Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

X1CR Shock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 AM
GeeBee Commander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X1CR Shock Problem

I was just building the shocks on my X1CR and found that I had tightened the black plastic thing, in the instruction manual it is called the "shock plastic rod end", more than I was supposed to onto the shock shaft. You're supposed to only tighten it in 12.5mm but it looks as if I made it about 14.5mm. I only did this on one of the front shocks (before I found out the correct length).

I tightened it on by putting a nut on the other end of the shaft and held it with pliers while turning the rod end. I cannot reverse this same process as the nut will only come undone.
Have any ideas on how to unwind it out a bit?

Is this a problem?
Should I make the other front one 14.5mm?
Is there a way I could compensate by changing some other setting?

If you have any other X1CR tips please share them too.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 AM
gerwen

Default RE: X1CR Shock Problem

Take off the nut that is loosening and use side cutters to grab the threads as close to where they end as you can. This should give you enough grip to loosen the other end.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:46 AM
thopper

When I need to undo plastic to metal like this I heat the plastic with a match....it comes right off.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:58 PM
GeeBee Commander

I still can not get it to loosen. Is there anything else I should try, or should I just let it be incorrect?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:53 PM
tonytiger

ORIGINAL: thopper

When I need to undo plastic to metal like this I heat the plastic with a match....it comes right off.

so much for re installing the plastic piece......
Old 11-20-2005, 08:20 PM
pdq 5oh

You could get two flat nuts and thread them on the shaft. Lock them together (called double nutting) by turning in opposite directions against each other. If the threads are too short, try a piece of thick leather wrapped around the shaft and grip over that with pliers. The shafts are pretty hard, and the leather should protect it from scratching.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:15 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: GeeBee Commander

I still can not get it to loosen. Is there anything else I should try, or should I just let it be incorrect?
Why not, does the shaft turn in your side cutters as you hold it?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:08 AM
GeeBee Commander

The side cutters did not prevent the shaft from turning. They provided some traction, the plastic piece was hard to turn, but it moved the shaft too. The side cutters just made a little gouge in the threads.

Gripping the shaft with pliers and leather, rubber, and other stuff provided almost no traction.

The double nutting idea was very good, unfortunately I don't have any flat nuts of the correct size. I will see if I can get any.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A decent pair of pliers and a piece of leather should do it. Don't forget to grip it as close to the hinge of the pliers as you can. If this doesn't work, examine your technique...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:21 PM
tonytiger

lol somtimes i use a blow torch to soften it up then it comes right off.........if that dont work try dynamite
Old 11-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Naw. Dynamite's not good enough. We need to call up Mr. Georgey Bush and ask for some nukular warheads.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: gerwen

Take off the nut that is loosening and use side cutters to grab the threads as close to where they end as you can. This should give you enough grip to loosen the other end.
That is he answer of a noob intent on destroying the shaft smooth gliding face. DO NOT TRY THAT.

Instead go with the leather protection method i.e A BELT. This is the safest way to hold shafts whilst tightening.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I destroyed a pushrod that way...
Old 11-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Metalhack
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Grahama89

That is he answer of a noob intent on destroying the shaft smooth gliding face. DO NOT TRY THAT.
No that way works fine...thats how most people I race with do it and thats how I do it...and I am no noob!

You take the side cutters and grab the last run of the threads. You are not touching the smooth gliding surface you question. It works great. In fact, I think you are more likely to damage the shock shaft using the other method. You may not see the damage though.

One of the mags recently did an article on shock rebuild and this is how they did it also.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:19 PM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: Grahama89

What are you talking about? I said grab the threads, not 'the smooth gliding face'. It will have no effect whatsoever on the shaft.
Think maybe you owe this noob an apology?

Gonna have to try the leather thing though.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:33 PM
pdq 5oh

The threads are pretty fine at the end we're talknig about. The risk of mashing them outweighs the risk of holding with pliers and leather. You'd need some pretty small side cuts to be safe. And don't clamp down too hard. I find it hard to believe the plastic ends are on tight enough that holding the shaft with leather won't work. Double nutting is the best way, though.