Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Good clutch shoes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 AM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good clutch shoes.

Im looking for a set of good aluminum clutch shoes. my budget is $20. i noticed that some clutch setup come with springs... will i need to buy new springs, or are my stock springs still good to use? so far there is the sportwerks standard and light version of their aluminum clutch shoes for $16, and OFNA with their anodized clutch shoes and includes a set of soft and firm springs and some washers. which brand is better? and i also saw some tmaxx clutch shoes w/ a flywheel. will this fit? thanks.

Sportwerks standard clutch shoes http://cgi.ebay.com/SPORTWERKS-SWK91...QQcmdZViewItem

sportwerks Light Clutch shoes http://cgi.ebay.com/SPORTWERKS-SWK91...QQcmdZViewItem

OFNA Clutch shoes with springs http://cgi.ebay.com/Ofna-Aluminum-3-...QQcmdZViewItem

Savage clutch shoes http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Savage-Silve...QQcmdZViewItem

TMaxx setup http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-T-Maxx-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Mugen Clutch shoes http://cgi.ebay.com/Mugen-Aluminum-3...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 AM
WalawalaStore

Default RE: Good clutch shoes.

Hi,

I would suggest OFNA ones because it comes with more springs and washers. 2.5mm washers is not easy to find. If you do have other hardware, you can also try Mugen ones. OFNA and Mugen ones are more race oriented.

Try to run a combination of composite shoes (2) + aluminum shoe (1), you can get easier driving and save lots of money on alu shoes and tires.

Regards

Joaquim
Old 10-16-2006, 06:06 PM
AznBash3r

ok i think im gonna go with ofna because they have more accessories like springs and washers. now i need to know which is better for bashing, silver (hard) purple (med hard) and blue (light). which one is going to wear out less? thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM
tonytiger

if you want the best clutch set up possible ...get the mugen white composite shoes and the 1.1 springs..this has been my clutch set up for the last 2 years and it hasnt failed me yet.....also try to locate some of the blue seal bearings to use ...i think you can get them from the walawala store add on this site......
Old 10-16-2006, 10:02 PM
SyPTo1

if you trully want some good shoes buy them from this guy..

https://www.m2cracing.com/splashPage.hg
Old 10-17-2006, 01:40 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I do not know on a buggy but I ran Nova in my Savage and they work great on an 11-pound truck. All so I like the fact the have threaded holes where you can add setscrews to change the engagement. If they worked well on a 11 pound truck should work great on a 7 or 8 pound buggy.

I have a set of STS shoes someone sent me they want me to try but have not tried the yet so I cannot say.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 PM
AznBash3r

ok im about to order, and it looks to me like Nova has the best one out there. I'm just finiky ([&:]) about the compatibility with the turmoil .26 and these clutch shoes. it says the flywheel peg has to be 2.5mm. i think that sounds right, but i just need a double checking.

46u, how did you set up your clutch shoes? did you add any weights on any shoe? and where do the washers go? sorry, this is my first time buying clutch shoes, especially an aftermarket brand, not oem.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
46u

You put the washers on before the shoes as alloy shoes get burrs on them and this helps to keep them from hitting the flywheel when they do. All so understand there is more maintenance with alloy shoes because you have to file them every so often to take the burrs off. I have not run alloy in my buggy yet only in my 11 pound Savage so it is hard to say as far as in a buggy for set up. In my Savage I ran one long setscrew in them.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 PM
AznBash3r

ok, NOVA 3 shoe aluminum clutch shoes have been ordered. took me forever to find these clutch shoes, because i thought it was NOVArossi! damn im such a noob lol. ordered it on slapmafro, i heard they are pretty good at selling things. thanks for the help.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 PM
46u

Sorry should have included this link but you did not ask.[X(]
http://www.novarcproducts.com/index.html
Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 AM
vti-chris

I've been using the stock black carbon shoes that came with my hyper 7 for 2 years now and they look like new and had no problems with their performance!!

I've used teflon before but after a few runs they get very hard...!

Haven't used alloy shoes and never will...!!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Da Smak
Banned

My favourite setup has been the 2 stock Hyper shoes with one XB8 alloy shoe held by 1.0mm Mugen springs. The reason, It's been the cheapest to run combo I've found and suits my style of driving best. I'm not a blip-blip guy on the throttle, instead I just keep a littlei gas on all the time and geneally drift the corners, hard on tyres but very nice to watch.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:46 PM
AznBash3r

what good will 2 alloy and one stock carbon shoe do me? i still have one carbon left, didn't break down. will it affect performance, good or bad?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

When you say bashing do you mean having a bit of fun with some mate around a track or tearing around some dodging rock and jumping the biggest jumps you can find. If its on a track whether it be at a race meet or not the principle is the same and you'll be trying to get the power down as hard and as fast as possible while keeping it smooth, if this is the case you'll have to experiment to find what you like. Alluminum shoes are more aggressive then carbon then teflon. heavier shoes engage sooner and more aggressivley then light ones, and thicker clutch springs engage later then thin ones. For around a track i'ld start with alluminum and 1.0mm springs then adjust to suit you.

if bashing i'ld go for something that lasted longer because clutch set up would be less important so probably carbon and 1.0mm springs.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:03 PM
1/8racer

hi guys ......just had some questions ..

ive tried alum..with 1.0 spring
composite with 1.0
and just recently composite with 2 ...1.0 and the other 1.1 spring

the last setup for sure gave me a stronger top end....and was just wondering how 1.1 springs all the way around would compare
Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
AznBash3r

....? Aluminum won't last as long as carbon? I think thats what you said jeefff...
Old 10-18-2006, 09:26 PM
46u

In my 11 to 12 pound Savage I got around 3 or 4 gallons of run time out of the Nova. So they should last longer in a 7-pound buggy. Now there are many brands I have read thot do not last as long. I will say the aluminum do hook up great but are high maintenance.

Right now I am trying an XTM sliding clutch in my Savage to try and cut down on maintenance. I am running the stock shoes in my Hyper 8 but have a set of STS aluminum shoes my sponsor sent me I am going to try.