Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Worn Clutch Question

Old 04-06-2020, 07:38 AM
RcFnatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Worn Clutch Question

My wheels only start spinning when the engine is basically full throttle. Do these clutch shoes look worn out? Do I need to buy a new clutch bell too can those wear out? Also what is a good spring and shoe material to get if I want a hard launch. I'm thinking 2 composite shoes and 2 aluminium shoes.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:06 PM
mugeyman

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi rcfnactic, you should check and clean degrease the shoes and interior of clutch bell a, softer spring (less tension ) will open the clutch shoes faster and grab the bell faster also depending what type
of clutch shoes you will work with, differently aluminum , carbon fiber etc , you can also look into other type of clutches that take 3 shoes ( grabbing more surface area on the clutch bell , the shoes are longer in length , and there are some clutches that are adjustable for racing with buggies and truggies like m2c , werks , reds , , fironi , helping you get in and out of turns on the track ok
hope i helped mugey
Old 04-06-2020, 08:47 PM
RcFnatic

Originally Posted by mugeyman View Post
hi rcfnactic, you should check and clean degrease the shoes and interior of clutch bell a, softer spring (less tension ) will open the clutch shoes faster and grab the bell faster also depending what type
of clutch shoes you will work with, differently aluminum , carbon fiber etc , you can also look into other type of clutches that take 3 shoes ( grabbing more surface area on the clutch bell , the shoes are longer in length , and there are some clutches that are adjustable for racing with buggies and truggies like m2c , werks , reds , , fironi , helping you get in and out of turns on the track ok
hope i helped mugey
Thanks for the info I'll look into three shoe setups (This is for my losi 8ight).
Old 04-26-2020, 10:41 PM
Losi8ightzerowon

Clutch nut probably isnt tight. Your clutch is fine, if it's not the nut then check your collar it may have a worn groove in it which would mean dirt has reduced grab when the nut locks down. Your engine having clutch issues wouldn't feel like it only goes at wide open, it means it's having to spin at super high rpm just to get the clutch to spin fast enough to spread the shoes and grab. Since the bell doesn't grab without high rpm and these engines run 40k rpm then the miner load holding the bell is keeping things in line but allowing the whole clutch to slip minerly enough on the little collar where wide open will only allow it to finally have enough to get it rolling.