Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

1 way bearing, grease or no?

Old 02-26-2004, 04:50 PM
davealator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 way bearing, grease or no?

I removed the back plate of my new violator to loctite screws and discovered the 1 way and gears to be dry, i assumed the bearing would enjoy a little high temp grease, but I have since found conflicting posts. Which is correct, also which starter box is most durable, reliable, buy it and forget about it. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Default RE: 1 way bearing, grease or no?

No it wouldn't enjoy any hi temp grease at all. It'll just clog it up. Ofna chrome top box is the best, with the high torque motor.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Sherak

GrahamA is the man to listen to......... Im no expert but Ive been told by a number of people (plus the bible that is the 'ultimate nitro engine guide'[8D])that you should just clean with a oil free solvent and just use after run..........
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 PM
lynx the great
My Feedback: (1)

NO ... think about that, why in the world would you put grease on a 1 way[8D]
Old 02-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Chrisblkz

if i am not mistaken any grease you put on the one way can find its way into the engine and cause problems. I just used nitro blast to clean mine off and poped it back in.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:18 PM
RobH

If you use denatured alochol to clean your bearings, you'll find that they get really dry. I as told by someone that 2-in-1 oil or WD40 can be used to lube them up a bit. I have yet to try it though.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 PM
davealator

ok, Graham, i put just a little grease and worked it into the needle bearings, not crammed full to where it would clog, just enough, however, i am the 1'st to admit to being a fng, you obviously have alot more time and money invested into this addiction. i don't plan on buying another 1-way so i'll be looking for a chrome-top later than sooner, lynx, i assumed that shaft pokin thru the backplate spins round bout 25 or 30 k so this little bearing, ridin that shaft might enjoy a little lubrication. Chris, i would think that the hole the shaft is in would be pretty tight and grease wouldn't wander down there, but i don't know. Rob, the whole assembly was dry, i took it all apart and spun it around by hand and it didn't sound good. A little high temp grease, and it was smooooth. Then the motor, it sounded like metal nails on a metal chalkboard so i put a little oil in it at tdc, let it sit overnight and the next day, turned it over real slow until it started to pop, then rinsed her out with some nitro, and fired it up.[8D], OOOOOHH BABY , this thing is going to fly. sounds like its mad at something. I can't wait, but i am. Fail safe on the way, radio system to follow, eventually.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I used wheel bearing grease.
Seemed to work great.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Da Smak
Banned

OK. It's Alex not Graham and that shaft will rotate nearer 35,000 to 40,000 when it gets up to speed. These bearings should be dry as they use the oil that comes through the backplate bush as lube. It's when this and the grease mix the bearings stick and the pullstsrts fail to grip. So dont say I didn't warn you. But it's not hard to clean them when this happens, just be ready for it.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:47 AM
davealator

thanks Alex, i guess i'll pull it apart and clean it all out b4 it fails. thanks again for the info.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

If it's an external 1 way bearing (not in crankcase), blw any kind of dirt with compressed air and spray some WD-40 in where the bearing is, should last a bit longer but you'll eventually have to get another one, also clean the pullstart shaft as well.