Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Dura Trax Raze

Old 12-22-2006, 05:16 PM
bonin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dura Trax Raze

What are your thoughts on the Dura Trax Raze?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 PM
dryvr

Default RE: Dura Trax Raze

It's better buggy than the duratrax axis ever was.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

does anyone own one yet?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:59 PM
fga

nobody yet? i don't want to be the guniea pig
Old 12-26-2006, 08:34 PM
dac8

I cant beleave i bought another duratrax product,after buying a Warhead back in june and only using it for two weeks because it kept breaking. But today i ordered a Raze from tower got it with a 25 dollar member discount and a free failsafe plus a free 15 dollar gift cirt. the add on the website said free 20 dollar gift cirt. but when i went to the last step in which you pay it came up 15 dollars so i called tower at first the person said ya it will be a $20 cirt. so i asked them to double check they had to talk to a supervisior twice anyways in the end i only got a $15 cirt with the reason being that tower was not liable for typo errors [bought it anyways] So i will see how it is i plan on using the steering servo from my warhead for the Raze per recomended by tower as if you look at the tower add they recommend a better steering servo i might convert it to a truggy as i have all new parts laying around that i bought last year for a buggy to truggy convert It should be a pretty good buggy or truggy in all and i dont care what others say i like the super tigre engine i have been using super tigre engines in my planes for over 15 yrs and have never had one fail the radio will be a fm unit and after i replace the servos it should be fine for now ill leave the grease in the difs will go to silicone at a future date Ill try and check back with more info but for the price and the type of driving ill do it should be fine and hobby services will back it with a great warranty i should have used them on my warhead oh well leason learned well sort of i am still going duratrax
Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
fga

keep us posted, i have been waiting for this to come out. You should do alike a review since you seem to be the first on here with it, like pics of the chassis, etc.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
donny939

I just orderd the raze also. This will be my first nitro rc so ill try to give a review after i get it.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 AM
dac8

I received my raze today.After opening the box and going thru everything i found that they had forgotten to include the decals for the body.I called tower they said no problem and would send some out ASAP.Put fresh batteries in the TX and RX to check operation the front tires would turn right just fine then when they turned left they shook like the batteries were dead or something was binding ,so i pulled off the servo arm and checked everything nothing was binding the servo still glitched when i turned the direction to steer left put it back together with the trim set in the center and the wheels straight.Decided to fix it later.Then i checked all the screws and nuts everything seemed fine .AS ALWAYS i checked the factory mixture screws the LS was set at 12 1/2 correct the HS was set at 3 so fixed that to the factory setting of 4 1/2 put in some trinty 20% primed the engine it started after a few pulls and ran fine only had time for two tanks and was just going real slow and easy but the good news after the clutch wore in a little about 1 minute the thing really showed some good results i could tell it will be a strong runner with good take off and top end the servo quit glitching but this aint a good thing there is a lot of play in the servo now so yes it was binding but inside the servo itself the stock servo is junk from the start will replace for the rest of the break in Am i happy with the raze so far YES will it be a good buggy so far yes would i buy another one YES I will write some more after i have finished break in and figure out how to send pics. from my camera to my pc and i am still going to do a truggy conversion on the raze i think it will do just fine
Old 12-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Kemo

the whole package with the raze makes no sense. 2 channel radio with a 3 channel receiver.

NOTE, the raze is the same thing as the smartech vanguard.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:37 AM
dac8

kemo the 3rd channel is for a transponder so how is the old warhead doing the same as mine being a parts truck
Old 12-31-2006, 02:38 PM
xforgedx

good to hear all the info on these. i am on the fence about ordering and was going to get the ofna. this would be my first nitro car. so keep us informed people.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Kemo

Look at the lack of tuning features. the turnbuckles are thin and weak. they leave you with no room to easily adjust toe and camber. Plastic chassis braces, plastic servo tray... ouch
Old 12-31-2006, 03:58 PM
donny939

dac8 Did you finish breaking it in? I should be getting mine next monday
any tips you have will be appreciated. This is my first nitro rc. I have dirtbikes and quads so I im sure it shoulnt be that difficult to tune right?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:38 PM
dac8

No havent had time to run it some more but i did do some hop ups to it added a DTX sx-200 metal gear hi torque servo for the steering and a 93003 futaba servo for the throttle. But i did notice a little flex in the servo tray when the th servo is at full throttle or brake, a radio with EPA would solve this or a aluminum servo tray but the flex does not affect operation or performance but might after few months or more use due to stress. I also installed some offset jammin truggy wheels /w duratrax low profile mt [on/ off ]road tires which are around 3/4 inch taller so the gearing shouldn't be affected that extreme & put on some shock covers[socks] Also a new heavy duty servo arm for the st servo and different turnbuckles. If i was going to order any more factory hop ups the first would be a sway bar kit maybe a aluminun servo tray and F/R aluminum suspension hinge pin mounts, allmost forgot i also installed a ofna hard anodized 053? dual chamber pipe a onboard venom temp guage,duratrax failsafe [2] fuel filters and new fuel line a radio shack 1 aa battery holder wired in series to the stock 4 aa battery holder so as i can use 5 rechagable aa batteries for rx thats it for now ill check back when i finish breakin it in or add any more hop ups
Old 12-31-2006, 06:04 PM
dac8

donny as far as tuning i noticed most people including myself have a habit of over tuning ie:trying to get a little more punch from the engine the factory guidelines are pretty darn close to spot on set it and leave it Yes i am the pot calling the kettle black but whenever i have had problems in the past from over tuning if i set the mix controls back to factory specs they were just about what i was looking for in the first place and most of my lack of driving skill could not be fixed no matter how much i tweeked the suspension it could only be fixed by tweeking my driver skill
Old 12-31-2006, 06:12 PM
donny939

dac8
thats cool you hooked it up already but can you explain to me what all the aftermarket servos do and what is wrong with the stock one? I am clueless to a servo is besides having something to do with the electric in the remote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
dac8

The stock servo's are fine for everyday use the advantage to metal gear high torque servos are a claim of increased strength to the servo itself mainly internal and the higher torque output helps combat the added stress of a wider tires or extreme conditions. It's kind of like driving a fullsize automobile without power steering then a automobile with power steering.or a automobile without power brakes then with power brakes
Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
donny939

did you order all the parts from tower
Old 12-31-2006, 07:52 PM
dac8

Pretty much so as where i live there is no real LHS so tower-nitrohouse -horizon or hobby people seems to be the best bet sometimes Ebay can also be used but beware as a lot of times its someone elses [used&abused) junk your getting and when it comes to electronic parts beware
Old 12-31-2006, 08:49 PM
donny939

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duratrax-Raze-4-...em330012170801
What do you think about that?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:54 PM
dac8

the link you copied wouldn't work so i looked it up if correct it's a NOVA head for the ST .27 pretty cool has a lot of Bling Bling factor i was thinking about one myself for this summer when the temp outside is around 120f but i don't think its a got to have item but a cool item to have i wonder if it has the same size combustion chamber as the stock head or if smaller would raise compression or larger lower compression just like adding shims or taking out shims. [See their i go thinking about over tuning] I will probley stay with a stock head,[in theory] the ability to tune leaner thus hotter because the head has more area to disapate heat [in theory ] doesn't out weigh the ability to tune correct as ST designed the engine to be tuned if you notice a lot of pro racers detune or smooth out the power band of their engines a little[with multi chamber exhaust pipes and header length] in hope of getting better mileage and when asked about the engine they run, reply it really has more power than is needed to go as fast as they do
Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
donny939

Its supposed to make it run cooler. Are you useing 12 double aa's for the remote conrtol or did you convert to a battery back 7.2
Old 01-01-2007, 07:27 PM
dac8

don't you mean 8 for the radio which if are alkalines 1.5 volts each or 8x1.5 or if rechargables 1.2 volts each or 1.2x8---9.6vs12 and 4 for the rx or 5 same formula as above either way a[ 5 cell 6volt rx pack rechargable]is what i use and either batteries for the tx will work
Old 01-01-2007, 07:57 PM
dac8

well i finally got around 7 tanks thru my raze its a little cold outside so the temp never got over 218 according to the onboard temp monitor i am happy to report the raze runs great the engine produces good power no problem with idle which drops down about 10 secs or so after a run to a smooth burp burp idle, so far the raze is great a little on power push in the steering which is fine the off power steering is dead on quick nothing shows any signs of wear and the brakes work great no fade in fact i had to use the radio trim to take out some of the brake i am not a expert driver or tuner but the raze makes me look better than i am
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM
donny939

do you have any pics of it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.