Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OCM vs TTR s3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:25 AM
porkchopsx2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OCM vs TTR s3

ok guy help me out on this one.

I just need opinions and general info and prefernces.

which way would you go.

OCM Kaos 19 buggy
or
Thunder Tiger EB4 S3

Either or will have a good motor. Again have to choose between STS 21 B or JAmmin Picco .21 with the red head.

I have a .28 jammin on my truggy and surely cant go wrong with that one but I have seen plenty of good STS.

Anyone please?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 AM
dbuggyracer

Default RE: OCM vs TTR s3

ocm is a descent car just its kinda new and all of the kinks havent all been got out of the car so you would probley have some problems with it at first but it probley will be a solid ride after that.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM
TGreg

OCM isnt that new, its just new in the USA if you go to neobuggy.net and look at their race reports, the OCM doesnt really win anything, but it does stay in the top ten most of the time, which means theres deffinately something good about it. the S3 is a great little buggy, but its getting up there in age, and you do have to do some upgrades with the chassis and other things before its a true competitor.

id say give the OCM a try, the only thing i hear is some ppl say the diffs suck, but i believe they fixed that.

as for engines, i have an sts d21t and i love it, but the picco/jammin' might be better. its actually just an updated P7r i believe, and those engines scream

both the sts and the jammin will be plenty of engine for you.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM
TGreg

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...key_OCM/tm.htm
here you go!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TTR every time, underrated car.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
porkchopsx2

from what I have seen so far that kind of bugs me about both is that the S3 is an old model (how old it is anyway)
while the OCM is some sort of copy and replica like of Xray. It also sounding pretty average car though I might be totally wrong
Old 07-10-2007, 03:23 PM
TGreg

they both have their flaws, if your in that price range, you can concider the matrix, maybe an 8ight, maybe a xray XB8r, or maybe even a mugen mbx5.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
SManMTB

So how many in this thread actually own one?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

I do!!.......oh wait......no I don't
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a buddy of mine has just been given an OCM drive
his first experiences weren't to good as the diffs kept stripping (the main gear & drive pinion)
apparently his was a very early car & he now has the newer gears etc
he did a lot of testing at our track a few weeks ago & has had NO problems in 3 gallons
i think as long as you're careful with shimming the diffs in their housings the car should stay together pretty well
also the diffs & shocks hold their oil well and don't pour out like some other cars & he said the wear rate on everything else seems prety good too!
as soon as it stops raining i should be able to give you some feedback on the car under race conditions although i know he was pushing hard in testing with no breakages

to me the car looks more like a copy of the MBX5 but with the alloy finished in black with the silver highlight in the xray style

i'll see if i can get him on here to answer any Q's but for now pay atention to the diff shimming & you should be fine
Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 PM
sh

the ocm is one of the best steering buggys on the market. a mbx5r got brought over to our pit table on the weekend & the bump steer it has is terrible & lack the steering throw compared to the ocm. the ocm also is one of the better buggys that i have driven throught the rough stuff.

the ocm DT-19 was released to market at the same time the US received theres, the earlier results people have seen are a pre-production models (prototype).

the OCM also is a very easy buggy to drive fast, & the thing i love about the car it responds to setup changes very well.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM
RCtruckRacer

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

So how many in this thread actually own one?
I own the TTR S3. Its good enough that I just cannot justify getting anything new yet.... Not next year either. Maybe the year after though. That will make 4 seasons on the buggy! I LOVE the quality and build of the Xrays, don't much care for their M.O. of redesigning things every year - it makes parts hard to find locally.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:37 AM
porkchopsx2

Thanks guys for all the info.

Guess its OCM over TTR.

From what I have heard here and elsewere OCM steers better then MBX5.

I dont really like the looks of matrix so I skipped that one.
Kyoshso is hard to get part around here, for the buggy at least.
Losi 8 is good but again no parts only through internet and would take forever.
Jammin. Now I love this one escpecially the new FTE but my friend has one and would be nice to have something different.
And TTR S3 is getting a bit outdated. Well thats a pity I liked that one
Old 07-11-2007, 07:10 PM
ringneck

well i own both and have run my ocm for a month now heres my take on it, it came in a crappy old card board box with ocm stamped on it not the nice mugen style case they show in pics. second the plastic is plain horrible waaaay to soft ALL my diff case screws that go through the bottom of the chassis are stripped that should be the strongest part of the buggy also my front and rear diffs flex inside the case due to over soft plastic and plus all the a arm screws are gone and same with radio tray and center diff mount screws as well. my cvd's are all starting to show pre mature wear as well the car does handle decent but not better than any other buggy also the manuel is off from the car the set up in the manuel will not be the right set up for youre car as they updated and changed stuff on the car but never updated the manuel. i talked to a team driver and i was told to GLUE my screws into the plastic holes LOL im sorry im not gonna GLUE my buggy together bottom line is the car isnt up to par and its not worth the 500.00 you will pay for it. if you dont want a ttr thats fine i would just buy a mugen or xray both cars are far better in quality and they stand behind them in one year you wont here from ocm. my ttr handles just as good as my ocm and the parts quality is not even in the same ball park. the guy that posted above is probley sponcerd but ocm. me and a race buddy made a huge mistake this summer and bought thease turds and now we whant to get rid of them badly i didnt even have one bid on ebay of all places. trust me i would much rather see you get something different. you will thank me in the long run. plus parts are hard to get amain hobbies is the only supplier that i know of and they have limited parts and the parts that show back order have been that way for months now wich tells me ocm isnt doing there job at kepping the parts flowing. if you want an ocm i will sell you mine for 150.00 cause thats all its worth.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
TGreg

i agree, just get what you want, if you want the ttr get it. all buggies will be good and all buggies will need somework/upgrades.

get what looks the best to you.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM
sh

ok, so lets have a look back at other buggys released to the market & what the first run production kits where like LOSI,MUGEN, XRAY, etc have all had issues in more than one area. the people at OCM are fully aware of the problems that come about in the first run of kits & have since done something about it.

OCM have dedicated people who are also very supportive of its product.

many issues i have seen is due to people over tightning screws, i would advise if you have had these issues to contact support in your area.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 AM
porkchopsx2

wow ringneck thas some bad reviews made me kind of worried.

Any body else had such bad experience with OCM?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 AM
losilover

i've run races quite a few weekends, and i know the manager of OCM personally, and he has never had any problems with his buggy at the races i've been at that he raced. i've never heard of him having any problems either at any other races. and ringneck i've heard of lots of people using CA on metal to plastic contacts in many buggys, that's what i've done on some stuff with my buggy. maybe you just got a first run kit where the stuff wasn't fixed in it yet.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
porkchopsx2

So losilover you think that ringneck, with all due respect for him, might be a little bit too over negative?

The way he made it sound it was like a bomb about to explode. Agian I am not bashing ringneck at all but its the easiest buggy I can get hold of inregards to parts and it being a new model and I would like some really hard opinions to write it completly off my books
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Kemo

a buggy should ONLY be compared to another buggy that has the same exact equipment you plan to use. Otherwise, its nowhere near fair to compare.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Danno

OCM beat everyone at the local points race here this weekend .
Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 PM
sh

ORIGINAL: porkchopsx2

So losilover you think that ringneck, with all due respect for him, might be a little bit too over negative?

The way he made it sound it was like a bomb about to explode. Agian I am not bashing ringneck at all but its the easiest buggy I can get hold of inregards to parts and it being a new model and I would like some really hard opinions to write it completly off my books
i have now run my OCM for 4 race meetings, each race meeting consisting of three 10 minute qualifyers, 15 minute semi & 30 minute finals, which works out at 75 minutes race time each meeting (300 minutes in total) + practice time, no problems.

i do maintain the car after every race meet & have only had to replace a spur gear due what looked like a small rock rounding the gears a little to much.

can not speak for the TTR as i have never seen one race. you might want to check out the OCM DT19 thread over at the trinity forums, most team drivers post setups & support on that site, & are a good bunch of blokes.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Hincappe

i look at amainhobbies, they got 95% of the part in stock.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 PM
RCtruckRacer

IMO too much is made over what someone runs, and not enough about the driver. This is especially true for local club racing. In some respects, the best local racer will be able to take most anything (not all of course) and win. So, I would say that you are much better off getting the buggy that you can most easily get parts for and the one you can get the best setup advice for. JMO
Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 AM
porkchopsx2

Thanks to everyone people.

Then OCM it is with a .21 jammin on top.

Nothing beats that engine : )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.