Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Hot bodies Lighting RTR??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:12 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot bodies Lighting RTR??

Ok well my freind is wanting to get back in the RC hobby after buying a kyosho ultima ST sports that was the biggest peace of crap on the face of the earth. anyways hes wanting to get a rc10gt plus but i saw that the HB lighting RTR is just as much and figured it would be better since its a 1/8 scale and its 4wd. What i want to know from you guys is if this buggy will take as much beating as a Gt would and if its reliable and what not. I really dont want my freind to invest in another peace of crap like he did last time.

P.S. he wont be racing just bashing.

HB lighting owners please respond!

Thankyou
Old 03-31-2004, 12:08 AM
CGi_Rogue

Default RE: Hot bodies Lighting RTR??

If he can afford it I would suggest getting the Lighting Pro I. The RTR from what I have seen is not as good and he'll end up wanting to replace the servos anyways. I have the Lightning Pro and it is a very good buggy, for the money I haven't seen any thing better. The Pro does come with quite a few upgrades that make it a lot stronger and I feel in the long run your friend will be more happy. Off the top of my head I know that the Pro comes with a three shoe clutch, thicker shock towers, chaise braces, better shocks and steering knuckles. I know that there are more but that is all that I can think of right at the moment.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:37 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tested a lightning pro II for a magazine the other day & i have to say that for the money i was very impressed
plenty of strong alloy on it, 3 shoe clutch, cnc chassis braces & front knuckles etc! good spec
handled & jumped well in stock form, the only bad thing is that the rear wing is a bit brittle, but a new wing is peanuts
Old 03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
nitroman88

Well he really cant afford to spend 450.00 on a car.

He really just wants to know if the HB lighting RTR would be more durable then the Gt plus RTR.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM
nitroman88

no one has any opinions??
Old 04-01-2004, 04:19 PM
northlander

I bought a lightning RTR last year and have to say I am very satisfied with it. I did have to replace the wing as I think most have and I've changed the steering servo to one with more torque. Overall it has run great and is very durable. If you're going to be doing a lot of racing a lightening 1 or 2 may be the way to go. I bought mine because of the price and ease of getting into 1/8 buggies.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:31 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

how fast does this buggy go? like compared to an ofna mbx pro or anything like that?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:34 PM
G35Coupe
Banned

ALL 1/8th RTR buggies go the same speed, between 35-45mph.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Po Kid

I think any buggy would be tougher than the RC10GT. But yes, the Lightnings should be able to take much more of a beating than the RC10.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Ausar

My freind just bought a Lightning RTR a few weeks ago.. He loves it. He replaced the steering servo for one with more torque. But since it is new and he is new to 1/8 scale buggies, he is having problems tuning the carb. I am gooing to post a thread for carb tuning help for the Lightning RTR.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:14 AM
Nitro_Keebler

ORIGINAL: lax195

how fast does this buggy go? like compared to an ofna mbx pro or anything like that?
That question is very open-ended... Its based on so many different factors, you cant really answer it.

Engine, setup, cb, sg, fuel, gp.... Just get something you like and stick with it.

And no, they all dont go the same "speed", but does it really matter? Get an onroad car if you are concerned about top end.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:22 AM
G35Coupe
Banned

Ight Keebler, you know what I meant when i said that. All RTR's go about the same speed 35-45mph. Then from there its how you mess with the gearing, motor, fuel, carb etc.

That clear enough?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:05 PM
FireStorm-GA-

Hi all

Just would like to say that I find the Lightning2rr a lot of fun to drive and mess around with, still learning a lot about it as I have only had it 4 days. But I have already started to upgraed a few parts (New Rear Deck Wing, Inline Fuel Filter, Front Anti-Bend Rod, Front Stabilizer, new Glow-Starter as One supplyed fell apart within 2 days DOH and I also have put in my tool box some spares - Upper Suspension Arm Set, Suspension Set and Glow Plug). I will also be looking into upgrading the Air Filter, Shock Springs, Shock Oil, Cluch to a 3 Pcs Alum Set and also looking into putting quad breaks onto buggie if it is possable ? in the next few weeks.

Well thats about it for today
Old 05-04-2004, 06:10 PM
streetracer10989

lightning pro 2!!!!!!!!!!