Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Carbon Fiber?????????????

Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber?????????????

Seems to me, although I have never had any, BUT... Aren't carbon fiber shock towers on the brittle side. How are they on upside down hits?? Everybody crashes at some point and at the point where you get flipped on that big ole triple, how will they fair on an upside down landing?? I've always had alum. towers but am wondering if CF would be an option. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Frozenshade

Default RE: Carbon Fiber?????????????

Carbon Fiber has quite of a lot of tensile strength, but I believe they are sometimes susceptible to buckling under compression.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
musclecar64

Being an RC8 FT owner, I can say with confidence that Carbon Fiber really does live up to the rigors of off road racing. I am running the original CF shock towers, and I don't believe it is even possible to break them (knock on wood) in a wreck. Even if I got flipped on the big ole tripple. I am still refining my driving technique (), so I spend plenty of time upside down, and they show no signs of being weak or brittle.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
RR Mods

CNC towers win every time
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
j_blaze

they are fine till you break one, then you hate them. the weight loss does not out weigh the gain in peace of mind, although aluminum shock towers break too. if you must go cf i say double up the front at least.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
INTEGRA

it all boils down to the grade of carbon it is...some...actually Most Rc brands you SSG or Composite which is similar to carbon...but at the same time completely different....Real CF is Expensive but at the same time alot stonger in most applications....tower's NOT being one of them imo.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Echelon

It helps to CA glue the sides of the shocktowers in crashes. So it won't chip easily.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:52 PM
phattracker

Thanks for the input guys. I feel like CF isn't gonna be a dependable option for me. I don't crash often, but I do crash. So, from what I gather, the chances of cracking a tower are far greater with CF. And thats no good. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM
flukeone

I was doing the same kind of research since i'm considering buying an mbx6 and i have yet to see an actual owner of a cf tower equipped buggy tell me they broke. Plus with all those top grade buggies (mbx6,808,x2cr,rc8 and i'm sure there's more) have cf towers. I don't think they would build a brittle racing kit. On a personal note a friend of mine has cf towers on his hyper7 basher and it's still holding the bash. I actually believe it's easier to bend aluminium than bending cf to the point were it breaks (at same thickness)

This question is like the "duratrash" phenomena i believe. Most of those who says its no good haven't tried one. Not trying to start a flame war but this is the conclusion of my research

musclecar64 what do you think?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
musclecar64

I'm not gonna go into the "duratrash" debate , but yes I agree with you on the CF shock towers. They have never failed me and I have been running them since I bought my RC8 FT last winter. Still use the original ones, and they are showing no signs of breaking. They are not brittle, and there are no cracks in them. They are made very well, and the only real wear I see on them is that the threaded shock collars (especially on the new big bores) dig into the edges of the towers. Also, the top edges of the front tower are slightly dinged up from flipping. However, there is no major sign of chipping, that I have noticed. I don't see there ever being a need for aluminum shock towers on this car because of durability. I don't think anyone should let CF shock towers prevent them from buying a kit.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:42 AM
phattracker

thats good advice too. I was turned off at the newer kits having CF towers already equiped.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:43 AM
Hoese37

I have the CF towers still on my FT RC8, and after a whole year of racing, they still look great. The outside laminate is a scuffed, but not cracked nor broken. I have had several high speed, upside down landings, and the wing mount , and the diff cases broke and not the tower. I have not heard any issues with the CF towers. Thats probably why the jammins, AE, Xray, Mugen, and some older Ofna's have them. The only tip I have is to remove the tower from the car, and run a bead of CA glue around the edges, as said before.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:24 AM
musclecar64

One extra little tip of advice for those running the RC8: You know how there is a recessed area on the bottom of the shock towers that goes in between the bulkhead halves with two M3 cap screws throught it? Well, if you cut that part out in the front tower, and just bolt it in between the bulkead halves like normal, you can take the front tower out without having to take the whole front end apart! I would try to get pics of what I did, but my car is all ready to go racing tommorow, and I don't feel like tearing it apart right now. I raced with it like this last week, and it still holds up fine. If you need more info, look it up on the AE forums. That's where I got it. [8D]