Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

8ight full circle

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM
MorganSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8ight full circle

Everyone around here has bought the 8, built it up to good specs, hate it, and are now going back to their mugens and kyoshos.

Glad I stuck with my prospec!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Losi8racer

Default RE: 8ight full circle

that's cause you have to stick with it, you cannot drive the 8ight like you do other buggies..if you try to drive it liek a prospec you will find yourself in heaps of problems everywhere... the 8ight needs a certain driving style... i hated mine in the beginning , but no matter what... i was going to stick with it... and i'm happy i did. i turn more constant and faster lap times with teh 8ight then i did with the kyosho.

you have to give the 8ight the time...you can't drive it within a month..it takes ALOT of practice...especially with certain driving styles...
Old 02-15-2007, 08:52 PM
JDRACING

This sounds like a problem to me. If it was that good, it should be suitable for many driving styles. It shouldn't take one month to get in the groove.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

"Everyone around here has bought the 8, built it up to good specs, hate it, and are now going back to their mugens and kyoshos.

Glad I stuck with my prospec! "

Don't knock it until YOU try it. I have one and love it. Maybe it is hard for you.....I mean "people you know" to get use to it because they have been driving their preferred buggy for so long they just don't want to try a different style. Doesn't make them bad drivers and certainly doesn't make the 8ight a bad buggy, just different. It is built on a different platform and the weight is balanced differently than the other platforms. Maybe they don't care for that.....personal preference.

Keep driving your MBX5 buggy if that is what you like. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 PM
MorganSS

lol at "hate the player not the game"

4 of my DIE HARD racers (we travel the country racing) bought them the first day they were out, and have been racing them since then. Well all of them hate have decided to dump them on sgrid and buy back their buggies. I could care less what people drive, Im just stating facts here, Im glad I stuck with the tried and true mugen. Ive driven the8, its a twitchy floppy ride, not my style, I prefer finesse
Old 02-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Losi8racer

ORIGINAL: JDRACING

This sounds like a problem to me. If it was that good, it should be suitable for many driving styles. It shouldn't take one month to get in the groove.

it took me a good 4 races to get used to the buggy (wich is a month) , i always run pro buggy class , have been running that class for the last several years...if i don't break you can pretty much find me in the top 5 , i never said the buggy was THAT much better , i personally can run more consistent from lap to lap and with a lower time.. and we are talking half seconds here at a 34-35 sec lap time... at 20 min , that gives me almost 10 seconds more play room. i had to adjust my driving style , because of the weight distribution teh losi is light in teh rear...even if you run the 3 degree block on it... that's just the way it is... if you run a engine with a good bottom end you will break the rear out every time you nail the throttle with the 8ight coming out of the turn. and because she is so sensitive against steering responses in the beginning you over correct easily...all things you have to get used too.... and that takes a while...

the kyosho i ran wasn't AS sensitive and thus she was more forgivving when you over corrected a bit too much...or you got on the gas a little early.

you drive an 8ight fast with calm/smooth driving and drive it more like a 1/10 2WD truck then a normal 1/8 buggy platform.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 PM
FoamyVictim

...setup...VS...driver's preference.... [:'(] ford, chevy, whatever floats your boat...
Old 02-16-2007, 09:38 AM
jst_mny

I started racing tenth trucks and didn't move to buggies until I had a handle on the control of 2wd as per advice from faster guys. When I did get a buggy I got an mbx5 prospec which was very easy to control and manipulate, but when I switched to the eight I quickly realized that I could do a lot more with it in the aspect of control. I agree that a mellow drive style is key but I've been able to push the eight just fine in traffic or in the open with a significant reduction in lap times and an increase in my overall performance.

Durability of drivetrain bearings is an issue mainly in the center diff, however, I've always been told that in 1/8 buggies bearings are disposable so I made sure that my parts stock is well supplied and frequently changed. ( every other race unless bad track conditions or rough running, then every race, just to keep it crisp and fresh.)

3000 wt and a thinner sway in the back will settle the rear when running a high tourque motor. ( at least for me.)
Old 02-17-2007, 02:18 AM
clifton421

Also if you drop your castor block to the 1 degree blocks on the rear, it will allow the rear to "squat" more and transfer weight to the back easier. This will get you more bite on the rear end especially when punching the throttle.

www.focusprinting.com