Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Turmoil racers

Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM
supertool28
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turmoil racers

Hi I wanted to start a thread for Turmoil racers to talk racing. I own a Turmoil pro I run a Specrtum DX3.0 radio with a Hitec 5645 steering servo and a Futaba s3305 for the throttle.
So far I have not put it on the track. I just got it a few days ago and have to break it in and get everything set up. I do however plan to put in some track time this weekend and I will be running the Georiga state pro series. I will try to add to this at least once a week and hope others will follow.
LETS RACE
Old 03-09-2008, 06:10 PM
johntammi

Default RE: Turmoil racers

I appreciate your enthusiasm, I've been looking for racers to get on here and share their thoughts. Maybe we can just keep this in the turmoil thread.
How do your like your DX3 and will it support a personal transponder?
Welcome aboard!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM
youwish16

i have a turmoil that i want to race, im just not ready as a driver. so far ive only had it on the track once since its only about 2 weeks old. mine runs good but the day i was at the track, it pushed like a dump truck in the corners so im thinking on buying a new steering servo
Old 03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
P bomstad

the pushintg may not be so much the srevo as the setup. It will push even with a digital high spped servo if you cant get the weight of the buggy to transfer to the front tires when you let off the throttle. Alot of steering response is in throttle and breaking control. What have you changed on your breaking arms. You may also want to change the oil in your differential so that more of the engines power transfers to the rear wheels when you first get on the throttle when exiting the corners. I would recommend going to the track and suffer through some bad races or heats. If the other racers there are cool at all some of them should be more than happy to expell some of their wisdom on you. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:31 PM
JMcDonald

Did it push on- or off-power? What steering servo are you using?

You might try giving the vehicle more negative camber in the front (lean the front wheels in) or less in the rear (lean the rear wheels out) - whichever would be more reasonable to do from your current setup.

Also, what diff fluids are you running? AFAIK, thicker fluid in the center will make it act a little more like a RWD and bring the rear around more. Also, loosening up the front brakes might help steering while braking.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 AM
youwish16

it pushed when i was giving it gas. it was the first time it saw the track so it wasnt really setup for it

7000wt center, 5000wt front and 1000wt rear
Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Furadi

ORIGINAL: youwish16

it pushed when i was giving it gas. it was the first time it saw the track so it wasnt really setup for it

7000wt center, 5000wt front and 1000wt rear
Any idea what degree of caster your running?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:10 PM
tyro

Just got into the sport and thanks for starting this thread, I have a Turmiol RTR with very little problems I happy with my choice, What shock oil wt. do you recommend for track use, pretty rough track.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
JMcDonald

How big are the bumps that make the track "rough?" My rule of thumb is that if the bumps are less than maybe 2", then a softer fluid like 30wt would be better. If it is smoother than 40-50wt would be better. I have the stock 30wt in there, but I will probably swap it to 40 for a better overall ride. Right now my setup would really be best suited for a level yet bumpy track that didnt have too many jumps.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 PM
supertool28

hi all just an update. I started my pro today I cound not believe how tight the pinch was on the V2 .21 engine. It took alot of work to get it going the first time. But after three tanks I can tell this is going to be a great engine. First track day will be this weekend.

As far as the Turmoil with the push. You do need a strong steering servo, but befor you start making all kinds of adjustments on the car. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Do not make adjustments until you can do laps with out crashing. Only then will you really see the affect of the adjustments. Hope you keep driving don't give up speed will come.

LETS RACE
Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Furadi

ORIGINAL: supertool28

hi all just an update. I started my pro today I cound not believe how tight the pinch was on the V2 .21 engine. It took alot of work to get it going the first time. But after three tanks I can tell this is going to be a great engine. First track day will be this weekend.

As far as the Turmoil with the push. You do need a strong steering servo, but befor you start making all kinds of adjustments on the car. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Do not make adjustments until you can do laps with out crashing. Only then will you really see the affect of the adjustments. Hope you keep driving don't give up speed will come.

LETS RACE
How strong? 403 oz? I keep seeing/hearing that you need a monster steering servo if your car pushes. This information could not be farther from the truth. I stuck a spektrum/JR z590 in my hyper 8 for the heck of it, didn't make a bit off difference. The best way that I have found to get more steering is to reduce caster.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM
supertool28

ORIGINAL: Furadi

LETS RACE
How strong? 403 oz? I keep seeing/hearing that you need a monster steering servo if your car pushes. This information could not be farther from the truth. I stuck a spektrum/JR z590 in my hyper 8 for the heck of it, didn't make a bit off difference. The best way that I have found to get more steering is to reduce caster.
wow 403?? I just said that you do need a strong servo not crazy I run a 133oz it is more than enough. As far as caster adjustments yes it is true changing caster will affect your steering. What you seemed to miss is that I said make sure you can drive good first. Once you can get your car around the track consistantly then try adjustments.
If you car is pushing try driving different. The person who first asked about the push stated that it was his first time at the track and that it pushed on power. sounds like he is driving in to deep not that the car needed ajustment.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Furadi

ORIGINAL: Furadi

LETS RACE
wow 403?? I just said that you do need a strong servo not crazy I run a 133oz it is more than enough. As far as caster adjustments yes it is true changing caster will affect your steering. What you seemed to miss is that I said make sure you can drive good first. Once you can get your car around the track consistantly then try adjustments.
If you car is pushing try driving different. The person who first asked about the push stated that it was his first time at the track and that it pushed on power. sounds like he is driving in to deep not that the car needed ajustment.
Gotcha, 133 oz is average, not 'strong'. The crazy locals at my track only run 300+ oz servo's.. Its all I ever hear about.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
fatkidjoey

yea i run a 333oz in my turmoil [>:] on my track i run 2deg out and 50wt shock oil in front and 40 in rear
Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 PM
supertool28

Hi all. Just ran the pro on the track today. WOW what a car. This car has very plush suspension and more steering than you could ever want.
The track today was very loose but I was able to drift the corners most of the time but it was touch and go. Very easy to over power the corners and spin out. As far as jumping the car was pretty good but on the small justs it did tend to nose dive but not on the big jumps. I ran the suspention with no preload on the shocks. I'm going to the something different next time. As far as the V2 .21 this engine is great more power than I expected. I was able to out run other cars on the straights and out pull them out on the corners it was amazing. I still have not leaned it out to race temps yet so I know that it has more power to go. Todays temps were 180.
I did break a front ball on the third tank though so todays practice was cut short.
I love this car.
How are others doing? Anyone going to race this weekend? How are your cars running? Has anyone had any problems?

LETS RACE!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
supertool28

hi all. Hows everyone doing? I've been getting alot of track time lately and this is the setup I have found works best for me.
FT toe pos.1 degree
ft camber neg 1 degree
caster set all the way forward
rear toe pos. 3 degrees
rear camber neg. 2 degrees
shock oil 30 ftont and rear
blue springs on the front shocks with no preload
gray springs on the rear shocks with no preload
front shocks lower mount outside upper mount top center
rear shocks mounted center on the control arm and bottom center on the top
rear wing set level
This set up gives lots of steering off power going into the corners and still good steering on power coming out
I currently run 7000 wt in the center diff but plan to change to 10,000 wt to get the front tires to pull a little more I run a very loose dry track and the rear end is easy to over power coming out of the turns.
My track is in Savannah Ga. The track has been dry and fluffy makeing it very loose and easy to over power the turns. It also is rough and very bumpy. Most of the track is tight with small jumps but it does have one very large jump after a small straight and one long straight going into a 90 degree turn.
I hope this helps someone. If anyone has found a good setup that they like please post it and tell about the track that you run on.

LETS RACE
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
youwish16

i went to a baseball field the other day to get used to driving on the clay. when i got the engine turned i would into a corner slow then gun it when i got through the corner it would spin out. but if i fly through the corner it would stick and wouldnt spin out. im starting to get the hang of it but i dont have a track around here and the closest one is like an hour away. i plan on going to a track this weekend, just havent decided which one yet
Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
JMcDonald

hi all. Hows everyone doing? I've been getting alot of track time lately and this is the setup I have found works best for me.
FT toe pos.1 degree
ft camber neg 1 degree
rear toe pos. 3 degrees
rear wing set level
This set up gives lots of steering off power going into the corners and still good steering on power coming out
I currently run 7000 wt in the center diff but plan to change to 10,000 wt to get the front tires to pull a little more I run a very loose dry track and the rear end is easy to over power coming out of the turns.
My track is in Savannah Ga. The track has been dry and fluffy makeing it very loose and easy to over power the turns. It also is rough and very bumpy. Most of the track is tight with small jumps but it does have one very large jump after a small straight and one long straight going into a 90 degree turn.
I hope this helps someone. If anyone has found a good setup that they like please post it and tell about the track that you run on.

LETS RACE
1) When you say your caster is all the way forward, do you mean tilted forward? As in the lower arms toward the rear and the upper arms toward the front? That is how I have mine. I did that to get a little more steering .

2) Thicker fluid in the center diff will make it more likely to spin out under power, actually. You might drop it to 5k.

I am trying to decide if I should go up to 2k or 3k diff fluid in the center. It pushes a bit more than Id like when on power, but I don't know how big of a difference it will make. I don't want to put 2k in and end up not getting any real difference and wishing I had done 3k. At the same time I don't want to go to 3k and end up with something that is only good for donuts.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 PM
supertool28

ORIGINAL: JMcDonald

FT toe pos.1 degree
ft camber neg 1 degree
rear toe pos. 3 degrees
rear wing set level

LETS RACE
1) When you say your caster is all the way forward, do you mean tilted forward? As in the lower arms toward the rear and the upper arms toward the front? That is how I have mine. I did that to get a little more steering .

2) Thicker fluid in the center diff will make it more likely to spin out under power, actually. You might drop it to 5k.

I am trying to decide if I should go up to 2k or 3k diff fluid in the center. It pushes a bit more than Id like when on power, but I don't know how big of a difference it will make. I don't want to put 2k in and end up not getting any real difference and wishing I had done 3k. At the same time I don't want to go to 3k and end up with something that is only good for donuts.
HI. I have the upper arms all the way forward. as far as the center diff. Heaver oil will somewhat lock the diff and make all four wheels spin harder. I used to run 15000 in my ofna and really liked it. I just wanted to step up alittle this time. My local track is really loose but if you run on a high bite surface a thinner oil will transmit more power to the wheels with the low traction meaning the front. this may be good if you want if to feel like a front wheel drive but if not go heavy.

Saturday is round 1 on the Georgia state pro series. I cann't wait. I will report on how I run. So far the sign up shows that I will be running against a bunch of Losi's. I plan to hurt some feelings.

LETS RACE!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 PM
supertool28

wow Turmoil pro finishes 5th in the GA PRO Series rd 1
Hi all. I ran the round 1 of the Ga Pro series and finished 5th in in the A main.
What a amazing race the A main was 30 mins. at the 3 min point I lost a front tire and thanks to a great pic man I was able to get going again fast and raced back up to 4th. Then at the 17 min point I had a tie rod come off and I thought I was done, but once again thanks to a great pit I was back on the track in under 2 mins in 12th place. Then I raced my heart out and was able to get back up to 5th. What a great day and a great thanks to Tony my pit man to get me back one the track so fast when it looked like I was done. I could not have done so good with out him.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM
JMcDonald

Nice! It sounds like you might have even been able to win (or get very close to it) without those little mishaps!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 PM
youwish16

i ran at the track on saturday. had tons of fun and get alot of practice in. i think im almost ready to race!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
supertool28

ORIGINAL: youwish16

i ran at the track on saturday. had tons of fun and get alot of practice in. i think im almost ready to race!
Thats great. Keep it up the more you drive the faster you will get. As for racing if you have enough control to feel confortable go for it. Everyone crashs alot at first just go for it. That what the novice class is for.

LETS RACE
Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM
supertool28

Hi all. If you have not heard yet the Turmoil Pro has been discontinued. This sucks. I hope some people will continue to run it. As for me I have only had mine you a month and I plan to race it all year and maybe longer. I will still post how I am doing at the races. I hope others will too.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
rican25

wow that sucks to hear the the Turmoil got discontinued as I just got mine today!!! got a pretty good deal on a used one with some other stuff but that sucks about it not gonna be around for much longer. oh well better stock up on parts now!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.