Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Ofna Chrome Top wont work with my MBX5R

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Ofna Chrome Top wont work with my MBX5R

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Skillhouette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna Chrome Top wont work with my MBX5R

I have an Ofna chrome top... The starter wheel will not go far enough into the chassis to hit the flywheel... I have a spare chassis that i tested it on.. Maybe my motor mounts? I have kings head extended motor mounts... I am pretty angry at the moment... Is there any kind of trick to getting it to work with the Mugen? Anyone else ever had problems with this? I am so angry!!!! The top of the starter wheel comes flush with with the inside of the chassis... Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 PM
thopper

Default RE: Ofna Chrome Top wont work with my MBX5R

I need a pic at least I have seen dozens of Mugens use the chrome top.Do you have the mugen flywheel on the car or something else?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Skillhouette

Stock Mugen flywheel... Everywhere i read says the box is compatible... I cant get pictures of it right now... I have track day 2morrow!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Skillhouette

I can get it to touch the wheel... but i dont think it is touching it enough... Especially trying to break in this GO... My flywheel comes to about the middle of the chassis... The starter wheel would barley be touching it before it started scraping the wheel off on the chassis... Damn hope i dont have to buy a new box 2morrow...
Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 AM
youwish16

i had that problem with my buggy and my ofna box. i had to buy a different motor mount for mine, works like a charm now. you might could get away with buying a bigger flywheel but im not sure cause i dont own a mugen.

also if the flywheel does touch, maybe its that the motor is to tight to turn over since its a new one. you might want to heat up the motor and give it a try
Old 06-26-2008, 06:05 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: Skillhouette

I can get it to touch the wheel... but i dont think it is touching it enough... Especially trying to break in this GO... My flywheel comes to about the middle of the chassis... The starter wheel would barley be touching it before it started scraping the wheel off on the chassis... Damn hope i dont have to buy a new box 2morrow...
You say you are breaking in a GO? I think maybe your motor is still too tight for the box to turn it over. Everyone around me uses that box and some of them have Mugens with no problems at all. A new motor will make you think the box will not work but ends up the motor too tight.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Damin69

I use the stock R motor mount no problem with the chrome top. The only thing I am useing that is differnt is that I have the DSR strater plate for the MBX5T on my box. It is modified to work witht the Buggy. But even if I didnt have that I am sure I could get the chrome top to start the buggy with out a diffeent motor mount. I have used both the Werks Clutch and the Prospec fly wheel no problems. I would just set your chassis flat on the box and have your box posts hit the side of the chassis that way you dont have any extra air space then your box wheel should hit the fly wheel.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
hrdcoreglf

You can set your front posts so your chassis sits on the top plate of the starter box , and the rear posts set so the chassis is elevated.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM

It maybe a bit of work but remove your engine and set the mounting post so that the starter wheel reaches into the flywheel slot properly and remember to press down on the cooling head and not the wing mount.
Is the starter box new? If it's used the wheel maybe worn down...
Before changing my old box, the only way to start my car was get the chassis to flex in order to get the flywheel to come in contact with starter wheel needless to say this is not the best way to get a car started.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Tree1

I had the same issue with my OFNA Chrome Top starter box. I was breaking in and trying to start my Go Tech engine with a Mugen flywheel and the starter box wheel would not reach far enough into the chassis flywheel cutout to engage the flywheel. I used a couple of washers as shims under the starter box motor and wheel. Now I can start my engines with no problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:56 PM
j_blaze

you may need to put the pegs out more, they are elevated right? if thats not the problem you may need to dremel the chassis opening up a bit, maybe 3-4mm on each side so the hole is wider and lets the wheel go in farther. i've seen many people use that box on mugens and had to raise them up a bit even.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Skillhouette

Well... I solved my problem and i feel like a moron... I have read about how tight these GO's are but DAMN By far the tightest motor i have EVER seen... I have about 7 tanks through it right now an I am gonna start leaning on the Next 8th tank when i hit the track... After 3 tanks worth my box turns it over no problem, the pinch is still insane though... I cant even get close to turning it over by hand with no plug after 7 tanks... You really have to get these things hot to start!! Thanks for all the replys..
Old 06-27-2008, 12:31 AM
*FULL-REVS*

glad to hear you got it sorted dude.... i was going to mention about pre heating... but hate the feeling of telling someone something when they probably already know.... if ya know what i mean.... GO the GO'S!!!!!!!!!!