Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

New motor break in-ur thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Clark2627

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor break in-ur thoughts

About to drop in the os vzb v-spec into my sp2 and really want to do a good job breaking it in. Ive scoured the internet for different advice and I think im going to us the "heat-cycle" method as suggested by an rcu review. Anyone tried this? Would anyone recommend using a break in fuel, e.g. by trinity, or just use what i plan on running for racing? Just want to get max potential and use out of this motor, everything ive read says its awesome. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 PM
livthemoment

Default RE: New motor break in-ur thoughts

Heat cycle is great.
No do not use break in fuel use what you are planning to run. If decide to change fuel in the future, you will need to re-break in the motor.

remember to heat your motor each time before turning it over to save the con-rod
Old 02-23-2007, 03:48 PM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

heat cycle makes the most sense.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Heat cycle kills V-specs. Too many people who have done it have complained about premature deaths on this forum. I prefer the 6 tank method and both of mine are over 15 gallons and snag free.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Clark2627

6 tank method, care to elaborate for me? thanks da smak
Old 02-23-2007, 05:15 PM
FoamyVictim

Just heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer before trying to start it. Keep the temps over 200 F and rev it a little more each tank. It's not rocket science, just don't push it too hard for a while and it'll break in real nice.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
1/8racer

dont run it too cold will at idle ....its really hard on the crank
Old 02-23-2007, 06:18 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: livthemoment

Heat cycle is great.
No do not use break in fuel use what you are planning to run. If decide to change fuel in the future, you will need to re-break in the motor.

remember to heat your motor each time before turning it over to save the con-rod
You just will need to make minor adjustments not re-break-in.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:11 PM
lachy1

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

ORIGINAL: livthemoment

Heat cycle is great.

You just will need to make minor adjustments not re-break-in.

agreed, i just changed my mach .28 from 20% fuel to 25%, when i finished the 20% i turned my high speed needle 1 full turn richer, then ran 3 tanks at that setting, and then tuned it again, wasnt hard and its running sweeter than ever!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 PM
haasjj

The best advice for breaking in a new engine comes from the instruction manual. I’m not saying this is the easiest way but when you have problems or screw up your new engine and you followed the instructions you don’t break warranty. BTW they have a good idea about a good way to break in their engines.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
1/8racer

hey what do you guys think temps at idle when doing a break in should be
Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 AM
lachy1

Follow the manual, unless you are very expeirenced at breaking in engines /tuning.
90% of the time following the break in method suggested by the manual will be the best option.
If heat cycle shortens v-specs life im sure it will give you a different method other than heat cycle in the manual.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:28 AM
HeLLsGoD

Id follow the manual if you dont know what your doing at least that way your covered by the warranty. Engine manufacturers actually do research on their engine not just preffer some random way of breaking in. Theres been a big war on breaking in your engine since theres sooo many ways you can do it

My preffered way is sort of like the heat cycle method except i let it warm up first for at least 2-3mins before putting it on the ground and start throttling. I do this because most engine manufacturers will recommend you too get your engine to running temps before doing anything at least that way your engine internals have expanded.

Doing the exact heat cycle method which is plopping the car straight away on the ground and throttling doesnt exactly give a cold engine a good time. Its just my way, theres alot of other ways that works but i still have great compression after 5months+