Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Losi 8 2.0 Race Roller vs. Losi 8 2.0 RTR

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Losi 8 2.0 Race Roller vs. Losi 8 2.0 RTR

Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
HawkChalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi 8 2.0 Race Roller vs. Losi 8 2.0 RTR

My question is why is the race roller only 50 bucks cheaper than the rtr?

For the race roller you'd need an engine, pipe, radio, starter box, glow driver, servos, batteries for the tx/rx, starter box and glow driver. If you bought the equipment that comes with the rtr you'd spend an additional $870+ for the listed prices on the equipment. That's $870 for a radio, engine and pipe, starter box, servos and batteries. that's a $1500 buggy.

Are there that many upgraded parts on the race roller vs. the rtr to warrant such a price hike?

See the problem is that I was thinking of buying a race roller and making it an electric vehicle. that turns the additional $870 into more like an additional $1000. that'd be a $1650 buggy. Maybe I should drop a grand and get the rtr and sell the parts I don't need and drop one of theses one of these in it.. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2200kV

Any comments or suggestions?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM
romax

Default RE: Losi 8 2.0 Race Roller vs. Losi 8 2.0 RTR

Or you could buy the 8ight E 2.0 ARTR for $900.00. Add radio , servo & battery & you're ready to go. Haven't even checked to see if it's available yet, just saw it in the Sep. issue of rc driver.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Snaut Rocket

Your forgetting the reason for the roller.
Most people have their own radio, like their own servos, probably have their own starter box and definitely have their own preference on engine.
No sense in buying all that stuff if you have it.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 PM
HawkChalk

Okay, so you have your own radio, engine, starter box, etc... Why not just buy the RTR and sell all the other stuff you dont need (engine, pipe, starter box, radio and servos) and get atleast 300-400 for it all.. Then you can take the $$$ and throw it into hop-ups and have a better buggy than the race roller? or am i wrong? Is the roller that much better than the RTR???

Anybody have any experience with that mamba system/will it work in an 8? Any recommendations for an electric system?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 AM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

the roller comes with the TFT (tuned flex technology) chassis and machined shock towers versus stamped aluminum on the RTR same offering as the truggy versions. With the roller you really don't need to hop anything up so to speak. whereas the RTR you will eventually end up hopping stuff up if you get crazy serious about racing it...
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

i wouldnt ever consider buying an rtr. although when i started i bought an rtr 8t. i upgraded that 90% into a race roller, sold it then bought a race roller...the rtr is great just like you said to save $900 although like rocket said people have preference to electronics and engine. the weakest spot on the rtr 8t 2 is servos. you can buy a $100 servo put it on the steering, move the stock steering servo onto throttle and your good for a couple gallons which is a very good deal to start racing for under a grand
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 AM
HawkChalk

Considering you buy the rtr and sell the radio, engine and pipe, starter box and servos for $400, which i think is a reasonable price, is there 400+ dollars worth of hop-ups on the race roller, even at MAP. The TFT chassis sells for $100 at amainhobbies, both machined F/R shock towers sell for $30 each, add $100 for a servo, you still have $140 to put elsewhere.

Also, I have 2+ gallons on my 8ight 1.0 RTR, haven't broke anything yet, servos are fine, even the 270. My front shock tower is kinda bent towards the rear, i assume from lawn darting it a couple times at the track, but other than that its still in pretty good shape. I just cant see the justification in spending the extra money on the race roller vs. the RTR, atleast not by looking at the specs or anything you guys have said.

Anyways i want a electric buggy to go along with the nitro one. thats it, i'm not seriously into racing, nearest place to race competitively is kansas city about 60 miles, so at the track near me its just newbies like me and old farts. so hows that mamba system? is there a conversion kit that marry that to the eight?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

your talking titanium pins$30,shaftes$44,shock caps$30,better clutch$25(should upgrade to dynamite maxlifes anyhow)and you go tune flex$100 and towers$60, and the few things i cant remember. i see what your saying but shopping smart a race roller is $500. if your bashing try a truggy. i have never bashed but the handling is great. it was said above get the 2.0 artr race roller lectric. pretty nice outfit. i think for $1300 you will be set. pretty good deal too. the rtr sounds like a great deal and it really is, even to enjoy while you build with upgrades(always fun).......
Old 07-16-2009, 05:12 PM
HawkChalk

Wow, those hop-ups must make it a completely different, unbeatable vehicle..

Anyway, will the Losi e-conversion hardware work with the mamba monster combo?? If not compatible, whats comparable to that system that would work or one that's a "better bang your your buck"? That mamba system looks pretty good for the price. I see others more expensive like a Losi xceleron combo, but some say its not as high quality as the price would suggest.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

should be compatible, all the motor sizes are pretty much standard, if you are doing a conversion from nitro to BL then you have the added benefit of customizing your layout a bit more. otherwise the 1/8 BL motor cans are allthe same size and should allow you to use whatever you want...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Dan H

I am running the Mamba setup on my 8ight E-conversion. It fits but remember that the Castle/Neu motor uses 3mm screws. The conversion is designed for 4mm scres. It will still work, but some people tap the motor to use 4mm screws for extra security. The lower motor plastic support needs to be shaven a bit too for the larger can. The plastic piece was designed for the Xeleron motors.

I did my conversion on a 1.0 RTR, but only because I got a stinking good deal on one. I recommend the race roller. I already bent both the stock stamped aluminum shocktowers and replaced it with the machined aluminum units. Also wore down the stock chassis and had to replace it. Still runing the stock plastic shock caps. They are holding pretty good for now.