Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Battery for Starter box????

Old 02-01-2004, 12:21 AM
basherX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery for Starter box????

I just received the H7 PCR yesterday and I have been trying to find info on the starter box (no info included with kit?????). In particular I need to know what batteries to use in the box and where can I get one for a reasonable price. I've looked at the usual online places and seen batteries but not sure which one and where to get the connector to fit the one in the starter box.

Can anyone point me to the right battery and places to purchase. Ofna doesn't supply any info. on their web site or with the kit.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:29 AM
BOWTIE1
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Battery for Starter box????

u can get a gell cell 20 bucks from your lhs.. or get 2 stick packs and build a y harnesy ... for it...
Old 02-01-2004, 09:02 PM
mxzone

I would suggest you get two stick packs, they seem to put out more voltage then the gel cells. Any 7.2 volt battery will work IF it has the right connectors. If you're not sure, almost all hobby shops have these types of batteries and they should be able to direct you to the right one.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:31 PM
tkbr0wn

Two 7.2 sticks do have more voltage but do not have as much amperage ( which increase torque). If you are trying to start a new .21 engine with two 7.2 volts stick batteries, you will have a much tougher time than you would with one 12V. I have done a conversion on my OFNA Chrome top box so that I can either put two 7.2V's one 12V or power it from my car battery. If I am breaking an engine in, I switch to the 12v or car battery.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:00 PM
RaZ_Tx

the black box from ofna needs 2 6 cell stick packs you can convert it to a gel cell 12v i think saw something on a ofna board still waiting on info where at in TX are you?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:02 AM
basherX

How do you do the conversion to the 12v gell pack?? That would be good because I have one of the 12v's from my airplane equipment. Could I also connect this to my car battery if necessary such as if the 12v dies??

Also thanks for the info and by the way I'm located in Houston.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Sherak

It depends on which box you got, the Hyper box comes in two flavours, they both look the same but one is slightly smaller with no connectors on the front, this one is for use with the 2 NiCad packs and has 2 x 7v motors , the other box is a little larger and has connectors on the front (this has a larger single 12v motor), if you crack the box open a gell cell slots perfectly into the space provided and you attach the connectors, at this point you cannot get to the cells conectors by opengin the back plate, however this is no problem as this is what the connectors at the front of the box are for, just turn the box off and apply power to the connectors on the front to charge.... It ends up a nice compact portable unit (heavy though)....... I use this and am happy with it......

Tip: use your car battery (with ingnition on) to break in the engine and buy a spare wheel for use after the engine is broke in........ Also when connected to the car be carefull not to burn the motor out by trying to start a flooded engine...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:42 AM
RobH

I also recommend the 12v gel cell battery setup. I just purchased this from tower hobbies:

12 gel cell (lead/acid battery)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL370&P=V

For a charger, you can use a normal car battery charger or get the $11 recommended charger:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL353&P=V

Converting a starter box is just basic electrical skills. You find the positive and the negative wires to the motor(s). You soder one wire to the motor on the side without the switch (be it positive or negative). Then you soder another wire to the oposite side of the switch. You don't want to cut the switch out of the loop. It would be always on. LOL Then you just soder on connectors that fit the 12v gel cel (looks like a common 12v electircal connectors that you can find at radio shack). Just make sure that you use a nice and thick wire. Small gauge wire will overheat and melt.

The 12v gel cell battery will give you the torque you need should you ever upgrade to a really stiff engine. If you buy an RB, for example, the chances are that you won't be able to turn the engine over for break in if you're not using a 12v gel cell or 12v car battery.

my $0.02

-RobH
Old 02-03-2004, 12:03 AM
basherX

I pulled the starter box appart today and now have a much better idea of what your talking about. I'm going with the 12v setup.

Thanks for all the information.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:28 PM
mxzone

Raz, do you race at Fastrak Hobbies or K&M? I'm always up their at fastrak, what kind of buggy do you have so i know who to spot out
Old 02-03-2004, 05:47 PM
RaZ_Tx

No i dont race at fastrack anymore and never been to k&m hate late nite finishings i have a wife and 2 kids to spend my evenings with I am thankfull they allow me my saturdays to go race right now i run a t-maxx and if all goes well i will be picking up a hyper 7 pcr from Eron at clarks hobby shop.. I am a member of [link=http://www.teamhoustonrc.com/]team houston rc [/link] and this year we are raciung at Pearland rc Area 51 and texasspeedway rc(M&M hobbies) i can usualy be found at the track on race day jus look for a big guy dressed in black tank top and shorts and long hair
Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 PM
mxzone

Yeah, those races that last till 3 in the morning SUCK. M&M, isn't that in Pareland? I'm not sure if you're interested or not but on the 7th at fastrack they have the first ever RCU race in texas, then on the 28 and 29th are the thrc races. should be a blast
Old 02-03-2004, 10:08 PM
RaZ_Tx

M&M is in belair on the 14 &15 THRC is hosting round 1 of the texas invite at pearland rc then on the 28th its the rc pro series THRC only had 1 club race this month and it was last sat at M&M next club race date is in march and will be at pearland rc
Old 03-11-2004, 10:32 AM
normbal

my two cents.

A 12volt Lead-acid or lead-calcium gel cell costs around $17 plus the $7.99 shipping/handling from Tower; that's for a 7 amp battery. Fully charged that's around 15 volts to start.

TWO 3.3 Amp (3300 mHh) NIMH packs the last time I looked (last night, from Tower) are going to cost around $108 and change PLUS S&H again. Depending how they're wired, that's 7.2 volts at 6.6 Amps or 14.4V at 3.3 Amps. they ain't going to crank your engine any faster or longer or harder.

The price of a charger is negligible as you'd have to buy one for either case.

buy the lead-acid cell. I have one 5.0 amp cell and one 7.0 amp cell and both turn over my engines just fine.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:45 AM
basherX

Hey I did the conversion which was very simple and I also put in a set of female bananna plugs connectors for charging the battery without having to take the box apart. Anyway, it cranks my engine over with no problems and last "forever" on one charge.

FYI: while you are in there tighten the screw that hold the starter wheel. Mine came loose and the wheel wasn't gripping....made me think the gear got stripped in the starter motor...made for a pain in the but day of "breakin" at the time [&o].
Old 03-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Ben_weinberg

I just connect it to my Real Car battery Works better than any Sealed battery if u ask me!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:46 PM
RaZ_Tx

it may work better but thats a pain in the ass especialy when its race day and your car is no where near your pit area
Old 03-11-2004, 03:47 PM
tkbr0wn

Buy the Mugen Box. It is tons better than the ofna chrome top
Old 03-17-2004, 12:43 PM
jrjkanaiman

I just started breaking in a new Chrono .21 engine and my ofna chrome top with a 12v gel cell wouldn't crank it fast enough. I hooked it up to my car battery and BAM it worked great.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:58 PM
tenergy

Default rechargeable battery for RC

I am now to RC, I am looking for some atteries. I found some 2/3A and RC batteries at www.all-battery.com. Their price is ok. Do you think 2/3A (1000mAh) and Sc (3000mAh) at ww.all-battery.com work for my regular Rc car?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:58 PM
tenergy

Please go to www.all-battery.com to check some rechargeable batteries.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:00 PM
tenergy

I go to www.all-battery.com for my battery and charger needs. Check it out.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:16 PM
mattyk6

Would someone be willing to take a picture of how to install the charging jacks? I'm talking about the red and black 'banana' (?) plugs. It seems that no matter how I screw them in, it always creates a short.

Here is an example:

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-19-2004, 02:42 PM
normbal

I'll try and post a picture when I get home. I have the OFNA chrome top box and had a little trouble getting the wiring figured out (colors in real life are in black and white on the instructions and the Margarita I was working on was working on me last Friday when I assembled it), but it works great.

first thing i notice is you're missing the black insulator on the post at left, grounding the frame, which is cool, frame to ground, but is the red post isolated? It should have TWO pieces, one that goes THROUGH the post hole, the other that sits flush against it. Just an idea. I can't see the INSIDE of your box in the photo (I don't have the holographic display upgrade yet. )

Like I said, I'll try posting tonight when I get home and the kids have settled down.

-Norm
Old 03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
normbal

Oh. Also, if black IS grounded to the frame, when you put the lid on and flick the switch, don't the posts in the spring-loaded switch contact the frame? They're wired to +.

-nb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.