Redcat Backdraft 3.5 for several years now that I haven't been using recently because there was a compression issue with the head button. I took the engine off and got that all fixed. When I put the engine back in I tried to make sure that the gear mesh was okay with the paper method, it seemed okay because the paper did not tear or come out to easily. I got the engine all tuned and running properly and ran it around the backyard fairly lightly. It turns out that I hadn't set the gear mesh correctly because the spur gear had been stripped fairly badly. It is now to the point that it really needs to be replaced. I took everything off and saw how the slipper system was working with the plastic gear. (there are little plastic spikes on the gear that grip the rubber part on a part of the slipper system) The steel replacement that I want to get doesn't have these little spikes so I was wondering if and how the slipper system that I already have would work. I also wanted to upgrade the housing for the slipper system to the aluminium version that Redcat offers since it's fairly cheap. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Essentially, I'm wondering if it'll work if I replace the spur gear only.
p.s. I'm not exactly an expert but I don't believe that the rubber pads in my slipper system are doing well. They fall apart if you touch them wrong.

Last edited by benmccardle; 06-12-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2018, 01:59 PM
benmccardle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the plastic gear with the replacement steel one, it works with the stock slipper system fine. Though this is the same T43 gear as the plastic one that came out, it is a bit larger than the plastic one. I had to move the engine all the way over to get a tiny gear mesh. It isn't what's considered good for a plastic one by any means. It has a good bit of resistance when rolling it backwards and doesn't sound very healthy. I'm not sure if it'll be okay to use for a while or if this configuration will destroy the spur gear and the clutch bell. I don't really see anything that can be done with it though. If anyone who sees this has any suggestions I'd like to hear them