Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Striped my cooling head :O!!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 AM
crowdie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Striped my cooling head :O!!

Hey, today whilst swapping over a glow plug I started to strip the threads. When it became apparent I stopped straight away and took the plug out. There were little bits of metal on the plug. I took the cooling head off to inspect the engine and no bits of metal got inside, I haven’t run it since.... Do I need a whole new head or does the bottom bit with the threads come off?
Could I just drive a new plug through and get rid of any shards?
Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Hoese37

Default RE: Striped my cooling head :O!!

Some do come apart, but you would have seen it if it did. i would just get a new head. With the stripped head you run the risk of causing an air leak and going over lean. Plus it wont take long until the threads are completly gone.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 PM
crowdie

this is a pain Engine heads are pricy Any idea if any other .21 engine heads fit? Because I miht be able to find one on ebay, there are no hyper ones

Edit: If all goes well then I should have one for £3.73 ($5.47)
Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Argess

You need to determine of there is seperate head button, or the cyl head is all one unit. If a seperate head button, just buy one. If a stock head, probably best to buy one. If a specialty after-market head, maybe best to repair.

You can try a heli-coil (available at automotive stores, or engine rebuilders), or one of the similar products (available at hardware stores). However, the cost of one of these kits is about the same as a new cylinder head. UNLESS, you have a friend who has a kit, because the heli-coil part only, is cheap....it's the special tap and insertion tool that add the $$$ up.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 PM
crowdie

Sadly its all one unit, so I have made a bid for a stock one. Thanks for the help I have never heard of the method you mentiond.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Argess

Sorry, seems like I gave you bad advice. Turns out a glowplug thread is 1/4 x 32 and that's an odd size. I can't find a thread repair kit in that size. However, here's a typical kit so you know what I meant:

http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-.../dp/B0002SRF80

Maybe there is something else available, but as you've ordered the correct replacement part, no point looking now I suppose.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
everspeed

If the head is off, screw the glow plug in from the inside of the head and try to straighten the threads up some.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM
BadMammaJammas

drill it out and re-tap it and put a spark plug in it