Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Best upgrades for my Duratrax Raze buggy

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Best upgrades for my Duratrax Raze buggy

Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 PM
PeeBeMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best upgrades for my Duratrax Raze buggy

B4 I start let me say I KNOW I KNOW the duratrax Raze isn't the best out there ! But help me out a little bit, whats the best upgrades that I could add on to my buggy ? I don't need any info from people that's going to be a hater towards the duratrax Buggy.
nothing good to say don't say any thing at all. thanks !
Old 11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
cobra26

Default RE: Best upgrades for my Duratrax Raze buggy

Let me say right off - I have two Raze Buggies and a Raze ST, and love 'em all! I have not found much needed in the way of upgrades, but have added the sway bars to my buggies (the ST came with them!). They do help keep the buggy planted in the turns and are definitely better than NOT having them. I have put silicone oil in the diffs of one buggy (5,000R, 10,000C, 2,000F). Obviously not the right combination as I have greater understeering now, soI may bump the fronts to 3,000 or 4,000 - I'm going to have to experiment. The other buggy and my ST are still running with grease in the differentials. I may also start experimenting with different weights in the shocks, but for now they are all stock.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; I own an OFNA Hyper 7, Hyper 7 Black, Caster K8-T, and RC10-GT, and my Raze buggies have little trouble keeping up with any of them - and will fly past the GT. They are VERY durable and consistent running, and a ball to run!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 AM
PeeBeMe

Like wise my Rc friend, I have the buggy & truggy 2 ! Do you have any pic's of your Duratrax Rc's ?
thanks 4 the help. By the way people hate on stuff that they hear others talk about but they them self have never tried B4 .
People think spending and have'n the most top of the line stuff is all that when it's not sometimes.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM
cobra26

I've not posted pics here before, but I'll give it a try. If they show up, the red buggy was my first Raze and has the diff oils. The green one I picked up because of my total satisfaction with the red one, and the ST was my last acquisition about two years ago (maybe a little less).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23489.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1309984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47153.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1309985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17910.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1309986  
Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
davido666

My raze was one of the first ones. I put on the aluminum servo tray and posts. I put in a better metal gear steering servo. I replaced the stock radio with a spektrum radio and receiver. The sway bar kit is a nice upgrade for the car. I have run alot of fuel thru the buggy and have not problems with it. With winter coming I will tear the car down and clean it and check it over for worn parts. I love this buggy it just keeps on going for me.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
cobra26

davido666,

Thank you for reminding me, I DID put stronger MG servos in all 3 for steering - it's been so long ago that I plum forgot! The upgraded steering servos are a "must" in almost any RTR nitro vehicle. One of my reasons for liking my Raze buggies and ST so much is their dependability, consistency, and all-around ruggedness. The only parts I ever had to replace were totally my fault when my red buggy hit an immovable cement planter dead on while doing about 35mph. Luckily, it was within the first year, and all the plastic was replaced free under the stress-tech warranty. Other than that (which was totally my fault), I've not had to replace a thing - except tires, of course.

In fact, I'm taking the green buggy and the ST out for some "exercise" in about 15 minutes! :-)
Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
drzoo2

I bought a nearly new Raze this summer and have had a lot of fun with it. I hit the mail box and bent my turn buckle and hinge pin. Both were easily fixed with a vice and some time. I picked up two ST diffs and some odd and end parts off ebay after stripping my diff. My fault jumping it and not letting off the gas. The ST diff is helical cut so it should last longer than the straight cut Raze gears. So far that and the throttle servo are the only issues I've had. Nice first buggy. Oh and the body isn't hlding up. I'm planning on a Hyper 8 body upgrade for Christmas.

z
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Tom76

ORIGINAL: cobra26

Let me say right off - I have two Raze Buggies and a Raze ST, and love 'em all! I have not found much needed in the way of upgrades, but have added the sway bars to my buggies (the ST came with them!). They do help keep the buggy planted in the turns and are definitely better than NOT having them. I have put silicone oil in the diffs of one buggy (5,000R, 10,000C, 2,000F). Obviously not the right combination as I have greater understeering now, soI may bump the fronts to 3,000 or 4,000 - I'm going to have to experiment. The other buggy and my ST are still running with grease in the differentials. I may also start experimenting with different weights in the shocks, but for now they are all stock.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; I own an OFNA Hyper 7, Hyper 7 Black, Caster K8-T, and RC10-GT, and my Raze buggies have little trouble keeping up with any of them - and will fly past the GT. They are VERY durable and consistent running, and a ball to run!
Cobra, you should try swapping your rear diff with the front, that is why you have a lot of understeer. Your rear diff oil is too thick.
Good luck!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM
rcktpwrd

I added the sway bar kit to mine, the turnbuckle kit and changed the diff grease out for silicone fluid. The buggy is a ton of fun!
check out this thread for lots of pages of info : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5149307/tm.htm
Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 PM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: Tom76

Cobra, you should try swapping your rear diff with the front, that is why you have a lot of understeer. Your rear diff oil is too thick.
Good luck!

My bad, I mislabeled them in my post! They ARE: 5,000F, 10,000C, 2,000R, but I still have the understeer and need to tweak the weights. My center should probably be in the 7,000 range, rear in 1,000, and front in 3,000 - 4,000.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 PM
kojak61

Try 5-7-3 for the buggy. Read this, http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=24 or http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=4461
Old 11-27-2009, 10:14 PM
bronx boy

one of the best and cheapest upgrade is a pipe off of ebay just type in paris pipe and look for the stilletto for the 1/8 th cars you will not believe how this will wake up your raze i also have the raze st love them both im no kid im 53 i have 25 r/c cars and trucks all kinds im telling you this will light the raze up big time
Old 11-28-2009, 12:13 AM
hustler777

look into a new 1 piece pipe, better servo's/rx batt., and fiddle fart with the diff/shock fluids and ride hight.....done right there should be no reason the raze wouldn't help ya get on the race podium, they're tanks!!!!