Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Redcat Nitro Rc

Old 09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
monsterpede360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Nitro Rc

Dont bash me please on this. I was checking out the Redcat racing 1/10th scale buggies. I was wondering if they are worth the money or dont waste my $140
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Redcat Nitro Rc

ORIGINAL: monsterpede360

Dont bash me please on this. I was checking out the Redcat racing 1/10th scale buggies. I was wondering if they are worth the money or dont waste my $140
Dont waste $140.......
Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 PM
breezerboat

^^^ second that
Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
jeztur2003
My Feedback: (1)

please they are every bit worth $140 dollars what is your claim for saying not to buy redcat they are durable fast and what other buggy are you going to get for that price check out my site for list of features.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Snaut Rocket

If its cheaper than anything traxxas sells, then dont buy it.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been around redcat products quite a bit....although I dont own one of the mentioned buggies I know people that do....I wont say they arent worth $140...if a person is new to the hobby and is wanting a cheap rc to learn the hobby they might be ok...but these buggies wont handle much offroad abuse and take some work to be somewhat reliable....with that said I would never suggest someone to start out with one....cause they will be so excited to get it that they wont make sure the sper gear mesh is set right and wont put small slivers of fuel line in the drive cups to keep the dogbones in....meaning they will do nothing but chasing dogbones and replacing spur gears and say to hell with the hobby....

its a 1/10th buggy and a pretty old design at that.....in my personal opinion they are much better off saving up another $160 or so and buy a 1/8th buggy...the 1/8th buggy well be leaps and bounds more reliable and will save them tons in the long run.....alot of people that frequent this forum will say my 1/8th buggy (himoto rxb-1) isnt atleast a decent buggy but I've stayed on the track while people running the BIG NAME BRAND buggies were off the track broke....not saying mine doesnt break (they all break) but it doesnt break anymore then the others that I race against...

so yeah....save up your money and buy a 1/8th buggy....there are many lower priced 1/8th buggies...the 7 black edition gets raves on here, the caster rtr has a good following and is very reasonably priced...and yes I would suggest the himoto rxb-1...it has proven to be a very durable and reliable buggy for me
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 PM
dittch
Banned

My brother-in-law bought a used redcat 1/10 4wd buggy (tornado I think) on ebay last year. I got it running and tuned right for him. He enjoys running it on pavement and grass.

In my opinion, if you're going to keep it on the ground or hit mild jumps (no more than ~8 inches of ground), it should be a decent vehicle for the price. If you like to hit bigger jumps, buy something else because the parts on the vehicle I mentioned (tornado buggy) are the thinnest I've seen in an RTR. The stock motor held a tune pretty well and had decent power for an RTR. The buggy has a 2spd tranny so that helped in the top speed deptartment.

He has broken a few things, and that can be a big inconvenience with this brand of vehicle. First off, you will be lucky (VERY lucky) if your local hobby shop stocks parts. Secondly, the parts (in my opinion) are a little overpriced. He had to replace the 2nd speed gear and not only was the little plastic gear expensive, shipping was damn near as much as the gear. For the price they wanted for shipping that little plastic part I would expect it to be overnighted.

If you're looking for a starter RTR, I would suggest traxxas, HPI, or associated. They are much better quality, and most hobby shops will carry parts for them.

Redcat nitro vehicles are bottom of the barrel in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 AM
RCToysNh

You have to ask yourself several questions before buying,
1.) Your budget - remember to include fuel if you are buying nitro. (8-10 qt) Also Electrics are able to obtain speeds at or beyond what nitro can offer.
2.) What skill level are you ? - Would you rather crash a 300.00-400.00 Traxxas, AE or other brand or a 140.00 buggy. Remember 1/10 scale at 35 mph is like crashing your real car at 100mph.
3.) Are going to become a racer, basher or are you just testing the waters to see if the hobby is for you
4.) Where will you be driving ? Terrain ?

No matter what you buy you are going to break parts.
We can sell you what ever brand you want as we carry most. Just depends on what you want from the hobby.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:49 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I would stay away from the HSP 10th scale buggies. Squirrel of Death, a respected internet guru, actually put up his own money to buy one. Everyone always says you cannt judge until you bought one and tested it, and that is exactly what he did. He bought one of these 10th scales and actually broke it in and tested it. The buggy he had had so many problems that NO buggy should have.
Then people will say "Things always break" but here is the lie in this statement: the one SoD tested is prone to break more often. People always say this but always purposefully neglect to say if it will break less to hide the truth.

Now, if you want cheap, SoD tested a Himoto 10th scale buggy side by side to this HSP buggy, and even though it was $50 more, it was leaps and bounds better and well worth the additional $50 and the price of the 10th scale buggy is still less than $200.

Bottom line: Never sacrifice durability for price. And for a dirt cheap RC, the Himoto one is the one to go with. $140 means in the long run you will spend more becauw you will have to buy replacement parts more often, the better RC, you fix less often, And this is driving in the same conditions (same jumps, same bumps and hits, etc.). The $190 Himoto buggy will strip less gears, break less parts, and might in some cases hang with a $250 RC. But according to the test SoD did, the $140 RC did not hang with the $190 Himoto.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: jeztur2003

please they are every bit worth $140 dollars what is your claim for saying not to buy redcat they are durable fast and what other buggy are you going to get for that price check out my site for list of features.
Say you buy a Traxxas or Losi. You run into a wall at 40mph and break. You go to the LHS and they have the part in stock so you buy it. Fix it and you are ready to go next day. Say you buy a Redcat, you run into a curb at 20mph and break tons of parts, you go into your LHS and they laugh at you because you bought a sub-standard car. Yea, Recat is helping the RC Industry out alot! So now the newbie throws his Redcat into the closest and never thinks about it again. OR he could wait 2 weeks for the parts to arrive, then break it again, wait another 2 weeks when if he would of got a Losi or Traxxas the LHS would of had his parts. Dont say all cars have the same durability. A 1/10 Recat jumping 50feet far, 20 feet high would shatter while a good 1/8 buggy wouldnt even be phased, no matter the landing. Come to think of it, the only time I have broke a part not related to maintence was when I was going WOT on this jump that doesnt elevate you high, but you go FAR, and I hit the water hose going about 35mph in the air with the rear wing, and the rear wing mount snapped. Other than that, not really any broken parts from racing buggy and truggy. If a Redcat would of done that, the whole rear end would of ripped out!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:27 PM
breezerboat

My first RC was a Redcat. I learned a lot from fixing it all the time. I now have a 1/8 Ofna Picco (cost me $289), and I race it at my local track. The thing never breaks. It's tough as nails. And It's actually the cheapest buggy I see at my track. I say fork out $300 on a name brand 1/8 buggy.
BTW, my experience with my redcat was actually good for me. I learned a lot about fixing these RC's because of it breaking a lot. My Redcat works fine now, but I dare not ever drive it b/c I dont' want to have to fix it. It has sat in my garage for months now without starting it.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Say you buy a Traxxas or Losi. You run into a wall at 40mph and break. You go to the LHS and they have the part in stock so you buy it. Fix it and you are ready to go next day. Say you buy a Redcat, you run into a curb at 20mph and break tons of parts, you go into your LHS and they laugh at you because you bought such a POS car. Yea, Recat is helping the RC Industry out alot! So now the newbie throws his Redcat into the closest and never thinks about it again. OR he could wait 2 weeks for the parts to arrive, then break it again, wait another 2 weeks when if he would of got a Losi or Traxxas the LHS would of had his parts. Dont say all cars have the same durability. A 1/10 Recat jumping 50feet far, 20 feet high would shatter while a good 1/8 buggy wouldnt even be phased, no matter the landing. Come to think of it, the only time I have broke a part not related to maintence was when I was going WOT on this jump that doesnt elevate you high, but you go FAR, and I hit the water hose going about 35mph in the air with the rear wing, and the rear wing mount snapped. Other than that, not really any broken parts from racing buggy and truggy. If a Redcat would of done that, the whole rear end would of ripped out!
I wish that was the case.
My lhs is so crappy they dont even stock losi or ae.
All they buy is redcat and himoto. And hardly carry parts for them. Thats why i won AE and buy on line.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
monsterpede360

Well I have a Emaxx, Tmaxx, and a Supercharged Nitro sport. So I'm just wanting to buy a redcat just for the hell of it. I'm not a newbie haha
Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 PM
dittch
Banned

a Supercharged Nitro sport
put a cool sticker on the supercharger, it will make 2 times more horsepower, 2 times 0 = 0
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Well I have a Emaxx, Tmaxx, and a Supercharged Nitro sport. So I'm just wanting to buy a redcat just for the hell of it. I'm not a newbie haha
Why did you even ask? If you are doing it to only expriment, just get it.

Just the mere asking about an internet-only sold RC vs a store sold RC can be a powder keg.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:34 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah what was the point of asking using users time if your getting one anyways?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:31 PM
monsterpede360

well i just wanted your opinions on it. thats all []
Old 09-19-2009, 07:48 PM
bkfamily1

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Say you buy a Traxxas or Losi. You run into a wall at 40mph and break. You go to the LHS and they have the part in stock so you buy it. Fix it and you are ready to go next day. Say you buy a Redcat, you run into a curb at 20mph and break tons of parts, you go into your LHS and they laugh at you because you bought such a POS car. Yea, Recat is helping the RC Industry out alot! So now the newbie throws his Redcat into the closest and never thinks about it again. OR he could wait 2 weeks for the parts to arrive, then break it again, wait another 2 weeks when if he would of got a Losi or Traxxas the LHS would of had his parts. Dont say all cars have the same durability. A 1/10 Recat jumping 50feet far, 20 feet high would shatter while a good 1/8 buggy wouldnt even be phased, no matter the landing. Come to think of it, the only time I have broke a part not related to maintence was when I was going WOT on this jump that doesnt elevate you high, but you go FAR, and I hit the water hose going about 35mph in the air with the rear wing, and the rear wing mount snapped. Other than that, not really any broken parts from racing buggy and truggy. If a Redcat would of done that, the whole rear end would of ripped out!
The last 2 times I needed parts for my Jato, the LHS (who sells Traxxas and stocks parts for them) did not have the parts I needed. So your statement that you break a Traxxas, go to the LHS, and bam you're always right back in business is not accurate.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 PM
bkfamily1

monsterpede360 - AllAboutFunHobbies is in Euless, and I believe he has Redcat parts. So you should be able to get parts at your LHS.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:58 PM
dittch
Banned

It's all good. Whether or not you were planning on getting one is irrelevent. There is nothing wrong with asking what people think about a vehicle.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 PM
breezerboat

At least you will get to practice fixing RC's. Have fun.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like bk mentioned...just because a lhs sells that brand of rc, it doesnt mean they will actually have the part you need in stock....yeah they will be happy to order it for you..but you can MOST LIKELY order it yourself online and get it just as fast and prolly for less money....dont get me wrong...I am not a fan of these old out of date 1/10th models...but the buy what your lhs sells arguement holds no water with me...my lhs gets plenty of my money be it from fuel,and misc parts (things that will fit about anything) and I do believe in supporting the lhs...but you cant always bank on em
Old 09-19-2009, 10:34 PM
jetlag_180

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ewZk_KLs5w
 this is the video that savagejim was speaking of. I was close to buying exceed (same as redcat) and saw that. Bought the mxb-2s from himoto, replaced servos and the himoto has been a blast.

Ran it hard last weekend and burnt the tires off. handled extremely well, all gears are metal, besides the spur. Cartwheeled it 4 times and it did not break.

redcat has a very similar buggy, without the cage, and has .21 motor and is 1/8th scale. while the himoto is 1/10 scale and has .18 and smaller tires.

ALSO himotoracingusa is the owner of the company, and has VERY good customer service
Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I dont mean to sound harsh, but this is a volatile subject.
In this thread alone, there are at least 3 people from one side and several more from the other side. And asking this question could spark off a flame war on both sides.

Now, fortunately, everyone has kept it civil, but it only takes one hot-head from one side or the other and the powder keg can explode.

If you want to experiment and test out this RC yourself, that's cool, but milking this opinion really is not too good of a thing to do.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:38 AM
jetlag_180

I thought it was weird that hes "not a newb" but has a supercharged nitro 2 stroke.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.