Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Did i buy an out of date buggy

Old 02-16-2008, 06:28 PM
BackFilp 360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i buy an out of date buggy

One more question. Is the hyper 7 out of date. Not competive enough. Im guessing that the 8 and 8.5 that most of the spot light now . Did the 7 win any big races it its time
Old 02-16-2008, 06:36 PM
jonnymac

Default RE: Did i buy an out of date buggy

The hyper 7 is plenty good enough unless you are a serious racer. As you ask the question i assumje youre not. Its still the best value all round performing budget buggy IMO
Old 02-16-2008, 06:44 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

The hyper 7 is plenty good enough unless you are a serious racer. As you ask the question i assumje youre not. Its still the best value all round performing budget buggy IMO
+1 the hyper 7 is hard to beat for the price
Old 02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
jonnymac

And to answer the question on races, in 2004 it TQ's the worlds. hence the TQ monika.
So yes it is still competative in the right hands. It has been eclipsed by the hyper 8 but its still the number 1 club racers buggy in the UK. You have to spend quite a bit more to get anything to compare
Old 02-16-2008, 06:54 PM
BackFilp 360

that was what I was thinking. It fells very solid and hands good ,parts are easy to find. I just need to second my opinion. O what are good upgrades for thr hyper 7 . I have pbs and some pcr and carbon stuff . Anything else
Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 PM
jonnymac

if its got CVD's all round, just get a decent radio with a 6v battery pack and steering servo, a good engine pipe combo. Other than that just make sure your tyres are upto the task.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
TheKaiman

Nothing wrong with the hyper 7 at all. I'm sure you know by now it's hard to beat for the money. Yes, a two or three year old buggy is more than race worthy in capable hands. I know a lot of guys who still use them and the do just fine. As long as parts are available for them you are golden.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:56 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with the hyper 7. If your not near the front of the field with one its not the buggies fault.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Allan Aguilar

In my opinion, the Hyper 7 is not an out-of-date buggy, it it just not that popular to racers anymore. If you are a hardcore racer, definitely the Hyper 7 may not have that competitive edge. However, if you enjoy bashing with other guys or racing on a club level, the Hyper 7 is more than enough, just get a high performance engine and pipe and do a lot of practice.

I purchased a used Ravager last year, and I managed to build another Ravager out of parts from on-line auctions. I enjoy playing with this buggy and I have not considered my buggy as Out-Of-Date.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
stz28

The 8's and 8.5's have incremental improvements over the 7. Better radio box, fuel tank, chasis braces and motor mounts. However, much of the mechanicals are the same and the suspension layout is similar. Yes, 8.5's are better, but a 7 will run with it.

Remember, the top drivers are paid to use the latest and greatest products. Much of it is about marketing to increase sales.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Zonk

Hyper 7's are great, Hyper 8's are better but your not going to see much difference with the right setup. Hyper 8's turn better though.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
xxx123

I used to have a Hyper 7, was great but got something better. Use the H7 as a starting point if you buy it as a used buggy. But, for new buy, I will pick the cen matrix as they are about the same price range. The stuff that comes with the Kit for H7 is not that useful. The matrix RTR at leasthas better radio and the resale is stronger.....
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM
RcRacer37E

Out of date, no, old yes. The buggy and truggy sceen is always changing. Seems like every year the update from 7 to 8 to 8.5 or sp1 sp2 wc its hard to keep up. Perhaps not the best on the market but still a good all around buggy.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: xxx123

I used to have a Hyper 7, was great but got something better. Use the H7 as a starting point if you buy it as a used buggy. But, for new buy, I will pick the cen matrix as they are about the same price range. The stuff that comes with the Kit for H7 is not that useful. The matrix RTR at leasthas better radio and the resale is stronger.....
I beg to differ on the resale of the Matrix... Those things go for dirt cheap on the Bay. I have seen Matrix RTRs for $150-$175. You typically won't get a Hyper 7 RTR for <$200. Resale is a moot point anyways since people don't buy these for resale- these aren't used cars.

This H7 gets me around the track fast enough...

Here is what I like about older buggies- it keeps you out of the hype of the 'latest and greatest'. When you know you aren't trying to get the latest and greatest most expensive crap, a funny thing happens. You focus less what you don't have and focus more on how your buggy works and responds to tuning. If there is no pressure to be on the cutting edge, you will be more relaxed and comfortable with running the H7. Get the H7, and really understand how tuning effects it. When you master all aspects of the H7 and you are winning A-Mains, then you look at upgrading your buggy. In the meantime you are fine.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
jah3142

Hi iv just bought a hyper 7 pro ... just wondering without openeing my own post what the best engine and matching exhaust is for racing?
.21 engine?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:16 AM
jonnymac

How much do you want to spend on each? Do you want out right speed, low down torgque or a good combination?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
jah3142

about £130 for the both a good all-rounder really