Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Bearing Sets - Boca, Acer, Avid.....

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Bearing Sets - Boca, Acer, Avid.....

Old 06-29-2005, 11:57 AM
slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing Sets - Boca, Acer, Avid.....

I have searched on this subject but didn't really find what I was looking for.

Is there really that much difference between these bearings? The Boca Green Seal bearing sets run $83.95 and the Acer Super Polyamide sets run $59.99. $24.00 per set is a big difference. I have not heard of the Avid bearings before but did find referrence to them here - if I recall correctly, the Avids were much less expensive.

Input please.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
im.so.smrt.

Default RE: Bearing Sets - Boca, Acer, Avid.....

i run tha avid bearings, there cheap enough that if they get gritty i just chuck them and replace them. you wont notice a huge difference in performance well driving from the $60 bearings to to avids.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:59 PM
JustinWZP

Boca bearings are amazing. They perform as you would expect but I don't think I will buy another because of the cost. The only thing to see is how long they will last. If they out perform and out last the others then I guess they aren't that bad a deal. We'll see.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:46 PM
mbx5prospec

One of the guys at my track bought the Ceramic bearings for his 777 and 4 have failed in about 2 months, well that sounds OK for cheap bearings but these cost like $300 for a set. Stay away
Old 06-29-2005, 06:58 PM
slicks

THANKS

the ceramic are too expensive for me - but the Acer set is about what I was looking to spend - was not sure if they were good bearings or not -

thanks for your input
Old 06-29-2005, 08:23 PM
zzman
My Feedback: (3)

FOR REAL DOGG- AVID are the only bearings to run!!! thats a fact, his are cheap and of the highest quality. dont let the cheap price fool ya. his new line REVOLUTIONS -are the best in the world. metal seal on 1 side rubber seal on the other. you cant beat his stuff.
http://www.avidrc.com/
Old 06-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Martin CHr

does these fit the GS storm pro?.. Think I need new bearings too.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:01 AM
slicks

Martin -- go to the web site that ZZMAN posted - they have just about every bearing size you would ever want! They also have an area for you to send an e-mail - which I did last night and they responded right away! I don't know if they do international shipping or not - but it is worth asking!

I think that I am going to give them a try - the price is very good.

SLICKS
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Engrose

I am also thinking about placing an order for those bearings.
They do ship internationally and they accept PayPal, so it couldn't be easier.
They claim that the international shipment only takes 2-5 days.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 AM
zzman

We will be out of town for the Kyosho Challenge so shipping will cease
between July 4 - July 11. If you order after July 3rd your order will
not go out until the 11th.

thats a PM from AVID- he is a pro racer for XRAY. he sponsers a LOT of races and pro drivers. you can go to any track around here and ask what bearings they use and they will say AVID!!!
I wouldnt lead anyone in the wrong direction he is the real deal!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 AM
zzman

here you go DAVID just emailed me=

To completely dead honest there is a difference in all those bearing companies. The fact that two of them (Acer and Boca) are way overpriced and their quality is not up to par with the price you pay. Our Avid bearings are the least expensive of the bunch, will outlast, out perform, and come with a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not pleased with the bearings. That is how much we believe in our products. I personally tested over 20 manufacturers before finding the right one that gave us the best price, life, and performance. It was worth it because now we have companies trying to copy us, the problem is they still don't have better bearings.

Thank you,

David Joor
Avid Racing Concepts
http://www.AvidRC.com
http://www.AvidBearings.com

now hows that for customer support???
Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 AM
slicks

I just tried to place an order and am having problems with my PayPal account - wich is why I don't like PayPal - but will call them when I get home from work tonight and see if I can clear it up and get the bearings shipped.

The problem is just with an account number or something crazy like that. But I'll get it cleared up so my order can ship.

Again - thanks for the info on these bearings.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:31 AM
zzman

you will like slicks!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:12 PM
cemeb4dk

I am another happy user of the revolutions from avid. Work great. I use them throughout my buggy and even in the clutch bells.

Great CS, and super fast shipping.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:58 PM
jwren00

just dont get the rubber shielded bearings for your clutch bells from avid. i did and they only last like 5 tanks before the shields come off. i should have known to get the metal shields for my clutch bell, i'm an idiot
Old 06-30-2005, 07:07 PM
slicks

I know that I use the ofna bearings for my clutch bell now -- I wonder what the difference is between those and the Avid rubber seal. I didn't see where the clutch bell bearing was avail in the yellow Revolution bearings. Should I be looking at the metal shielded bearings?

ZZMAN what is your take on the problem that jwren00 had?

appreciate the input guys.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:20 PM
zzman

cant say? ive never had any probs? they do have the revolutions in the bell size. they are made to keep the dust out and the metal part takes the heat. rubber goes out. if the bell isnt shimmed just right and you have to much play or not enough it causes it to heat up and it will dry out quick. i shim the flywheel not by the bearings on the bell. this causes friction.after my practice and 3 quals i always take the motor out to check them and put 1 drop of mobile in each one. just to make sure i dont have to worry about it in the main.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 PM
slicks

I didn't see the 5x10 Revolution bearings on the site today - I will look again tomorrow. I hope that my PayPal acct is corrected by tomorrow - I had to get validated or something like that - then I'll place my order.

If you don't shim on the outside of the clutch bell - how do you do it? I know I read something about that here just a couple of days ago - but didn't understand it. Can you please explain?

Is it mobile one car oil you put on your clutch bell bearings?

thanks I appreciate your help
Old 06-30-2005, 09:10 PM
zzman

ya mobile 1 synthetic car oil.... and i shim the flywheel - you can do it behind it before the collet or before the nut on the other side. some dont like it by the front main bearing but, ive never had any trouble w/ it there.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Dirts4Racin

I have been using avid bearings for a long time and have been really happy with them.I used to use bocca only in my clutch bell but found a $1 avid rubber sheild lasts just as long.If you are in a pinch dynamite has a really good cb bearing also.Stick with the avids for the chassis.The 5x10 revolution are back in stock.They are [link=http://www.avidrc.com/?action=item&id=1&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=0]HERE[/link] .I wouldnt oil the cb bearings at all.Matter of fact avid suggests using air and blowing the grease out also.What sticks after that is enough.Read the FAQ on avids site.Anything you want to know about brngs seems to be there.As for the clutch shimming,the object is to get the crank bolt bottomed out and still have a little play in the bearings.I usually set mine to about .5mm on my buggy motor.Ofna makes a REALLY good shim assortment for about $5.Part#10099.I think there is about enough shims in 1 pack to do a mack truck. Yes you need a shim washer on the outer bearing.Whatever you use make sure it only contacts the inner race of the bearing.(inner cb bearing also).The ofna kit has a few of those in it.The smaller shim in the pic works best for my combo.I use it,1 large washer and 1 small next to the bearing and i'm all set.The ofna kit has a few diff length crank bolts also. Hope this helps
Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 PM
zzman

no- you dont have to have a shim on the outer
and yes you can use the ones in the pic but its just one more thing you have to mess with. if needed you can dremmel those to get it right and not use the shim.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 AM
slicks

Hey DIRTS -- Yep I have those type of spacers and use that ofna shim set. I always make sure I have an unopened one in my part bin becauase you never know when you'll need to shim a clutch. OH - thanks for locating the Revolution clutch bearings from Avid.

ZZMan - I take a look at shimming at the other end - doesn't sound too difficult.

I hope to have my paypal acct cleared/validated today so I can order the bearings. If they work as well as y'all say they do - I'll be telling my lhs about them to see if they can bring them in to stock.

Again - thanks for your input - I appreciate it.

Slicks
Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
rcguy82

Boca bearings are a bit expensive, but you can get the same if not better bearings fromRc-Bearings.com. I used to buy from Boca and they were alright, but expensive and when I tried Avid Ihad to change my bearings almost immediately, then I emailed Paul atRc-Bearings.comand even if he didn't have my bearing in stock he made sure I could get it.I haven't changed carriers ever since. Give 'em a try.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
chadb14

I have been running Boca Bearings for a while now and have had great luck. Boca does have the $1.00 a bearing 10 packs for economy and also any other types up to full ceramics,, so you can choose what fits your budget. The support is very helpful and they also have their own line of prelubes and greasesthat work great. As far as clutch bell bearings go I have gotten up to a gallon on one set, yes after a race day I will clean them and put a drop or two of their Lighting Lube and they work great, you can also order them with grease removed if you like, even though I run them with the greaseinIhave had no issues.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Stegy

Go for Green Seal Set from Boca Bearings, they can take the beat, and there arent many bearings on the market that at RS shielded, run soo freely and not too expencive.

If they can take the beating on large scale offroad and onroad cars over 10 kilos, they can easily handle 1/8 scale...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.