Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

"Which buggy" ... with a twist.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 PM
TGreg24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Which buggy" ... with a twist.

Hi everyone. im buying a 8th scale soon, and i intend on goin the budget way due to the fact that i just want to learn how to set up and run it, with probably no intentions of winning anything.

My Question is which buggy (Cen Matrix Factory Team Edition, Mugen MBX5 [not the "R"], Hyper 8 80%, or the Xray XB8R) will be the best buggy for me. Im looking for a buggy that wont break that easy ( i realize all rc cars break, but i want one that wont break everytime it hits the track, like my tmaxx ), its easy to work on, and i can learn how to / understand 8th scale's set ups.

I really dont care about part availbilty because i order things off the internet anyways.

bottom line is i want a buggy thats fun.

Thank you.

a couple more things, i know the 8ight is a great buggy and so is the mp777 and all that other stuff, but i dont have enough money for them, so if you could keep the selections down to the ones i have listed that would be greatly apprieciated.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
JamieKerr

Default RE: "Which buggy" ... with a twist.

8 8 8 8 8 8 GET THE HYPER 8
iHAVE THE PRO KIT ANDS ITS AWSOME
Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 AM
nik77356

if your budget minded get the hyper 7 tq sport kit then by the center spider diff. the kit itself is only $239.99 and the diff is like $55 and its a good buggy. the only other upgrade is to convert it to pivot ball supsension. so then your only up to like $350-$400. then all you have to buy is the normal kit stuff. ie:engine, electronics
Old 03-14-2007, 12:26 PM
tsunamyboy

why dont you get a kyosho or a losi used from ebay... i got mine from there... and i made a great deal... its just a maner to pick the one you like more!!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
jonnymac

Either the X-ray or the hyper 8 IMO.
if your budget minded get the hyper 7 tq sport kit then by the center spider diff. the kit itself is only $239.99 and the diff is like $55 and its a good buggy. the only other upgrade is to convert it to pivot ball supsension. so then your only up to like $350-$400. then all you have to buy is the normal kit stuff. ie:engine, electronics
I agree the TQ kit is good value but why change to PBS? C-hubs steers better and the Cost of changing would be quite a lot. Just buy CNC knuckles and its tough as a PBS anyway. You don't really need the diff either because the stock ones are pretty good on their own.
Upgrades I would do (and have done) is as follows
CNC knuckles, Turnbuckles, CVDs all round CNC chassis braces. These are pretty much essential IMO
Then I added CNC towers, Carbon upper deck, steering plate and diff plate.
So essentially its a hyper 7 pro now.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: nik77356

Or for about the same if you shop around get the Hyper 8. I did some shopping around and picked up my Hyper 8 pro kit shipped for $375.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
TGreg24

ok like i said before from the list, the reason why i dont want a used buggy, is because all my past cars have been used, and they all have wear on them and dont last. i just want a new kit, and i want to build it. i dont want the hyper 7 because im stubborn and its old.

originally i wanted the cen matrix, but i think if i had to make a list in the order that i wanted it it would be, Xray, Hyper 8, Matrix, mbx5.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 PM
nik77356

pbs i think is bette because with a c-hub you can only change to in .25 degrees. with a pbs you have infinite toe angles and you dont have to buy toe plates. i have plenty of steering with my buggy with pbs. and i only suggested the diff because thats what came on mine and i love it. but if you do get it you will have to mess with your diff oils a lot. i run 3,3,5 in mine.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
clifton421

If you are really budget minded and have an extra vehicle the you don't run anymore, you can send in the old chassis to Cen and get a Matrix Factory Edition for $329 (I think), Matrix RTR for $300, or a Matrix ARR (80% built) for $200. Just check on Cen's website under Special Programs.

www.focusprinting.com
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 PM
nik77356

ya i like focus' idea. and the cen ft buggy is a great buggy. especially for $300
Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
hoousi

Easier is to get the Cen matrix pro for 359$ from amainhobbies without trading in an old roller... you'll get more than 30 bucks for a old roller on ebay.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM
TGreg24

Easier is to get the Cen matrix pro for 359$ from amainhobbies without trading in an old roller... you'll get more than 30 bucks for a old roller on ebay.
yea thats exactly what im doing, im not messing around with that program. all the buggies i listed are from amainhobbies and they are all under 410 dollars. those are the only buggies i want. for some reason im really starting to ike the xray, but the hyper is still really appieling and so is the matrix. also i think im gonna cut the mbx5 outta the list, it seems old. but if it is better than any of the other ones than i keep it in consideration.

so the list is:
1. Xray Xb8r
2. Hyper 8
3. Cen Matrix Factory team Edition
Old 03-14-2007, 06:21 PM
2916jr

ORIGINAL: nik77356

actually it is 199.99 with a center diff but I can keep up with a pro hyper 8 with my hyper 7 tq sport with a modified os 21 rg
Old 03-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XB8R beyond a shadow of a doubt, but then, I would say that.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 PM
what_stanger

I love my XB8TQ. So I'm sure the R is pretty damn good. I can't vouch for durability, but quality of xray is awesome. I know its pretty common to hear, but I've got one so its not just hearsay for me anymore.

I would go xray. I was worried about parts support. Honestly I haven't broken the car to need the support yet. Its everything I hoped it would be and then some. A great car.

If you're leaning Xray, you might as well just fall over and buy it already!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 PM
TGreg24

gahhh yea thats what im thinking, cause i owned an ofna buggy before and it was nice, but i wasnt impressed; plus everyone at my track has hypers, mp777, and 8ights, and i love to be different. there may be one other xray there but i doubt it. blah i guess its gonna be the Xray, unless people can still sway me. i get paid tomorrow, my ebay ads end on sunday & tuesday, and i get paid again on the 30th. so i still have a while.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:03 PM
what_stanger

out of the ones you're debating. I would get the Xray, Mugen, or Hyper8.

The only reason I would say xray or mugen over the hyper 8 is because you can build the xray and mugen yourself. I like to build kits as I'm sure most of us do. That way you know it was done right, and you can set it up from the start to suite you and your track(s).

The MBX5 is still a very very capable car, I'm not sure if the old prospec is even around anymore?
I'd be driving a mugen had I not bought my xray!