Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

making the switch 20% to 30%

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 PM
1911 Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making the switch 20% to 30%

Well ive decided to switch from blue thunder sport 20% to Odonnell 30% Race. Ill be running it in my v-spec, Im already running all the head shims that came with the engine the .3 and the two .1 mm shims. Will this be enough and what are some things to keep in mind when making this kind of switch? I was planning on richening the hsn a quarter turn then tuning from there. Also what temps do i wanna stay below?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
rccheech

Default RE: making the switch 20% to 30%

Depending what the engine is good for (nitro percentage wise) usually 25%, I dont mess with the shims. The best way to re-tune is to start from factory setting when doing a % change, even after a tear down for inspection. Dont worry about the temps, when the engine is running good, clean and crisp, there will be enough lubrication to prevent damage as long as it's not overly lean or overly rich, I only use a temp gun for break in and a reference point when race tuning, because engine temps are like a fingerprint, no two engines will run at the same temp.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 AM
The_Collector

Default RE: making the switch 20% to 30%

I have used alot of diffferent fuels, ran with whatever I could find. Usually it was only a quarter turn or less from what it was before the switch. The biggest factor seems to be the amount of oil in the fuel. The most dramatic change was going from cheap airplane fuel with alot of castor oil to a quart of race-grade stuff with a little synthetic.