Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Lightning Pro2 vs. Mayhem Pro vs. Mugen?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Lightning Pro2 vs. Mayhem Pro vs. Mugen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Raster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning Pro2 vs. Mayhem Pro vs. Mugen?

I'm thinking about getting the Lightning Pro2, but want to discount the Mayhem Pro, before I get it (or at least know if I should get the Mayhem). Does anyone have experience with both these buggies or observations about either? (I'm not interested in the RTR versions, by the way.)

I would be putting an O.S. .21 V-SPEC engine in it. I've been also considering a Mugen MBX-5, too.

Is the Mayhem Pro as good as the LP2? Is it better? Is the Mugen much better than either of these? Oh, by the way, is there any reason to get the Mayhem Pro with the .21 engine? This is an SH engine, I believe, and it has a PLASTIC backplate. I'm guessing the O.S. would be worth the higher price?

Any pros and cons for me to think about regarding any of these buggies?

Thanks!
Raster
Old 03-30-2005, 01:19 AM
NotMe

Default RE: Lightning Pro2 vs. Mayhem Pro vs. Mugen?

There's a really good review of the Lightning 2 RR here:
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/reviews/

I have owned one for a while now, and really like it. I have not driven a Mayhem, so I can't really comment on it.
The Mugen is good, but the cost really gets up there quick. Are you bashing? Racing? As far as bashing goes, my Lightning has really taken a lot of abuse, and it's pretty easy to work on.

I'm interested to hear what other people have to say.
Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents, and say I like the Hot Bodies.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The question of racing or bashing is the most relevant, the Mugen is a pure racing machine and the cost is really only justifiable if you are racing, and a pretty good driver. In a few years when I have some experience with the hyper, I may consider a change to mugen or TTR models (if TTR continue as they have with the S3), but right now, my driving skills are simply not good enough to warrant the cost of a truly 'pro spec' buggy, I'm 28 and I have a good job, but the price difference between the Mugen and the Hyper PBS I ordered was more than double. Have you considered the Hyper 7 PBS RTR, it's a very good package for the money, and a really well supported buggy...

The consensus on the Mayhem is that it's a great buggy for the price (see the mayhem thread below), as for the Hot Bodies, I know nothing about it. Hope that helps a little!?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Raster

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to race and bash. I'm mainly interested in durability first and then adjustability second. These three buggies are the only ones I'm considering at this point.

The regular Mugen MBX-5 is about $130 more than the Lightning Pro2, so that's not a big deal to me. If the Mugen is a lot tougher and more durable, I would go with that one.

I'm also planning to get a Lightning STADIUM Pro, so I thought the parts commonality may be handy between the LSP and the LP2.

Thanks again,
Raster
Old 03-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Muswagon

The best buggy would be the Mayhem PRO. Why spend the huge chunk of change for the OS engine, plus a pipe, when you can get the Mayhem which has both included for almost the same price.

If you wanted a pure racing machine my answer would be different, but, for all around duty, the Mayhem would be your best bet.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Giles300-72
My Feedback: (2)

I too would go with the mayhem. Even if you are racing the mayhem would be just as competitive as any of the other two in my opinon. For what you are wanting to do the mugen is way too much! The mayhem is very durable, easy to work on, and there is lots of factory support and good set ups available for it. Not to mention you get alot of stuff on the mayhem that would other wise be hop-ups for the others. The sportwerks engine is a very good engine! It has tons of top end power but for the seriouse racer you would want a pipe like the jp-1 to get more bottom end. It starts every time and has yet to die on me with out being out of fuel. Also the mayhem is starting to catch momentum as being one of the best buggies out of the box. There are several reviews of the mayhem, here on rcu is a good one, caraction magazine has a good one. Also you can go on the horizon website and read the mayhem update. It has several tips and two diff. setups that work really well. Good luck and what ever you decide to go with you can't go wrong. They are all great buggies, but in my opinon the Mayhem is the best for the money.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Galifrey

My OS V-Spec is mounted in a TTR-S3... if its in range of your budget I would recommend considering it... if not then I would recommend the Mugen, get the best you can afford..

Old 03-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Raster

A lot of people say the Mayhem has a great Sportwerks engine, but they are usually referring to the .26 that comes in the Mayhem RTR. I'm only considering the Mayhem Pro. The Pro with the .21 engine, has a PLASTIC backplate on the engine. I'm quite leary of an engine - especially a "racing" engine, with a plastic backplate. I've already learned of one that started disintegrating and deposited plastic shavings in the engine.

If I were to go with the Mayhem, it would be the Pro w/o an engine. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Lightning 2 Pro, too. Maybe the Mugen is just too much money, for the level of racing and bashing that I'm at currently.

So, I guess I have it narrowed down to the Lightning 2 Pro or, secondly, the Mayhem Pro.

By the way, I heard Travis A.....cuza(?), of Losi, drives the L2P for HB. Does he place well with it?

Thanks again,
Raster
Old 03-31-2005, 02:41 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

if that is the route you are going to take, you need to seriously consider the hyper 7 pbs.

http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...oducts_id=4149
Old 03-31-2005, 03:02 AM
monte100

sounds like he's after a kit, and the L2pro has better specs than the pbs.the hyper pro uk is a different story.

go with the lightning.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
elmo-uk-

i would go with whatever parts you can get easiest. The L2 had teething problems with the spares but seems to have slowly sorted itself out (1year later) You can use the L1 parts on this to a certain degree aswell as some kyosho bits.

The L2 is a cool car, very tough, durable and good handling. I have a H7PBS aswell and i prefer the L2. Quite a few people run the L2 at my local track and often beat mugens and kanais etc (with the right gear). Nobody runs a mayhem round here, but then the parts are hard to get in the UK (locally)

Conclusion: get what you want, can afford (including spares) and is most obtainable. It seems you would take either as you have already broken down the choice to 2. Bare this in mind when buying one of them, either way you will be happy.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: Galifrey

My OS V-Spec is mounted in a TTR-S3... if its in range of your budget I would recommend considering it... if not then I would recommend the Mugen, get the best you can afford..

Ah now you see my V-Specs are mounted in Hyper 7 Pro UKs, these will easily be within your budget. But if your looking at the MBX5 Prospec then ANY buggy is in your range. So this just sounds like any other "Which should I get?" thread.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Galifrey

ORIGINAL: Uberchav Alex

ORIGINAL: Galifrey

Ah now you see my V-Specs are mounted in Hyper 7 Pro UKs, these will easily be within your budget. But if your looking at the MBX5 Prospec then ANY buggy is in your range. So this just sounds like any other "Which should I get?" thread.
Funny you should say that...

I tried to stick to the thread and recommend one of his choices, but couldnt resist a steer in the direction of the cheaper (and arguably better) TTR-S3...

Old 04-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Raster

Well, I've gone back and forth over and over on these buggies. Just when I think I've made up my mind, I change it again... I may need therapy...

Anyway, at this point, I realized I could get TWO Mayhem Pros, with the .21 engine, for the same price as a Mugen Prospec w/V-SPEC. That would give me two buggies and redundancy of parts. I can get the Mayhem Pros, with engine, for $500 each.

Of course, I could get TWO Lightning 2 Pros, with one V-SPEC engine for $1145, including an O.S. 2050 pipe.

Since I'm not an experienced racer, getting two of either of these buggies sounds very appealing, instead of one higher-end race machine.

The biggest question I'm trying to find out at this point is --- Is the Mayhem Pro as DURABLE and TOUGH as the Lightning 2 Pro?

Thanks again,
Ras
Old 04-02-2005, 12:41 PM
performula

I would say Hot Bodies or Sportwerks even more for the SW. You get a lot of buggy for the fraction of the cost compared to the Mugen. Yes, you are guaranteed a great product from Mugen, but now with all the posts about the HB and SW you are losing out buying a Mugen.

I say Mayhem first and Lightning at a VERY close second place. The reviews I have seen praise the Mayhem to death.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 PM
scrapheep

Anyway, at this point, I realized I could get TWO Mayhem Pros, with the .21 engine, for the same price as a Mugen Prospec w/V-SPEC. That would give me two buggies and redundancy of parts. I can get the Mayhem Pros, with engine, for $500 each.
Now that is a racing mentality if ever there was one!!!

I've raced against both LP2 and Mayhems, both are good cars and durable...though the Mayhem really can take some brutal punishment in the hands of a newbie...smashing into immovable objects at WOT and coming back for more
Old 04-02-2005, 03:26 PM
performula

Word?

Because I just bught one!
Old 04-02-2005, 03:53 PM
*thebuggyman*

Hey raster Heres a picture of my mugen http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_M...2830781/tm.htm
but hey man I have had a good bit of buggies in my short time with this hobbie I have 3 ofna 9.5's , 4 Mugen Mbx5's 2 Mugen mbx4's and an ofna MBX . I am not bragging beleive it or not iam just giving you some insight. The things that I like about the ofna's is the parts availability they are fairly durable too. The Mugens are just trick and I am addicted to trick. I went crazy with it but after owning a few buggies I like the Mugen mbx5 the best I have never tried the Mayham but it looks nice and the reviews are good. A freind of mine at the track has a lightning pro and spanks my butt every weekend when I go to the track. I guess when it somes down to it the high dollar stuff only really makes a difference when your skills are such that you can push the cars to the limits throughout the track. I dont know but I do know one thing and that is I want to know .Whats the fastest way to the sweet spot on my rb ws7 11
Old 04-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Raster

It's good to see all the positive feedback on the Mayhems. I think for now, the best option for me would probably be to get two Mayhem Pros, with the .21 engines.

Does anyone here have the .21? How does it compare to, say, an O.S. .21 V-SPEC? I'm not expecting the same performance, but how far off is it? Does it have a linear powerband, good torque and good high-end. Is it easy to tune and run reliably?

Thanks again,
Ras
Old 04-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Giles300-72

The mayhem is a good decision. I have heard great things about the sportwerks .21. I have the rtr version and it is supper durable and extremely fast and easy to set up. I out run mugens and tripple 7's all day. The only things I have broke on mine is I snapped a cv shaft due to the ungodly power of the .26 with a jp-1 pipe, and the other is I broke the eye on the end of the shock where it attaches to the a-arm. I don't really see the pro version as beeing worth much more than the rtr. I looked at one sat and there isn't much diff. And the things that are diff I havn't had a prob with. Most tracks will let you run the .26 engine. YOu would be surprised at the number of people that run that engine or other .26's every weekend. If I were you and you wanted spare parts I would get one rtr so that you get the good radio and a good starter engine, buy a jp-1 pipe, and buy the pro so that you have spare parts and upgades for when your driving skills get to the point of needing them. That way you trash the cheap parts while learning to drive and when you break them you upgrade with the parts from the pro version. And then once you get good at driving and not wrecking you can go get you a ws7II and the jp-1 pipe will work nicely with it. Also you will already have the engine mounts you need from the pro version! Just a thought that seems to make good sense.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 AM
performula

Raster, where did you see the Mayhem Pro for $500 w/ engine?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Raster

Giles - The reason I wanted the Pro is, I already have a JR XS3 Pro and some good servos, so I don't need to pay again for the radio and servos in the RTR. So, the Pro w/.21 makes the most sense for me.

Performula - I've talked to a couple of local hobby shops, that I know the manager at, about buying TWO of them. They gave me that price on TWO Pros w/ .21s. I don't happen to know of anyone off-hand that is generally selling them for that price.

By the way, does anyone know how the Mayhems handle compared to the Lightning 2 Pros?

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Xtreme R/C

I would say mayhem pro,and performula we can do one at that price hit us up:^)
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Giles300-72

I don't know how it handles in comparison to any buggies. But I do know it handles well. It could use some more steering or something to make it turn a little sharper but other than that it is great. The suspension works excellent. Sorry about recomending the rtr and the pro I didn't know you already had a good engine.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Jammin_Lee

my local hobby store said that the lighting 2 pro is awesome is so good at handling he cant believe it. he also said there is a guy running up in the buggy class at the race track and it is winning over mugen and kyosha with his hb lighting 2 pro so hope that helps and the reveiw by rcsquid said the lightning 2 rr was tuff and the pro is the same except better so take that in to perspective

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.