Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

General questions!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General questions!

Watup guys. I still have my old turmoil buggy that has been sitting in the closet for about 2 years. about 6 months ago, i fired up the engine and actually holds a steady idle. Didn't get to run it normally though, cuz I didn't have a radio on me. I haven't used it since then, but I have put after run oil in the cylinder before letting it sit out. I want to get this car running again since my neighbor has a little POS electric that zips fast around my block. Planning on running it over and mauling it. hahhaha jk. Well I have some general questions, ranging from powertrain questions to electrical. Hopefully you guys can help me.

1. I have an old Hitec FM radio and receiver that is still in good condition. The receiver has a cut antenna though. Would it be possible to unsolder the old wire and solder on a new, longer one with the same wire gauge?

2. Though the engine held a good steady idle, I am not sure if it still has the grunt that will get it moving fast. Inside of the block there are no visible rust, and still has plenty of compression when turned over by hand. Will this engine still be reliable or do I have to get a rebuild kit?

3. My old pipe has been beaten and trashed. The stinger is missing, and the header is completely bent. I am looking for a cheap replacement, maybe OEM but has to be really cheap. When I say cheap, I mean $20 or less, preferrably one that I can purchase on eBay

4. My brake pads are completely worn down. For people that are more familiar with the Sportwerks brake platform, do you guys have suggestions on how to set it up? I remember that the brake pads would rub against the disk when the buggy is running, even if I am not using the brakes at the moment.

These are very vague and simple questions, but any suggestions would help. Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:56 AM
JsK

Default RE: General questions!

1. Yes this is possible, so long as the RX and transmiter still work
you can replace the attenna wire. You will need to get the wire
from a Hobby Shop as regular wire will not work.

2. Clean the entire fuel system and replace the lines, new glow plug,
fresh fuel and a cleaned and relubed airfilter should be good to go.

3.You could try Ebay for a cheap oem unit, there fairly universal.
But then all you have is a cheap pipe. For around 46.00 Amain has
the Thunder Tiger 2035 pipe and manifold kit. Not a bad price for
a pipe that will be alot better than any OEM unit.

4. Yes this is a setup problem. They should not drag when you are
on the throttle or in the neutral position. There are to many different
things that could be wrong so its tough to diagnose without it in front
of me. Go to SportWerks web site and download the manual. Review the
linkage setup section.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
AznBash3r

1. What's so special about an RX wire? Like what differentiates them with a regular wire?

4. I have read from some websites that you could use a spring from a ballpoint pen to keep a slight tension between the pads to separate them from each other while in idle. How effective is that method?

thanks for the help btw!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Dirtdigger04

That happened to me a couple of times where i broke the wire off, and you can use any wire to replace the antenna wire, as long as it is copper (not aluminum). Go to radioshack and find the thinnest wire there. That should be able to fix it. The smallest wire may not fit through the straw, so you can try and find a bigger straw or you can just go to home deopt, and get a wire that is stiff and stays in place when you bend it.

This should be a decent pipe for a good price. $15
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-BLACK-TUNED-EXHAUST-PIPE-ASSEMBLY_W0QQitemZ120414249956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZR adio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c093fa3e4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0| 293%3A1|294%3A50
Just type in ofna pipe on ebay, and you can find a couple of good deals.

I have a Sportwerks Mayhem, and the brake problem is the linkages are not set perfectly, and you might have the 2 screws that holds the pads to the differential to tight. Just play around with the linkages until you get a perfect setting with the carb and the brake.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM
P bomstad

Has anyone else run into this know it all Ja**koff Integra. Is a sponsored driver?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 AM
tommygun32

If it really matters to you that much, why don't you pm him and ask him yourself P bomstad, rather than posting a question like that in a public forum?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 PM
AznBash3r

Alright, so the RX wire should be an easy fix. I will mess around with the brakes once I buy new pads for it. And I am looking around for stock pipes that are off of .21s, .28s, and all those other engine sizes. A pipe that was installed on a .21 or a .28 should work on a .26, right?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 PM
AznBash3r

Just picked up a JP1, any feedbacks of that exhaust?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Dirtdigger04

The JP1 is a good High Torque Exhaust
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I bought a new take off Ofna Ravager pipe and header off of ebay for my Sportwerks Mayhem when i was fixing it up. I paid $14 shipped for an Ofna pipe and header with the coupler, zip ties, and header spring along with the mounting "wire" and mount with a screw. It worked great for me, and i couldnt beat the price.

Here you go, less than $20 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-BLACK-T...3A2%7C294%3A50

Eric
Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 PM
AznBash3r

Yeah I was about to buy a pipe off of a Hyper 7, brand new for about $24 but just had to buy an upgrade exhaust (JP1). Hopefully my header gasket that connects the header to the engine will work, cuz it seems a little loose.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 PM
hrdcoreglf

Get new gaskets for a few dollars. A good seal is very important.