Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

whats the deal with the sportworks turmoil pro?

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

whats the deal with the sportworks turmoil pro?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the deal with the sportworks turmoil pro?

How come no one wants them?they were the first buggy to come with the spektrum and they seem to be wel built.same diffs as the lst2 and same center diff as muggy.i scored one from ebay for 242 brand new in the box and then i found tns of sick upgrades for cheap,17 dollar aluminum bulkheads,9 dollar team chassis,12 bucks for 5mm team shock towers.31 dollars for tini spur gear and clutch bell.4 dollars for capped wheel nuts,60 bucks for 4 pairs of tini cvs axles(thats 15 bucks a pair for tini axles!)6 bucks for polished lst2 diff cases and i got myself one sick as hell buggy.but everywhere i go people are like "yea that buggy sucks" but no one can tell me why? as far as i can tell it is built well.i would have liked to see some big bore shocks but hey.for 100 bucks who can complain(i sold the radio ad reciever for 140 to a friend).but the best thing i think about this buggy is it has the sh .26 7 port engine.this is not the regular .26 that comes in most of losi's vehicles like the afterhsock or lst.this one is the high quality 7 port race engine.i have seen theese engine go for 170 just for the motor on ebay. and well worth it.SH makes the best motors in the world for a decent price in my opinion.my $89 .28 rips my lst2 like its nothing.so unless you want to shell out 400 for a full handbuilt rb or rossi the sh is the way to go.SH makes alot of good engines that end up rebranded and sold here in the states.some common sh engines are,losi mach engines,dynamite platnum angines,xtm engines,lrp engines,and many more.

So why dont people like this buggy.i have not broken it in yet and if there is something that always breaks or a major problem i want to sell it while it is still new,i can turn a nice profit on it.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
K_B

Default RE: whats the deal with the sportworks turmoil pro?

It's discontinued. That could be a major fact as to why people wouldn't want one. Plus, all that aluminum makes it heavy. A race buggy needs to be light and maneuverable. Alloy diff cases add rotational mass, hurting acceleration.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:21 PM
dominicevans

ORIGINAL: K_B

It's discontinued. That could be a major fact as to why people wouldn't want one. Plus, all that aluminum makes it heavy. A race buggy needs to be light and maneuverable. Alloy diff cases add rotational mass, hurting acceleration.
+1
yea they are old! parts are discontinued etc
Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 PM
jonnymobil

but all the parts are avalable on line for super cheap,and the diff housings dont even rotate.i seriously doubt that the fact that the sportworks weighs maybe 1/2 lb more than the losi 8ight will hurt a beginners performance to badly on the track.maybe if i was a top pro but then id be sponsored,and plus the .26 engine will pump out more power than any buggy can put to the ground so it wont be slow by any means,i know because i had this engine in an old lst of mine and it hit wheelies and was super fast and powerfull,i had one of the fastest lst's arround with the sportworks 7 port .26.theese motors still go for top dollar online new or used!

well in that case what does everyone think about the ofna picco buggy,it can be had for under 300 brand new and granted the radio gear is junk but all radio gear in rtr's except for losi is junk.even if you buy an rtr jammin crt the radio gear will be junk,but the ofna picco for under 300 comes with the pbs suspension and a genuine .21 picco engine and chrome tuned pipe,seems like a killer deal to me.

also does the aluminum bulkeads really make it that much heavier?i mean that cant weigh more than an ounce more than the stock plastic parts,your adding maybe 2 ounces max.with all the power todays engines are making some weight may be good? at this point in time i would rather have a more durrable buggy then a stripped down light weight one that cant take any dammage.i am a beginner so i will probably crash and land wrong a few times,i think at this point i need to concentrate on my driving skill rather than spending 600 on a buggy thats 1/2 pound lighter.

also all the aluminum makes the buggy look major sick.i am a huge fan of aluminum bulkheads,on a race vehicle you dont want to go all aluminum because when you do crash it will bend the whole thig into bits but i do like to have a nice solid core to mount everything too.

also the fact that everything is so cheap online,i mean i bought 5 team chassis(the milled out lightened ones) for only 9 each,thats a steal.

so does anyone else have an opinion on my buggy? good?no good?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Dirtdigger04

I have a Sportwerks Mayhem and Turmoil, and they are some awesome buggys. It can easily compete with anything on the track if you race them, and as strong as hell if you bash with them especially with its strong .26 engine, and its hard anodized aluminum parts. Too bad sportwerks no longer make anything. They were a very good company.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM
dominicevans

ORIGINAL: jonnymobil

but all the parts are avalable on line for super cheap,and the diff housings dont even rotate.i seriously doubt that the fact that the sportworks weighs maybe 1/2 lb more than the losi 8ight will hurt a beginners performance to badly on the track.maybe if i was a top pro but then id be sponsored,and plus the .26 engine will pump out more power than any buggy can put to the ground so it wont be slow by any means,i know because i had this engine in an old lst of mine and it hit wheelies and was super fast and powerfull,i had one of the fastest lst's arround with the sportworks 7 port .26.theese motors still go for top dollar online new or used!

well in that case what does everyone think about the ofna picco buggy,it can be had for under 300 brand new and granted the radio gear is junk but all radio gear in rtr's except for losi is junk.even if you buy an rtr jammin crt the radio gear will be junk,but the ofna picco for under 300 comes with the pbs suspension and a genuine .21 picco engine and chrome tuned pipe,seems like a killer deal to me.

also does the aluminum bulkeads really make it that much heavier?i mean that cant weigh more than an ounce more than the stock plastic parts,your adding maybe 2 ounces max.with all the power todays engines are making some weight may be good? at this point in time i would rather have a more durrable buggy then a stripped down light weight one that cant take any dammage.i am a beginner so i will probably crash and land wrong a few times,i think at this point i need to concentrate on my driving skill rather than spending 600 on a buggy thats 1/2 pound lighter.

also all the aluminum makes the buggy look major sick.i am a huge fan of aluminum bulkheads,on a race vehicle you dont want to go all aluminum because when you do crash it will bend the whole thig into bits but i do like to have a nice solid core to mount everything too.

also the fact that everything is so cheap online,i mean i bought 5 team chassis(the milled out lightened ones) for only 9 each,thats a steal.

so does anyone else have an opinion on my buggy? good?no good?
no one said it was a bad buggy or anything like that its just that parts are hard to find and the situation is gonna become worst within a year or so. simple really