Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Radio Glitches

Old 05-20-2004, 03:58 PM
NITROZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Glitches

Hi,

I have a HITEC LYNX FM Radio with a Single conversion HITEC FM RX in my OFNA MBX that is driving me crazy.

The Problem: As soon as I start the engine the glitches begin. It glitches intermittently at idle and dramatically increases as I increase the RPM. The motor is a Hyper .21 8 port pull start type with about 1.5 hours on it. Up until now I was focusing on the radio as the root of the problem but I'm now convinced that the engine is the culprit, how & why is the part I can't figure out.
When the engine is off I have no problems at all. I've range checked my gear at over 200 yards without any problem, in short, it works flawlessly. I've been in the R/C hobby for 20+ years but this is my first and quite possibly my last nitro car as I am totally frustrated

I'm hoping that someone may have had this problem before & can point me in the right direction. Is there any sub-assembly of the motor I should focus on? Is their some unwritten secret that has not been imparted on me?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

NITRO Z
Old 05-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Crawling Finn

Default RE: Radio Glitches

I have been in the hobby only for 2 months, but have had same problem as you have.

In my case the problem was related to RX crystal. It just had bad contact. Cleaning the contacts and reseating the crystal solved the problem.

Incorrectly mounted exhaust can cause similar problems, if manifold and the pipe itself are touching inside silicon coupling.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:47 PM
NITROZ

Thanks for the follow up...

I tried a different set of crystals NO luck. I'll check the exhaust tonight. Could it possibly be something inside the motor, pullstart or clutch?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:13 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

there must be some kind of metal to metal contact, make sure all your linkages are good and check your servos and reciever box aswell.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:39 PM
fhm101

Metal to metal vibration will kill an rc car radio. I've seen it so bad that shrink tube had to be put under the springs on throttle/brake linkages to stop it. A couple of things to look for before you get into the finer points. Make sure both crystals are in tight and make sure your antenna wire is not pinched or laying against any metal or graphite parts. If it's even close to these things put it in some fuel tube or shrink tube. Take a look at you linkages and see if you can take any slack with some short bits of fuel tube. The idea is to take as much slack out as you can and still get acceptable throttle and brake response.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:06 AM
kc_nitro_rc

Take an old foam air cleaner or cut you some foam strips. Wrap your receiver up so that it's surrounded by foam. One more thing, get some of that foam tape that is used for mounting pictures and put a little piece on either side of the crystal if there are any gaps between it and the receiver case.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:53 AM
NITROZ

Update......

I definitely have an issue with my reciever. I took it out of the radio box & held it 2 inches from my buggy. I fired it up and it does not glitch. Looks like vibration is definitely the culprit. Problem is the OFNA MBX radio box is so small I have no extra space to add a ton of foam unless I locate the NIMH RX pack somewhere else on the car & there aren't really any good places to put it.

I'm going to try another new set of crystals and see if that doesn't fix it, someone suggested that if the RX crystal has a small fracture it will work fine unless you vibrate it IE mount it 1 inch away from a screaming nitro engine turning 30,000 RPM. If new crystals don't take care of the problem, it looks like a new reciever & or possibly radio kit will be on my shopping list.

Nitro Z
Old 05-23-2004, 02:20 PM
thatscold

I have exactly the same problem, so I would be interested to know if the situation is remidied by new crystals. I have check all the wires for short circuits, so it's either the crystal, or the receivers had it.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:08 PM
kc_nitro_rc

NitroZ, it doesn't take much foam to isolate the receiver. Even if it's about 1/4" thick piece of foam and packs really really tight it should help.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:47 PM
NITROZ

I do have over 1/4" of Foam packed in the box... it didn't help.

So I have a new set of Crystals on the way. I will definitely post an update as soon as I get them installed and try it out.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 PM
jwren00

I think your crystal must be vibrating in the receiver. try bending the prongs on it a little bit to make it nice and snug. Or just save some time and get a synthesized receiver!
Old 05-24-2004, 03:45 PM
kc_nitro_rc

foam tape like you use to mount pictures wedged between the sides of the crystal & case work too!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:20 AM
NITROZ

Update!

It was the crystals!!

After having 2 different LHS tell me it was either a bad reciever or the engine causing interference & definitely not the crystals. I went ahead and bought a new set of FM crystals off the internet for $13..... Problem Solved, It works like new.

Wooo Hooo!

Nitro Z