Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Need help on choosing a 1/8 Nitro Buggy

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Need help on choosing a 1/8 Nitro Buggy

Old 06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
King.Cong.1119

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on choosing a 1/8 Nitro Buggy

Hi all,
I am planning to purchase a 1/8 nitro buggy, the budget is under 400USD, and i have few cars in mind right now, they are all from ofna, the ofna 9.5 Kp violator, the ofna hyper7 PBS, and the ofna hyper7 TQ black edition.
I am feeling like i will go for the bigger engine if possible, and guys please help me out with this, i dont know if the violator is nessesarily better than the PBS, and whats good about pivot ball suspension?
Please let me know
and i am open for kyosho as well if any good kyosho is uder 400USD.

I really need all of your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

King.Cong
Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 AM
King.Cong.1119

Default RE: Need help on choosing a 1/8 Nitro Buggy

so i guess it all came down to ofna hyper7 pbs, ofna hyper7 tq black orother ofna buggies that are at the similar price level, since theviolator is not racing legal.
Is there any other good quality buggies at this price level? (<400USD)
Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 AM
canzures

if it was me, I would bet the ofna hyper 7 black. but if you don't have the necessary equipment yet, the violator for $399 comes with rotostart and a 5 cell hump pack. I don't care too much for pull starters.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:56 AM
King.Cong.1119

ORIGINAL: canzures

if it was me, I would bet the ofna hyper 7 black. but if you don't have the necessary equipment yet, the violator for $399 comes with rotostart and a 5 cell hump pack. I don't care too much for pull starters.
Yea, i dont care about the pull starter neither since if the engine is primed right, and tuned right, the pull starter and rotostarter should be all the same (at least i think this way)
and since violator is not racing legal, i am not considering this model any more. and i have the roto starter kit for redcat racing truck, dont know if that will work on this ofna brand.

There are TONS of models for ofna, such as
  1. hyper7 TQ sport,
  2. hyper 7 TQ black edition,
  3. ultra LX one,
  4. ultra MBX competition,
  5. hyper 7 PBS,
  6. picco,
  7. jammin x1.
I guess the problem is What exactly are the differences within these diffrent models?
It is kinda confusing for a Buggy beginner like me.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Chris_RC

The Jammin X1 would be good. I would try to get a losi 8ight or any other older vehicle that is used as they are a dime a dozen and they are goign CHEAP on ebay. So Mugen, Ofna, Kyosho, Losi, etc. is what you want to look for on ebay.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
vnmsgt

Check out the Caster Racing ZX-1 RTR buggy. Has a race legal .21 and if you are going to race it is extremely race capable for someone like you and very durable. Comes with a pullstart but unlike all the other buggies you can use a bump box without removing the pullstart and having to buy a different motor backplate and motor mounts to lower the motor enough to use a bump box which you WILL end up getting if you want to race.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 AM
nubzorz

idk id say pullstart is the way to go no hasstle charging batteries all the time. this is your first race buggy right? i would go with this http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...N34312&click=3 or the ofna ultra LX-1 there a little cheaper but very fast on the track.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Snaut Rocket

I second the caster.
Great little buggy for the price.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
King.Cong.1119

so where can i look for the caster racing ones? since all the brands i found was ofna, kyosho,etc. And how much does this caster cost? isnt it more expensive than the hyper7 black edition?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: nubzorz

idk id say pullstart is the way to go no hasstle charging batteries all the time. this is your first race buggy right? i would go with this http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...N34312&click=3 or the ofna ultra LX-1 there a little cheaper but very fast on the track.
Pullstart is horrible in big block engines. A starter box is the way to go. Just looking at that buggy you linked, it has a 145cc tank, which means you can't race it unless yu get a smaller one. I wouldn't say those ofna buggies are very fast on the track.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM
King.Cong.1119

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: nubzorz

Pullstart is horrible in big block engines. A starter box is the way to go. Just looking at that buggy you linked, it has a 145cc tank, which means you can't race it unless yu get a smaller one. I wouldn't say those ofna buggies are very fast on the track.
How about ofna hyper 8.5? is it race legal? i found a deal for hyper8.5, 365USD with shipping, is it a good deal? <http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-HYPER-8-5-RTR-8IGHT-RC8RS-808_W0QQitemZ290326982356QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Vehicles?hash=item4398d62ed4&_trksid=p3286 .c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A16|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318 |301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50>

and what are considered as not race legal?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
motionmachine

I seriously doubt you'll buy a new and/or competitive RTR race buggy for $400, more like $600 minimum..

Any of those RTR Ofna models will need vital upgrades, specifically the radio systems and at least the steering servo, and technically the supersized engines aren't legal either. Most sanctioned buggy races are limited to .21 CI, although many club races dont routinely enforce it..

I think its money better spent on an inexpensive kit, something to cut your teeth on, and adding your own upgraded engine and radio gear that can be transferred later when your ready to upgrade to a pro kit.

Example:
[link=http://www.ofna.com/mbx_80.php]Ultra MBX R-2 (34302)[/link].................................................. .................@ $190.00
[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=Spektrum&products_id=20706]Spectrum DX2.0 DSM 2CH Radio w/Rx[/link]............................................... $129.99
[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=Losi&products_id=18485]Hitec HS-985MG[/link] (steering)........................................ ....................... $69.95
[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=Losi&products_id=18479]Hitek HS-625MG[/link] (throttle/Brake)............................................ ........... $35.95
[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=OFNA&products_id=12769]Picco .21 3P w/PS[/link] (51210)........................................... ..................... $109.95

Grand total... $535.00 and some change. You'll still need batteries, likely different tires, body paint, glow ignitor, spare glow plugs, fuel, etc etc.

Rechargeable batteries, battery chargers, starter box's, specialty tools, and other support equipment can also add up quickly...

As you see, it dont take long to spend $600.00 OR MORE on a truely race ready 1/8th scale nitro buggy..
The Ultra MBX R-2 Kit is built like a tank and has most of the features found on top shelf kits. Replacement parts are fairly inexpensive and easy to get (nitrohouse.com), cause face it, your gonna crash a few times at least..
That radio system and servo's are perfectly suitable for club racing, no need for all the bells and whistles...
That Picco engine is reliable, easy to tune, and ideal for newbs racing on short tech tracks. Obviously there are faster engines available, but until you've master'd nitro tuning, chassis set up, suspension tuning, etc etc and capable of driving it around the track lap after lap, your wasting your money..
IMO, no sence in buying a $300 race engine to learn the ropes on...

Choose and spend wisely..... You could always try flea-bay, there usually a few name brand rollers there...
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
motionmachine

ORIGINAL: King.Cong.1119

How about ofna hyper 8.5? is it race legal? i found a deal for hyper8.5, 365USD with shipping, is it a good deal? <http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-HYPER-8-5-RTR-8IGHT-RC8RS-808_W0QQitemZ290326982356QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Vehicles?hash=item4398d62ed4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A16|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1 |293%3A1|294%3A50>

and what are considered as not race legal?

I think that ad is a bit misleading, appears to me thats not RTR.. No engine, radio system or servo's, at least none are mentioned in the description..
Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 PM
vnmsgt

so where can i look for the caster racing ones? since all the brands i found was ofna, kyosho,etc. And how much does this caster cost? isnt it more expensive than the hyper7 black edition?
http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...&products_id=3 The caster is usually more but is on special right now for a limited time. The caster has 6061 CNC 4mm thick shock towers where the Hyper 7 Black does not and are cheaper pressed aluminum. Also the Hyper 7 Black only has threaded rod for all the turnbuckles and you cannot adjust your camber without removing one end and turning that since there is no hole or squared edge in the turnbuckle, where the caster has adjustable ones. Also the Hyper 7 black uses wood screws to hold the bulkheads together which tend to rip out easily on very hard crashes (seen it over and over). The Caster has a more durable PBS front suspension compared to the C-hub with cast knuckles that break more easily and should be upgraded to CNC knuckles. The Caster RTR tires are a really soft compound and great for racing where the Hyper 7 black tires are alot harder compound. The Caster is a much more newer design then the Hyper 7 black too. JMO.

Also check out casterracingusa.com for more info and forums there.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Chris_RC

That Caster looks good for $275. But admit it vnmsgt, the more people buy from your site, the more money you make. So your wallet has something to do with your opinion.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM
chrobar

The new CEN racing R2 is a great buggy, too. It's going for under $300 in most places. Check out CEN's website for more info.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
King.Cong.1119

I think i will just stick to OFNA brand, idk, i just had a feeling this brand wont disappoint me. and its been out there for a while. Thanks anyway.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM
King.Cong.1119

That Caster looks good for $275. But admit it vnmsgt, the more people buy from your site, the more money you make. So your wallet has something to do with your opinion.
So i think i have three choices right now after all these discussion.

OFNA
Hyper7 PBS RTR $399
Hyper 8.5x RTR $389
Jammin X-1X CR RTR $334
Hyper7 Black Edition $299

And whats the different between Jammin X-1X CR and Jammin X1 since X1 costs 469 and X-1X CR only costs 334.
Which one you think is better to have?
I think the cheaper the better since i am not going to race anyone, just playing around and hope it lasts long.
maybe sometime playing on the track but not racing
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 AM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: canzures

Yea, i dont care about the pull starter neither since if the engine is primed right, and tuned right, the pull starter and rotostarter should be all the same (at least i think this way)
and since violator is not racing legal, i am not considering this model any more. and i have the roto starter kit for redcat racing truck, dont know if that will work on this ofna brand.

There are TONS of models for ofna, such as
  1. hyper7 TQ sport,
  2. hyper 7 TQ black edition,
  3. ultra LX one,
  4. ultra MBX competition,
  5. hyper 7 PBS,
  6. picco,
  7. jammin x1.
I guess the problem is What exactly are the differences within these diffrent models?
It is kinda confusing for a Buggy beginner like me.
Hyper 7 is the best most race legal buggy on your list, the TQ balck edition is supposed to be pretty sweet... I have a HoBao Hyper7 I found torn apart on ebay for 70.00, and was able to allocate the money I saved on it towards a Hyper .21 turbo race engine, and some n ice hop ups and also a lot of Hyper 7 spare parts.

nothing wrong with used vehicles IMHO, you save, and in my case I have all the carbon fiber hop ups, as well as an illusionz High downforce wing... spare sets of ProLine crimefighter tires, and a new Proline crowdpleazer 2.0 body...

heck looking at used you might even be able to find yourself a losi 8ight now that the 2.0 version is out alot of guys are dumping the 8ight 1.0 as soon as they get the 2.0
Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 AM
ace9213

I have a hyper 7 and love it. very durable buggy. you should get it. great car. i race it too.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 AM
DrDremel

I wouldn't say his wallet has something to do with it. But I will agree that most of the time he's pushing the caster brand pretty hard!

I honestly have some experience with two caster buggies, a brushless caster rtr and a nitro rtr, and both, IMO, felt very cheap and dissapointing......
Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 AM
tommygun32

OFNA
Hyper7 PBS RTR ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $399
Hyper 8.5x RTR¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $389
Jammin X-1X CR RTR¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $334
Hyper7 Black Edition¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $299

And whats the different between Jammin X-1X CR and Jammin X1 since X1 costs 469 and X-1X CR only costs 334.
I think the cheaper the better since i am not going to race anyone, just playing around and hope it lasts long.
maybe sometime playing on the track but not racing
The Jammin X1 RTR is an RTR (Ready to run, comes with engine and electrics), The Jammin X1X CR is a pro kit buggy (no engine or electronics).

Myself, I have the XTM XT2 RTR (1st buggy ever, learned a lot with it), the Kyosho MP7.5 Kanai III, the Hyper 8.5 Pro Kit and my last one (and my current racer) the Jammin X1X Team Pro Kit with upgrades that almost bring it up to X2 version.

Out of all those, I can quite easily hand on heart tell you I prefer the Jammin X1X. It's my racer, it drives fantastic, it has massive big bore shocks that come stock, lots of carbon, it's light, there are tons of upgrades on the market for it....and....I've never broken a thing on it. The guy who sold it to me can't stop complaining about the fact he makes NO money on spares 'cause they don't break. The only things I've ever bought from him are upgrades and consumables.

If you're asking for an opinion about which one to get, and you don't plan on racing but want the ability to upgrade later, I suggest the Jammin X1 RTR. If you have a bit more coin to drop, get the Pro Kit and put whatever mill and tronics you want in there.

Good luck, but most of all, whatever you decide on....HAVE FUN.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 AM
motionmachine

OFNA
Hyper7 PBS RTR ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $399
Hyper 8.5x RTR¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $389
Jammin X-1X CR RTR¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $334
Hyper7 Black Edition¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ $299

I think the cheaper the better since i am not going to race anyone, just playing around and hope it lasts long. maybe sometime playing on the track but not racing
The best one is the one you can best afford. With that said, I will remind you again so you cant never say you weren't forewarned. ALL OFNA RTR's are equiped with a POS AM Radio system (weak signal strength ie significantly reduced range and known for frequent run aways) and a weak steering servo (doesn't even meet Ofna's recommended min specs) so you might as well add $150 min to those sticker prices... Seriously, that junk is only good enough to legally claim RTR.
Ive owned several Ofna RTR's, one of my first upgrades has always been the electronics. In fact, if your interested, I have a new (pulled from a new Ofna RTR) Sport AM (rebadged airtronics) radio system and 2 airtronics servo's I'll sell ya cheap, say $25.00, includes USPS Priority S&H (US) which should give you a good indication how much value I place on 'em, READ NOT MUCH..

IMO, thats partly to blame for Ofna's Ultra models less than stellar reputation and/or misguided public perception. Due to there exceptionally low sticker price, newbs tend to buy 'em up, then tear 'em up, blow 'em up, crash 'em, etc etc, then whine about "quality" of this and that to shift blame away from themselves read its never ever operator error.
The Ultra models are often referred today to as "entry level" 1/8th scale nitro's, however 10+ years ago the Ultra Worlds buggy was considered TOP SHELF. OFNA only started referred to the Ultra's as "entry level" as marketing strategy, after the race bred Hyper 7 was released to increase the H-7 market share among the racers and wanna bee's...
The Ultra line has a long family lineage dating back to the last century with many direct decendants still in production today, ie LX-1. You can still buy replacement parts and various upgrades for the "antique" models and unlike many others that have come and gone, I dont see the Ultra's suddenly being discontinued anytime soon in the near or distant future as long as they remain among Ofna's top sellers.. Its as if every year or so, they "update" the Ultra chassis, primarily suspension upgrades to keep up with modern trends, so "upgrading" prior models is inexpensive and relatively easy as many parts are interchangeable...
The only downside to the Ultra's is they have very little Ofna support and even less aftermarket support, not that they ever needed many improvements.

If your more interested in "eye candy" or building a "shelf queen," I'd suggest you purchase the more popular "name brands" as the aftermarket tends to cater to those folks with deeper pockets who can justify in there own mind that spending $200.00 or more on upgrades for there $650.00++ new Pro Kit is a worth wild investment...
Aside from many T-Maxx owners, who in there right mind would spend $200.00 or much more on chassis upgrades for a $300.00 RTR? Reality is it takes just as much time, effort and capital investment to produce upgraded/aftermarket shock towers, a-arms, hubs, chassis, etc etc etc for a less expensive buggy as it does for the most expensive Pro models, so who is more likely to buy said product(s), get my point?????

In closing. If you have no intentions of going racing, and only intend to bash, Ofna's MBX R-2 kit is right up your alley. Dont dismiss it just because its a bit dated. Truth is, it was slightly ahead of its time and will serve your needs well..

Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 AM
studysession

I have a Hyper 7 PBS and love it. I am not into Nitro as much so converted it to electric.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
King.Cong.1119

I found a deal on ebay, its pretty cheap i think, just not sure if its legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190317178980

and is a cen matrix c1 a good long lasting buggy? since its not a matrix r2.

and hows matrix r2?

damn, so many choices.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.