Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

no lipo regulator ?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no lipo regulator ?

I hear some guys not running regulators (for reciever lipo) actually more not running them than running them . regulator or no regulator
Old 11-06-2008, 11:32 PM
K_B

Default RE: no lipo regulator ?

If you're servos and receiver can handle 7.4V, you don't need a regulator.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Druss

ya, ko propo receivers and servos can handle unregulated 2S lipos, others can too but beware that you may burn the servos out faster.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 AM
mabuecker

well Iv went a bit above budget and if they (lhs) would have had my lipos and regulators in I would have had them all . I aint gonna try it without . I have read every google ecxerpt about it . mike true dont know and I thought about asking drake on neo , but I think those high voltage servos are the only servo proven capable w/out issues . ill probably just grab 1 of each (regulator&battery) to be sure i dont break nothing .
Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
McFly505

I've ran Hitec and AE/ACE servos unregulated, no problems.
They are stupid fast, almost to the point of being 'twitchy', but they will handle it.

KO and JR are rumored to be able to handle straight lipo with little or no problem.

Futaba and Airtronics will die a quick death @ 8.4V from what I've seen.

Just my $.02

Scott
Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 PM
mabuecker

i got the packs and regulators and gonna have a pile of wires on top of the bat box (regulators).. o well
Old 11-07-2008, 10:00 PM
mabuecker

o i forgot . i got to solder my balance leads and figure out the polarity (all by chance) going off my pack to go into the balance slot on charger
Old 11-08-2008, 12:05 AM
lowslow

I've been running the DX3R radio, I guess it's the same as JR or visa versa with lithium ions ( they look like big AA's and don't catch fire as easily) and Hitec 5955 servos for about two months. So far no problems other than I have to be carefull to set the servo travel right or the steering servo tweeks the whole front end of my buggy!! Also had to use the expo to slow down the response a little, but the speed and power is amazing, can't blame weak radio system for my crappy driving.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:12 AM
lowslow

I forgot to mention I also ditched the switch and put a 6" servo extension just out side the battery/reciever box and just plug it in each time. I read alot of guy's are going to this because of switch failures and runaway cars.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:27 AM
mabuecker

my computer wasnt letting me get on here last night so I couldnt say that I ditched my bright idea to mount the stuff outside of the box lol .. I did mount it inside the reciever box ( a very tight fit ) . and I raced it flawlessly , or I should say the battery was flawless . I might sell the other lipo pack that I bought for my truggy and get a little smaller lipo pack , so then I'll have the 2000mah and maybe a 1100 or 1200 ... I have to say though through several tanks of practice and several more through my heats and main the pack was ready to go for maybe 2 or 3 more hours lol . it would take 3 or 4 nickel packs to do that , and that saves a lot of money and time in the long run and crap & stuff . lipo is very nice indeed[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: mabuecker

my computer wasnt letting me get on here last night so I couldnt say that I ditched my bright idea to mount the stuff outside of the box lol .. I did mount it inside the reciever box ( a very tight fit ) . and I raced it flawlessly , or I should say the battery was flawless . I might sell the other lipo pack that I bought for my truggy and get a little smaller lipo pack , so then I'll have the 2000mah and maybe a 1100 or 1200 ... I have to say though through several tanks of practice and several more through my heats and main the pack was ready to go for maybe 2 or 3 more hours lol . it would take 3 or 4 nickel packs to do that , and that saves a lot of money and time in the long run and crap & stuff . lipo is very nice indeed[sm=49_49.gif]

careful not to run it down too far tho....start making a log book of your charges and roughly how long you ran for and how many Mah it takes....givew yourself a good idea actually how long the pack would last under race conditions.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
mabuecker

cool will do . whats the battery memory on chargers (if im saying that correctly) does that give any advantages , from battery to battery ? I have to say I was leary of lipos from past experiences . I had a 3s balancing charger before and never balanced any of those packs and they did have balancing plugs . it was a whole new experience balancing a pack , kind of nerve racking after bubbling up 2 different packs .
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
lowslow

Second on what Integra said about not running the voltage down, do yourself a favor and buy a Fromco lipo tester. It puts a load on the pack and warns you if the voltage is to low and it's pretty reasonable cost wise.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM
INTEGRA

Dyamite Sentry....they can be had for about 20-30$....300mah load test for 3 seconds...and they give's your a readout....of corse voltage reading's on a lipo pack can only tell you soo much in the end.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:43 PM
mabuecker

where do I mount that . Iv used other lipos under more load and watched them drain , this is a little different .. i really dont have much to compare servo power to(servos on nickel batterys compared to lipo) I dont feel like a transponder & reciever take much voltage .. I got my log/book ready ..
Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
INTEGRA

where do I mount that . Iv used other lipos under more load and watched them drain , this is a little different .. i really dont have much to compare servo power to(servos on nickel batterys compared to lipo) I dont feel like a transponder & reciever take much voltage .. I got my log/book ready ..
haha you mount it in your pit box.....and use inbetween heats....what radio system do you run ?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
mabuecker

was using my spectrum 2.0 and the ion battery was losing memory and needed a new one pronto so i got a spectrum 3.0 , might get a 3r in a couple months
Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM
mabuecker

i have a nice volt meter and I use it all the time .
Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
INTEGRA

was using my spectrum 2.0 and the ion battery was losing memory and needed a new one pronto so i got a spectrum 3.0 , might get a 3r in a couple months
why are you even worrying about a reg ?

ps here's the Sentry i was talkin about.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4062
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 PM
mabuecker

I talked to spectrum and they said run a regulator . I have another spare regulator that I can take back if you see its not needed ? kind of funny integra , as I google different subjects it almost always brings one of your posts from rcu or rctech involving others with similar questions and you are the answereing authority .
Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM
INTEGRA

I talked to spectrum and they said run a regulator . I have another spare regulator that I can take back if you see its not needed ? kind of funny integra , as I google different subjects it almost always brings one of your posts from rcu or rctech involving others with similar questions and you are the answereing authority .
the old expression Been there Done that comes to mind. [sm=lol.gif].....what servo's again ?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 PM
mabuecker

jr 9100's , thanks 4 helpin
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Losi Racer

i have a regulator that came with my truggy when i bought it from a local racer and it had a lipo in it but it was bubbled up so i threw it out, but now im thinkin of buyin a lipo. It is worth it?? i can go the whole race day w/o changing or charging a battery(2 qualifing and 1 main) so is it worth the 50$?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: Losi Racer

i have a regulator that came with my truggy when i bought it from a local racer and it had a lipo in it but it was bubbled up so i threw it out, but now im thinkin of buyin a lipo. It is worth it?? i can go the whole race day w/o changing or charging a battery(2 qualifing and 1 main) so is it worth the 50$?

1000% worth it....you wont even have to think twice as long as you dont run like 5-10 tanks of practice...you should be good to go ALL day.

mabuecker...can the 9100's run unregulated ? or are they only rated at 6.0 ? if i was in your boat i would try it....worst that happens is the servo gives out and you have to send it in for warranty....for the amount of guys who run lipo's unregulated...i would think we would hear more about Blown up servo's then Not...but who knows.....eventually alll servo's will be rated for direct lipo and Rx's as well....Spectrum got the jump on that gun for sure....KO followed suit and now i can only Hope and Prey Futaba releases a Rx thats rated for direct lipo.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Losi Racer

how can you tell what there rated for? i have a 9100 as well and another one but cant reamember the exact model on the top of my head

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.