Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Advice on Fine Tuning

Old 10-26-2006, 07:23 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Fine Tuning

Well, the temperature is getting colder and colder, around 45º is average here. Since the chill, the engine starts to idle erraticaly. I try to fine tune, but the idle just keeps getting higher. My guess is that I lower idle screw, lean out the low speed needle, then if it idles on the floor WITHOUT moving and WITHOUT having to touch brakes, I can move on to the HSN. Will increasing idle give in more or less gas to the engine? And sometimes when I adjust the idle screw too low, the engine revs really low at standstill and accelaration bogs for 1-1/2 seconds, then slowly takes off. Any suggestions? I am running Nova clutch shoes with no weight screws attached, and the temperature is getting from 230º to 280º.

BTW, one time I started the car up, pressed the throttle, and the car went backwards. Shut it off, started it, went backwards again. Started it, went forwards finally. What the..... lol
Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Super_Dave

Default RE: Advice on Fine Tuning

Your idle screw has nothing to do with your needle adjustments. All the idle screw does is keep the carb open a certain amount for it to idle. ALWAYS adjust your high speed needle first and your low speed needle 2nd. After you get your high speed needle set then start to set your low speed needle. To set my idle I usually let it idle without it moving for 10 seconds or so then pull full throttle (on the ground) and it should load up with fuel just a little bit then clear out. After you set your mixure screws then set your idle screw to get the idle where you want it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with Super Dave pretty much. Yes all ways adjust you high speed first then your low speed. The high speed affects the low speed adjustment so you set it first. When I adjust my low speed I let it idle for 10 to 15 seconds then give it full throttle and adjust it where it takes off very smooth does not sputter, lag, take off then fall on its face and runs up to full speed smoothly. All ways make your adjustments when it is up to full operating temperature! You might need to put the needles back to factory settings and start all over.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:56 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, I think I see what I am doing wrong. To be honest, I touched the lsn more than the hsn! But can anyone explain to me what might of gone wrong when my car ran backwards?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:35 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

2-cycle engine can start and run back wards just stop it and start it again. I have had this happen to me several times and even seem it on 2 cycle motorcycles as well.