Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Hyper 7 Set up for slipery surface ??

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Hyper 7 Set up for slipery surface ??

Old 09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Biscuit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper 7 Set up for slipery surface ??

Hi, been running my Hyper 7 on grass which has been fine, but now we are running indoors on a slipery dusty floor, now no matter what tyres I run I cant get it right. I am looking to be able to flick it in to corners then power it round to get the back to brake away and tighten up the turn like my old Tamiya does, but the Hyper will push in the corners and when I try to give it some power to drift it round it just goes wider, think this is a diff set up problem ie, too much power going to the front wheels, can anybody point me in the right direction as to what diff oils I should be running front, back, and centre, plus maybe damper oil.
Thanks,
Steve.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:42 PM
flatlander_14

Default RE: Hyper 7 Set up for slipery surface ??

You'll want to thicken up your middle and rear diff fluids, probably moreso the middle than rear.

As a starting point I'd try 7000/10000/4000 or so.

Is it dusty as in dust on a concrete floor or dusty as in just loose dirt. If it's the latter, it sounds like my track and for me I have been running 7000/7000/3000 but my driving style isn't whip it around, it feels like it's on rails more than loose, but if you get stupid with the throttle it will spin if you want.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 PM
j_blaze

1. find a sticky surface

2. try setting the brake bias to give more power to the rear brakes. i ran my 7 with just rear brakes a while and it does just what you are looking for, whips around slippery corners. i run 7,10,3 oils. the only problem with the rear-only brakes is in the jumps it doesn't drop the nose down fast enough, i like to have a responsive flier in the air. on carpet if i hold the front of the buggy up the rears lock. if i hold the rear up the front has just a a bit of tension, a little more than noticeable. then i use the dual rates on the dx2 and adjust it to the track conditions and brake fade. good luck though. you'll soon see why the "whip the rear" technique isn't the best when you end up a couple laps short on you tanks
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Da Smak
Banned

You sound like you want to drive the way I do, so in that case I suggest, you stiffen the shocks up with the white springs and possibly 40-45 wt oil, try 5k-10k-1k in the diffs and get some long spike tyres like the Hobao Angle spikes, all 3 of these measures will get you mor grip on a hard packed slippery dusty surface. You could also just attack the corners with a little less speed and in turn you can start the exit a little earlier meaning you'll be at a higher speed earlier than you competitors down the following striaights.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Biscuit

ORIGINAL: Da Smak

You sound like you want to drive the way I do, so in that case I suggest, you stiffen the shocks up with the white springs and possibly 40-45 wt oil, try 5k-10k-1k in the diffs and get some long spike tyres like the Hobao Angle spikes, all 3 of these measures will get you mor grip on a hard packed slippery dusty surface. You could also just attack the corners with a little less speed and in turn you can start the exit a little earlier meaning you'll be at a higher speed earlier than you competitors down the following striaights.
Thanks guys, so the thicker oil in the back will give me more drive to the rear wheels ?? will this stop my front tires balloning almost twice ther size down the straight? is the 5k-10k-1k going from the back or ie, 5k back 10kmiddle, and 1k front.
Thanks.
Steve
Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Firmeing up the rear suspension stops it sitting down when you hit the gas and so the fronts are forced into getting more traction. Diff specs are always given - front center rear, the 10K in the center will stop the tyres balooning so much, but you can always go for firmer foam inserts too.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:03 PM
j_blaze

... also set your rear toe angle to straighter rather than toe in, works good to for on-power slide.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Biscuit

ORIGINAL: Da Smak

Firmeing up the rear suspension stops it sitting down when you hit the gas and so the fronts are forced into getting more traction. Diff specs are always given - front center rear, the 10K in the center will stop the tyres balooning so much, but you can always go for firmer foam inserts too.
Thanks, getting the diffs out now, so lighter oil in the back it is, also will firm up the shocks,
Cheers guys
Steve.