Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
I can't shim ANY of my mp10 diffs(erencials)!!! >

I can't shim ANY of my mp10 diffs(erencials)!!!

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

I can't shim ANY of my mp10 diffs(erencials)!!!

Old 12-04-2020, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I can't shim ANY of my mp10 diffs(erencials)!!!

Hi everyone. So, I've rebuilt my diffs on my MP10 but I never could figure out how to shim the diffs. I built the kit without shims as well in the beginning. I ordered the diff shims matching the part numbers and size exactly as in the manual but they will not fit over the drive shaft or what ever they are called where the wheel drive shafts go into the diff. I found ONE YouTube video that Jared Tebo posted and from what I can see, he slides the shim right over everything and sits on the diff bearing. It is driving my nuts!! The only way I can see getting this shim on the proper side is to disassemble the whole diff, put the shim between the bearing and the driveshaft (Again, I don't know what that part is called), rebuild the diff and pray that the shim spacing works. I am NOT going to do that. To me, it defeats the purpose every time you rebuild the diff, it will sit differently in the diff casing or whatever that is called.

The size in the manual is 13 x 16 x 0.15mm. I look up "MP10 diff shims" on amainhobbies.com and that size comes up too. Please!! Anyone!! Help!!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:18 AM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Measure the OD of the outdrives and either get shims with matching ID or lightly dremel the ID of the shims you have until they fit. There may be some manufacturing tolerance issue with your parts where the shim ID is a tad small or the outdrives are a tad big. Not uncommon with RC car parts since most of it is made in China or Taiwan.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? But its the same on all the outdrives. Are you saying all of them are mis-milled? The OD of the outdrives are a few mm bigger. According to the measurements I listed in the post, are those the correct shims?
Old 12-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by doutrnz
Really? But its the same on all the outdrives. Are you saying all of them are mis-milled? The OD of the outdrives are a few mm bigger. According to the measurements I listed in the post, are those the correct shims?
Those diff outdrives are often cast and machined after casting. If they are then bead blasted after this, that can distort the surface even more.

I will tell you this; if the parts you have cannot be made to fit/work, they’re not the right parts regardless of what the part number is or what the internet says. Some bonehead could have had a typo in a PN or Description that would throw the whole thing off.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-05-2020 at 05:17 AM.