Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Tekno RC EB48 2.0

Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 AM
RustyUs

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Tekno RC EB48 2.0

New EB48 2.0 1/8th Competition Electric Buggy Kit From Tekno RC!

EB48 2.0 Features:

• 4mm CNC 7075 Aluminum Hard Anodized Lightened Chassis
  • Independent Servo/ESC Mount w/ Decoupled Radio Box/Battery Mounts
  • CNC 7075 Shock Towers, Pivot Blocks, Motor Mount, and Caster Blocks
  • 16mm Bore Fluid Filled Shocks with CNC Delrin Pistons and Guides
  • Rear Hub and Arm Insert System w/ Adjustable Roll Center and Toe
  • 3 Fluid Filled Easy Access Differentials
  • Long Arm, Narrow Pivot Suspension Geometry
  • 1-Piece Wing Mount and Ultra-Lightweight Wing
  • Proven Tekno RC Durability
  • All Metric Hardware
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
bill_delong (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 AM
RustyUs

Deep down, I'm a lover of building a kit to do with whatever I please. I've held off the many thoughts of getting something in the RTR world to hold me over until this buggy finally became available. The 1/8 scale RTR buggies that I looked at had either mediocre components, or issues while running in dusty environments. This meant I would have to put more money into those RTRs to bring them up to a durability/performance level that I could deal with. I caught myself, many of nights, about to push that "Complete Order" button on platforms that I knew would cost me more money down the road, or the RC didn't have features that I wanted the most. I ultimately waited it out. Hopefully the EB48 2.0 won't be a let down.

Tekno shipped the buggy out on Thursday, and USPS said package would be arriving Monday. Got up early to track the package... package was said to be late, and I would not be seeing it until tomorrow (Tuesday). World's greatest USPS rural carrier shows up at front door about an hour ago, and wanting a signature!

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-10-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 PM
RustyUs

All I can say is...WHOA! The key parts were "beefier" than I expected. When I opened the bag containing the 2.0's arms, I was like, "Hell yeah!". They are considerably larger than my last buggy's arms. From a bashers standpoint, I'm so glad Tekno went with a 4mm chassis on the EB rather than the 3mm one on the NB. The EB48 2.0 will surely shine while taking on Mother Earth.

I don't know what the EB48.4 platforms were like, but this new Tekno RC buggy seems well thought out, and refined. What kept me from possibly settling on an EB48.4 was the fact of simplicity that the EB48 2.0 brought with it. Mainly the easy access diffs were what I sought-after.

The build was great. I still got to finish up some small things like the wiring, and paint the body. I'm in no hurry, as the weather is not promising at the moment, or for the next week.

This buggy will be for bashing/track bashing purposes only. So please don't hate me for putting less than stellar gear in the buggy .
Old 02-16-2020, 09:38 PM
RustyUs

I won't go into detail of every step as there are many EB48 2.0 build vids out there that explain things so well.

The only beef with the manual was found in a couple of steps.
  • First one was in Step D-3, where manual does not show the rear body mount stradling the rear shock tower. Found out later in step K-5 when trying to line up screws for rear chassis brace.
  • The other place that I had to study the pictures closely was in Step F-2. The manual does not mention the rear arm inserts are keyed differently depending on whether they go in front, or rear of the arm.

Each of the shock adjustment collars gave me a heart stopping moment while attempting to thread them onto the shock bodies. Getting the threads to line up correctly was the worst part of the build for me, The o-rings inside the collars made it tough to feel the thread engagement. I backed off many times; fearing cross threading, but eventually (somehow) got those first few threads to grab hold of one another .

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-16-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:10 PM
RustyUs

I'll give Tekno RC props for allowing me to escape into my happy place for a few evenings with a very joyful EB48 2.0 build.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:40 PM
RustyUs

Badlands glued up to some RD Logics wheels. Not sure about the wheels, but had to give them a try. I'm a sucker for spoked wheels. Still waiting for radio & receiver to arrive. I wasn't planning on getting new radio, but my inventory reduction sale, of hoarded parts supply no longer needed, is going better than expected. I may have to go with original plan for a bit.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 AM
RustyUs

Forgot to post pictures of buggy after paint.

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-12-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:58 AM
RustyUs

So far, everything has been great, for the most part, throughout the buggy's shakedown. I thought I was gonna have to get the next softer set of springs for the front, because I could not get the ride height low enough. I gave the springs a good beating during the past month. I do believe they have finally settled down, and are broken in now. At full droop (115mm), I have the front shock collars just touching the springs, and I was able to reach "bones level" ride height.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:25 AM
mugeyman

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

hi rustyus yep real nice guy yes i i have one also with a castle monster esc 2250 kv motor ,savox servo, 4s batts i put on, onroad tires and wheels , to practice and test a little on asphalt parking lot near me, because tracks are far away , good luck with buggy ok mugey
Old 04-19-2020, 12:01 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by mugeyman View Post
hi rustyus yep real nice guy yes i i have one also with a castle monster esc 2250 kv motor ,savox servo, 4s batts i put on, onroad tires and wheels , to practice and test a little on asphalt parking lot near me, because tracks are far away , good luck with buggy ok mugey
Whoo-wee. I know the buggy scoots along with the 1900kv motor onboard, but using the 2250kv with "normal" gearing, it must haul arse. I got my buggy geared low for my rough medium-shortish track. I have to turn down the throttle EPA most of the time.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:33 PM
RustyUs

When I was looking through the different available buggies out there, I looked at the ones with easy access diffs. Next, I looked at and tried to read/watch any mention of debris getting caught in the center diff. I run my RCs on a pebble embedded track and those little rocks get tossed everywhere. I never had a problem on my RC8.2e, but I had to let that buggy go to a good home. The little cage, that is formed on the EB48 2.0 center diff mount, had me worried.

The bad news is, I knew rocks hop aboard to go along for the ride. The good news is, not one interruption of run time from a rock getting lodged in the spur gear <knocks on wood>. I am sure at some point it will happen. Going on two months now...I am overly joyed it hasn't happened yet!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:00 PM
RustyUs

Since I'm the pebble subject, here is some pictures after first run.

Rubbing from rims taking a good amount of aluminum off the carriers.

Smoothing things out...

Rocks got wedged in between center driveshaft and battery...can't keep it pretty forever when running off-road.

Grinding mill.

Another favorite place for stones to hang out.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:46 PM
mugeyman

hi rusty well i can give you an idea you can always make a covering for your center differential like a piece of clear thin plastic it can keep the boulders out (lol) ok
i will pm you ok mugey
Old 04-20-2020, 03:26 AM
RustyUs

mugeyman, thanks. I don't know if it come down to some type of diff cover being needed. My first notion was going to be constructing something out of screen door mesh that could be tacked down with a couple of screws. My second thought is always (for the past couple of years) to just break down and finally buy a 3D printer to waste plastic while learning to CAD .
Old 04-20-2020, 03:57 AM
RustyUs

Default Thread Lock Please

I've noticed the front end's nuts coming loose after about every six, or so runs. That area of the buggy sees the most abuse; I'm sure of that. After last night's run, I am now beginning to put some thread lock on the front ends "lock" nuts (circled in blue).

Old 04-26-2020, 12:29 PM
RustyUs

Default Picking Out Your LiPo

When picking out a battery pack to use in the buggy, I'd definitely suggest a pack that has inboard tubes so as to not have anything get in the way of the wide battery strap. I chose a lower budget 4S pack, but still had to be careful of where the main, and balance leads came out of the case. The balance lead of the Zeee LiPo had me a bit concerned of pinching the wires, so I cut out section of the strap.

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-26-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:08 AM
RustyUs

Default Have Wing - Will Fly

I mainly wanted a black wing to go with the black wheels. I also wanted a different shape than what Tekno provides stock in the kit. Wasn't expecting much from the eBay wing I choose. So far, so good! It's definitely more than I could have hoped for. Holds its shape, and cushions all the tumbles...one of the best $3.99 and free shipping items I've spent on RCs.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:31 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
I mainly wanted a black wing to go with the black wheels. I also wanted a different shape than what Tekno provides stock in the kit. Wasn't expecting much from the eBay wing I choose. So far, so good! It's definitely more than I could have hoped for. Holds its shape, and cushions all the tumbles...one of the best $3.99 and free shipping items I've spent on RCs....
Now I know where I seen that style of wing before. It was on a EB48.3
Old 05-27-2020, 05:11 PM
RustyUs

Default Shimming Diff Pinion Gear

When I was going through the buggy and doing bearing maintenance, I found something that didn't look right. Even though I had to use some heat to make the job of loosening the set screws easier, the diff pinion gear started to work its way loose from the grip of the center/rear uni joint, and front diff coupler set screws. There is enough wiggle room for the bearings to start walking out of the gearboxes. They won't come out all the way out, but enough to concern me. Ordered some M5x7x0.2mm shims for the unexpected.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-28-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 AM
RustyUs

Seems like there is flange bearing mod out there to help with situations like above ^^^. I'm waiting for my bearings to arrive. Apparently, flanged 5x11x5mm bearings are not very common. And, trying to find rubber shielded ABEC 3 flanged bearings in that size are even harder to find .
Old 06-01-2020, 02:39 PM
mugeyman

hi rusty well did you try BOCA bearings out of FLA they may have those bearings you need ok well you can clean the old bearings in alcohol clean out bearings with compressed air and re oil them this might work for you ok mugey
Old 06-02-2020, 02:50 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by mugeyman View Post
hi rusty well did you try BOCA bearings out of FLA they may have those bearings you need ok well you can clean the old bearings in alcohol clean out bearings with compressed air and re oil them this might work for you ok mugey
Yes, Boca is the place to go for those quality odd ball sizes. $11.24 for one SMF685-2RSC #3 PS2 flanged 5x11x5mm bearing . I got some metal shielded bearings to give the gearbox/bearings mod a go. Similar to what is pictured below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	GearboxModification.png
Views:	30
Size:	735.9 KB
ID:	2267524
I ordered the metal shielded bearings cause the rubber sealed ones will, more than likely, take weeks to show up. Bearings that face the outside elements...I like rubber seals so that I can clean and relube them with grease. I haven't used oil in my bearings for a long time. I feel I get longer life out of my bearings when grease is used in harsh dusty conditions.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:11 PM
iftibashir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea with the flanged bearings - I'll have to pick up a set too!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:38 AM
RustyUs

I'm very happy with the flanged bearing taking up the potential slack if the uni joint set screw works its way loose.

5x11x5mm flanged bearings

With three 0.13mm shims between the flanged bearing, and uni drive shaft, only 0.1mm of forward/aft movement is possible if the set screw works its way loose.

Still got plenty of room (hopefully) for any chassis flexing that may occur.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:14 PM
iftibashir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks perfect!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.