Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Picking a good nitro 1/8th scale buggie

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Picking a good nitro 1/8th scale buggie

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Mighty Mouse_132

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking a good nitro 1/8th scale buggie

I am buying new since i am new to this hobby i was wondering what would be the best buy for a raceing nitro buggie perferably 4.6cc I have been looking at two diffrent ones the Professional 1/8th Nitro Scale Exceed RC MadFire RC Buggy w/ .28 Engine or the Exceed RC 1/8th Scale MadFire .21 Nitro Power 4WD RC Buggy which is the better buy if you have other brands or makes please let me know im serious about putting money into this hobby even though i live in the back woods im prepared to travel to go to races so i want the best car for the buck for 300 dollars and under i want excelent performance while haveing a very strong car that can put up with a beating. I would greatly apricate any responses to my post.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 PM
pickle311
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Picking a good nitro 1/8th scale buggie

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8969457/tm.htm

I looked at the exceed buggies and I don't think I'd buy one. My gut feeling told me that they were probably junk. It's all chinese made so I'm sure all the plastic is brittle, motor probably won't last long, soft screws that will strip out. Just all of the typical problems that you see with chinese manufacturing.
If you are serious about racing, I'd suggest looking for a used Losi 8ight, Associated RC8, Xray 808, Mugen MBX, or something along those lines. If you insist on buying new, look at the Cen Matrix R2, Ofna Hyper 7 TQ, and the Ofna Picco. All of these can be found for $300 or less and are RTR. Personally, I think I'd go for the Cen out of those 3. It appears to come with much better electronics out of the box.
Any of the buggies I listed will be much easier to get parts for and all of them have a proven track record. If you're wanting to do some serious racing though, I'd suggest going the used route. You can generally pick up a used buggy with several upgrades and extra parts within your price range. Also hit your local tracks and see what everyone is running.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
hobdean
My Feedback: (11)

If just starting out dont most tracks require a .21 motor in a buggy for novice/sportsman class? Some of the RTR buggys have a larger motor and would not be suitable for racing. Is this correct?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
sarmeneau

you can run the rtr with what it came with for a motor. as for buying, buy a used buggy from that list. i picked up a used losi 8ight last year for 350 and sold it for 300 this year after i got my new 2.0 there are lots of used out ther in great shape because allot of guys have to have the latest and greatest. usually if some one is selling there old buggy rtr or other its usually half what they paid originally. don't get burned though do your home work.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
breezerboat

If you are going to buy new, I suggest one of these two. They are in your price range. I wouldn't get an Exceed for sure. Here are what I think are two of best in your price range. both are bullet proof. I have the Picco and love it. tough, and I do alright at my track.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVGM6&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRUS1&P=ML
Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 PM
hobdean
My Feedback: (11)

So rtr buggys with larger than .21 are ok. I guess they are not the fastest thing on the block but, would work for a beginner like me. I do have a slash I drive every day.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM
breezerboat

.21's are very fast.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 PM
chrobar

Whatever you do don't buy an Exceed RC buggy. I work at a hobby shop and it's the biggest pain to have to deal with those cars. You can't get parts for them, and their engines are junk. Invest the extra bit to get a better car. In this case, you really get what you pay for, usually.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 AM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I say this to alot of new guys based on my experience with this buggy, get a OFNA Hyper 7!!! you can get a Hyper 7 TQ for 300.00, and have a VERY solid buggy to learn with, that has a ton of available parts support, and with minor modification, can race with the best of em... very solid platform!!! it comes with the Hyper .21 3port turbo, which is a race legal engine, and a very well made engine too...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 PM
rchobbytime

Check out the redcat backdraft, it is a great 1/8th buggy, I really like mine and pretty inexpensive, I bought mine at:

http://shop.rtfrcairplanes.com/produ...&categoryId=18
Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
breezerboat

Only get a Redcat if you want to do a lot fixing of broken parts. My first Nitro was a Redcat and it broke all the time. I learned a lot about how to fix RC cars with it, but I dare not drive it b/c it is sure to break.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: hobdean

If just starting out dont most tracks require a .21 motor in a buggy for novice/sportsman class? Some of the RTR buggys have a larger motor and would not be suitable for racing. Is this correct?
Some tracks for club racing let your run bigger engines but not all. You need to check with the track you will be racing at. Now for sanction racing all you can run in 1/8 buggies is a 21.