Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

what to buy??

Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to buy??

im starting to look for a racing buggy for next season to race. i raced the 08 season with an ofna ravager 4.6. i put in a sportworks .21 with a jp-3 exhaust. well any way. i took the engine and exhaust out and sold the chassis with all the electronics and the old motor. so now im looking for a rtr buggy that i can just take the engine out and go. im kinda a novice driver. and i can work on and or put stuff in. im on a budget. i dont really want to spend more than 500. so any help would be great. thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: what to buy??

Hyper 7 black and the engine it comes with is good. Get rid of the JP-3 and either use the pipe that comes on the Hyper 7 or something else.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 PM
musclecar64

What's wrong with the JP-3?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 PM
46u

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=9225
With the money you will have left over get a good steering servo.

JP-3 is a fuel hog. The JP-4 is much better.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 PM
ranger1

i like the ninja(all black) but why is it so cheap?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
46u

Do a search and you will see that the Hyper 7 is the number one recommend buggy for people like you. The Hyper 7 is a proven competitive buggy. It is a older model but still competitive for club racing.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: ranger1

im starting to look for a racing buggy for next season to race. i raced the 08 season with an ofna ravager 4.6. i put in a sportworks .21 with a jp-3 exhaust. well any way. i took the engine and exhaust out and sold the chassis with all the electronics and the old motor. so now im looking for a rtr buggy that i can just take the engine out and go. im kinda a novice driver. and i can work on and or put stuff in. im on a budget. i dont really want to spend more than 500. so any help would be great. thanks
Take a look at the Caster Racing ZX-1R. [link]http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=3[/link]. From what I read that you said I think the Hyper 7 TQ would not be that much of a upgrade from what you already had. Not a bad buggy but no too much of a step up. I think the ZX1-R is alot more of a race capable buggy with newer design and tech put into it. There is a forum here on this buggy and a support from at casterracingusa.com

Guys remember I did not bash the Hyper just do not think it is a big step up from what he had especially if he is going to race. He already has experiece in racing and knows his way around a buggy somewhat so just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM
rc rock

i have to agree with vnmsgt. the zx-1r is a better choise than the hyper if you are looking to race at all
i say buy the zx-ir kit and a pair of servos and have fun
Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 PM
ranger1

ok. thanks guys. anymore suggestions??
Old 12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
jonnymac

I'd go with a hyper 7
Old 12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
mogi

i have a hyper 7,love it cant go wrong.i have ordered a caster k8t truggy though cos they look very good for the money.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
DS

get a gs racing cl-1 advanced plus, one tough buggy good on the track! Awsome revirew too in xtreme rc cars. Awsome chioce for the price or the caster both great
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

It's more than you want to spend, BUT.... Look at my ad in the marketplace, make me an offer. You'd be racing and winning next season for sure.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 PM
ranger1

ORIGINAL: phattracker

It's more than you want to spend, BUT.... Look at my ad in the marketplace, make me an offer. You'd be racing and winning next season for sure.
no thanks. thats like way more than i want to spend. and i dont need all the extra stuff. thanks for the offer
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
46u

Count them up! How many for the Hyper 7 and how many for something else?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
ranger1

im kinda feeling the hyper 7. ive always had good luck with ofna. and if its not ofna i love kyosho
Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: 46u

Gee that is a good way of choosing something to buy. So I guess the best truggy to get is the thunder tiger ST-1 over anything because everyone loves that too. Not saying they are bad just that a person should go with what appeals to them most, not just base his decision on what is popular doing a head count. Honestly the Hyper 7 is a step above what he had but not by much. For someone who has not raced yet, yes the hyper 7 TQis good to get into and if planning on keeping it and upgrade it can be really good. But for someone who has a race season under his belt and wants to get something better he is better of spending a little more money and getting a more race worthy product out of the box. But if he is going to go by a head count then,

-Caster has ALL CNC machined aluminum and 4mm thick shock towers, Hyper 7 TQ... pressed aluminum with thinner towers
-Caster has pivot ball suspension with more adjustability and more durable, Hyper7 TQ... weak cast aluminum knuckles
-Caster has actual adjustable steering turnbuckles that you can use a wrench to adjust, Hyper 7 TQ, thread piece of rod to try and turn
-Caster comes with soft crime fighter tires, Hyper 7 TQ comes with hard compound v-shaped tires, not good for racing.
-Caster has a sealed battery box, Hyper 7 TQ leaves the battery out and exposed.
-Caster has chassis braces actually bolted to chassis, Hyper 7 TQ braces on popped onto balls that pop off easily when worn out.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
ranger1

k. thanks
ill probably look further into the caster.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
46u

k. thanks
Look at what he sells and makes money on. I do not make anything on what I recommend. They all so make a Hyper 7 PBS. [X(] Get a caster make him happy get a Hyper 7 make your self happy. How many places sell caster parts and how many sell Hyper parts. Get what makes you feel best and have fun.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 PM
46u

vnmsgt who makes the engine in the castor RTR buggy?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM
vnmsgt

k. thanks
Look at what he sells and makes money on. I do not make anything on what I recommend. They all so make a Hyper 7 PBS. [X(] Get a caster make him happy get a Hyper 7 make your self happy. How many places sell caster parts and how many sell Hyper parts. Get what makes you feel best and have fun.
Just stating what would make it a better racer which is what he wants. I can direct him another place to buy it instead of my site if it would make you happy. Everyone was saying Hyper 7 TQ so I compared the TQ not the PBS. The PBS is a better buggy than the TQ. Some Hobby Town USA's, Nitro county RC, Hobby Haven, Stinger Hobbies, and now MOD HOBBY all are selling Caster along with others. Will not make me happy if he buys it or not. That ain't the job that pays my bills.

Also the motor in the Caster is a Force .21, yes by OFNA. But does it really matter as he is only looking for a better RACING chassis since he stated he has his own motor and pipe to use?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:39 AM
jonnymac

Here we go again! Same old argument.
I'd love to compare the two vnmsgt any chance of getting one at cost price for a comparison?
Promise i'll be completely unbiased.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 AM
vnmsgt

You guys think I am just wanting to make $$ is why I recommend them? Well for Ranger1 $300 and it's yours. I am sure you will see the differences needed to be more of a race buggy over the Hyper 7.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

Here we go again! Same old argument.
I'd love to compare the two vnmsgt any chance of getting one at cost price for a comparison?
Promise i'll be completely unbiased.
You got a PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 AM
rc rock

46u, i have a lot of respect for you but what you just said is absolutly redicoulus. if we put something like the traxxas t-maxx into the mix i guaranty there will be 100 votes for the t-maxx in just a few hours. does it mean it is better???

gs and caster are very similar good parts compatibility. wouldn't be surprised if evrything is compatible.....

ranger1 go with the caster team kit and buy 2 servosyou'l thank me in the long run

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.