Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Keep it clean

Old 06-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Crazy Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep it clean

Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone uses to get the grime off of their buggies? I have tried Nitro Cleaner but it doesn't really do much except move the dirt around. I need something that I can pour/squirt/spray or hose on, that won't ruin my parts and is servo friendly. Any advice would be appreciated as I am getting tired of the old q-tip method.

Cheers
Old 06-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Keep it clean

I usally take out the radio gear + motor and fuel tank, then spray it down really good with Undalooted Simple grean, looks like new everytime
Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 AM
P1NkPanSie

i thought i was the only one in the world that did this but i was talking to adam drake a while back and we use wd-40 use the cots to losen the and blast if off with a compressor or a wipe it of with a tall thne once you've cleaned it then next time you take it to a race or go bashing give it a few couats of wd-40 and let it sit for a while then blsast it off and it makes it so the dirt can stick to the car as well i few times at this and all it takes if 15 min. and you got it cleaned up. and if you car is extremly dirty use scrubbing bubbles or thrust(carborater cleaner) they all cut grease jst do it outside or in a highly ventilated room cuz the carb clean if breathed in large doses can stop your heart.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 AM
ttr_dude

i have seen people take there radio gear ad engine basically just left the diffs in and use a pressure washer to get all the grime and dirt off, or use an air compresser to blast the dirt off
Old 06-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Nitroaddict

Been using denatured alchohol now for several years, and it still works like a champ. spray some on with a spray bottle, wait 30 seconds, then blow off with compressed air. Buggy looks like new.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:22 AM
dryvr

I use dynamite nitro force. The key is to have your buggy super clean to begin with, before you start using nitro force. After a day at the track, and I mean right after my last run, I blast my buggy with one can and it does a great job of leaving it nice and clean. I've found that nitro force has better propulsion than trinitys' nitro blast and other canned cleaners. It also doesn't leave a film. It's also safe to spray your servos off with, it evaporates quickly and I've never ruined a servo in the three years I've been using nitro force. When I get to the hotel or home, I remove the engine and fuel tank and use one more can to get to the hidden spots and spots I might have missed. I remove the wheels and then spray wd-40 on the entire front and rear suspension, generously. I let it sit for about 15mins then blow off the excess with an air hose. All the parts look like new when I'm done and all the moving parts in the suspension get lubed. Using nitro force is more expensive than other methods above, and I buy the stuff by the case, but it works.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Bud Morrison
My Feedback: (8)

Windex and a paint brush in the kitchen sink using the spray hose thingy. Watch ya dont soak the servos or rx box.
Make sure ya leave any mess you make so the wife can ***** about sumthin.
Then dry with wifes hair drier and leave it lay next to sink. Somethin else for the wife to ***** about.
Then spray the whole thing down with wd-40 make sure ya get all the bearings double good and wipe off excess. Leave paper towels lay next to hair drier on counter next to sink.

There now you have a nice clean buggy and something for the wife to ***** about that you actually did
Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Da Smak
Banned

I just strap it to the roof rack and go through the car wash on the way home, works a treat and it stops the missus whinging about mud in the house.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
JustinWZP

Remove engine, pipe, electonics, wheels, wing, body then clean under running water with a toothbrush assisting. Blow off existing water with an air compressor, paying special attention to the bearings and diffs. Then coat the bearings and every moving part with WD-40, next, coat the entire chassis with the WD-40. Now let the buggy sit for a few minutes to let the WD-40 soak in and finish up with the air compressor again. After two race weekends I also tear down whatever engine I ran the most and re-lube everything. After four race weekends I rebuild the diffs and shocks. I usually just shoot the radio tray with the air compressor then follow up with a damp cloth. My stuff is always looking and performing like new. But it's extremely time consuming........as most racers, I spend much more time working on my equipment then I do driving. It pretty much takes me an entire day to completely work over one entire buggy. I'd say 5 hours not including all of the breaks.

This is one day after a race. Everything has been completely cleaned and re-built.

Unfortunately, if you don't take your time and properly prepare you are most likely going to have all kinds of problems on race day. I didn't prepare like this in the past and I failed to finish one race. Now, since I've become and better mechanic, I have yet to not finish one.........knock on wood.

One more thing.................I HATE CLEANING AND DOING ALL THIS CRAP. If I could find someone to do it for me for a reasonable price, that I trusted, I would never clean a buggy again. I like driving so much that I pretty much have to force myself to clean and repair all the time to make sure that I don't have any problems when I go out to the track.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Bud Morrison
My Feedback: (8)

Dude heh I go through that every Monday night . I cant stand to leave my stuff dirty from week to week. Soon itll prolly be 2 nights a week as Im going to be running at least 2 classes if not 3

Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Galifrey

1 word...

dishwaher...

No seriously, I strip my car, spray with ambersil foaming cleaner, then wash off in the sink with a scrubbing brush...

Blow it off with an airline...

Spray parts with GT85 teflon spray (makes wd40 look like glue) then after a few minutes, blow off excess...

Reassemble replacing any worn/damaged parts

Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
dryvr

Hey Galifrey, who makes the teflon spray? I'm curious about it. Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 09:36 PM
auto2

I have a much better solution to the wife problem, mine left a year ago!:-)
It has been RC heaven ever since. And the shoe collection hasn't gotten any larger.I can even pay the bills. imagine that.

I have come to the conclusion that the best cleaner is water, and tare the buggy down to nothing but plastic and aluminum.

seems last time I ran in the mud my bearings were OK at the track but after I got done with the air compressor I had to change/clean 8 bearings cause of grit. I think I blew the dirt in past the seal?
no matter how you do it it is a 5 hour job. yuck....
Old 06-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Crazy Canuck

I was thinking about the denatured alcohol, someone told me to just pour it all over and watch the dirt drip off...Either way the job will be no fun, would rather be watching the mud fly off than watching it fall off...

Cheers