Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Two types of people at a track. My Newbie observation

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Two types of people at a track. My Newbie observation

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two types of people at a track. My Newbie observation

I have been going to my local track for about 3 visits now. I observe two types of people there.
Type 1. I like this type. They are very helpful when I ask a question. They point out good parts on my RTR buggy. They don't tell me more than I ask, and are fun to talk with about RC's and many other off topic subjects.

Type 2. I don't like they guys much. They know everything and tell you all about it. They not only answer the questions I ask, but point out all the other things I have wrong with my buggy. Everything from "you need better tires" to "your temp gauge sucks" to "you need to change your shock oil" to. etc.

Since I am new, I can spot both types within the first minute of talking. Its funny to be in my head when I talk with TYPE 2.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
clifton421

Default RE: Two types of people at a track. My Newbie observation

Lol, you are absolutely correct! Just figure out who is who and stick to hanging out with the Type 1 people. You will also find that the Type 1 people have more fun at the track and are usually more consistent because they don't get all emotional and loco like the Type 2 people, lol. Just make sure that as you become a regular at the track that you do not become the Type 2 person!!!

The Type 2 people are good for entertainment. Have you ever seen someone throw a $300 remote or kick a $1200 buggy..... priceless!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

Man,  I need to find a track =(
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
DrDremel

ORIGINAL: Focus Printing

Have you ever seen someone throw a $300 remote
Yes, and I couldn't stop crying I was laughing so hard....hehe

I once saw a guy throw his transmitter at his car while it was coming down the straight, he hit it too.......man that was cool! I think he would have been better suited as a baseball player after a pitch like that! Needless to say, he needed a new transmitter.......
Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
RCtruckRacer

I guess the 'fast guy' at our track is a "type 2" person. He won't hesitate to go over your rig with a fine tooth comb and point out everything and anything that can be improved.  And if you follow his advice, you'll likely gain 3 or more spots in your main.

Sure, some people can be a bit arrogant about it. But that doesn't mean they are giving bad advice.  If that "type 2" person is also winning races, you're better off following his/her advice rather than just blowing them off. Social ineptitude is not mutually exclusive to having solid racing knowledge.

JMO
Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
DrDremel

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

I guess the 'fast guy' at our track is a "type 2" person. He won't hesitate to go over your rig with a fine tooth comb and point out everything and anything that can be improved. And if you follow his advice, you'll likely gain 3 or more spots in your main.

Sure, some people can be a bit arrogant about it. But that doesn't mean they are giving bad advice. If that "type 2" person is also winning races, you're better off following his/her advice rather than just blowing them off. Social ineptitude is not mutually exclusive to having solid racing knowledge.

JMO
Very, very well said. I completely agree with you.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
The_Collector

More or less, it's two clubs sharing the same track at one time. Oil and water swirling around in the same bottle.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
what_stanger

I guess the 'fast guy' at our track is a "type 2" person. He won't hesitate to go over your rig with a fine tooth comb and point out everything and anything that can be improved. And if you follow his advice, you'll likely gain 3 or more spots in your main.

Sure, some people can be a bit arrogant about it. But that doesn't mean they are giving bad advice. If that "type 2" person is also winning races, you're better off following his/her advice rather than just blowing them off. Social ineptitude is not mutually exclusive to having solid racing knowledge.

JMO
+1
Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 PM
bweiler

There is a world of difference between giving the same advice.

Type 2
"You tire choice is stupid, any idiot knows to run crimefighters here"

Type 1
"Yeah, the panthers are good, but I think you would be faster using crimefighters"

Depends on your tolerance for crap. I strive to be type 1. I have met some people hate type 1 and love type 2, no idea why. I am sure if I was a sponsor and I wanted a racer to promote my products, I would run from type 2.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Life's like that in many things other than RC.  People get a bit of knowledge, and it goes to their head.  Typcially, it's all they have much knowledge about, although there are some who know "everything about everything".  Ever notice that they can drone on for a long time, but when you think about it, they didn't answer your question, just rambled on on something related that they did know. Most likely compensation for an Inferiority Complex. And of course, to make matters worse, some people are just wound too tight......LOL.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Chris_RC

I like type 2 people at times. When my buggy just isn't working correc tly I tell them my setup and they say what else I can do to help whatever problem Im having and ask them to go over my car to point out any build errors or tips.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:17 PM
what_stanger

Yeah, lets not forget the other side to this whole deal.

Some people are just very sensitive, and may view additional advice as insult.

If you ask advice from a top driver at your track and he comes off as an ass to you, then don't ask him again. After all, what the hell does he know? He only qualifies for the A main every single weekend....
Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
P bomstad

I have witnessed a guy throw a new 3pk half way across the track. Needless to say it exploded, shortly there after his wife walked off the track and left his stupid a.. there. Glad to say he is not racing any longer. I enjoying watching type 2 guys who shove their foot in their mouths when they think they are talking to a new guy that turns out to be a very experienced racer. Karma is great. I believe that if you are willing to learn you can take the info that even an arogant a.. is spilling out of his yap and turn it into something usefull. Even if you learn how not ot act or talk to people then you have learned something right! I try to help people whenevre they ask because I need alot of help myself and like to repay whenever I can.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: what_stanger

If you ask advice from a top driver at your track and he comes off as an ass to you, then don't ask him again. After all, what the hell does he know? He only qualifies for the A main every single weekend....
I concur.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
P bomstad

ORIGINAL: what_stanger

It would be a great world if skill and winning didnt frquently replace common courtesy, after all we all started at the bottom at one point and time. I have witnessed a few occasions when no advice was requested, but the "professional" offered his opinion any way,one of whom has never returned to the track, that isnt going to help the sport grow IMO.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as Type 2 people who are arrogant, rude and bad-tempered, there is no "other side of this deal".  There is no excuse for that type of behaviour. But when you get down to it, this whole post has made things black and white....i.e. Type 1 and Type 2.  There are lots of people in-between and a little tolerance can be a good thing too. 
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
hrdcoreglf

The people are that way in their daily life. Type 1 and type 2. I have hada fewdriversyell for not getting to a vehicle as quick as a driver would like when turn marshalling. Then I walk extremely slowly the next time they flip. If you haveto yellor act like a jerk, then activities that involve interaction with other people arent for you.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:28 PM
shankdog626

I think these observations are mainly due to BEINGa newbie and just intimidated by people that really
do know about the things a newbie will need to eventually know. Maybe trying to compete with racers
with race set ups with an rtr has you feeling inept in some way?!? Most people try to help anyone
who asks a question at the track unless they are really busy themselves. I've never seen anyone get dissed
at the track ever myself. I guess I race with all cool people or something.

Relax, take advice when its given because anything more than what you ask will probably be your next
question anyway and have fun racing. Eventually you'll get better at everything and race with them.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 PM
DrDremel

ORIGINAL: hrdcoreglf

I have hada fewdriversyell for not getting to a vehicle as quick as a driver would like when turn marshalling. Then I walk extremely slowly the next time they flip.
I'd be yelling at you too, because at that point you're screwing up my race.....if you have a problem with people who are in the middle of the race wanting a quick turn marshall, stay off the track and let someone quicker go....

Most people at the track are usualy nice, but sometimes som thick skin goes a long way.....
Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM
bweiler

There is a kid at my track who is eight or something, and when he Marshall's you he swings your car back and forth for a few seconds (playing with it) before letting it go. This used to drive me nuts but then I remember: it's never the Marshall, it's my crashing that's the problem.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Inside_Line

JMO
Very true. Learn from those guys, rather than bag on them.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
worstluck

at our track kids under 12 years old are only allowed to marshal 10th scale electrics. hope you dont have that kid grabbing a hot buggy.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: worstluck

at our track kids under 12 years old are only allowed to marshal 10th scale electrics. hope you dont have that kid grabbing a hot buggy.
Theres a kid thats 11 at my local track thats a sponsered driver for Losi and he does a great job marshalling, but I guess it depends on who it is........ But if you're going to come to a race and look for advice you going to have to take some constructive criticisim, if they say you need different tires or an upgrade from the RTR version to make it better, USE IT, sometimes people come off as *****es, but it might be there way of helping, especially if it's coming from a guy that ALWAYS makes it to theA -main,I guess what I'm saying is you'll have to take some things with a grain of salt, grant it, some people I've seen throw a towel over there buggy as soon as you walk up, but most of us are willing to help out on the drop of a dime because we've all started at the bottom at one time.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Cheesewaffle

Yeah or you have the truggy running good old boy that hates the sight of you. Too many of those guys loose sight of whats important and racing becomes more like a chore than a hobby
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: Cheesewaffle

Yeah or you have the truggy running good old boy that hates the sight of you. Too many of those guys loose sight of whats important and racing becomes more like a chore than a hobby
Thats when it's time for them to give the hobby up,I cannot stand people like that. Whats the point if it's not fun anymore???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.