Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Wanting to start in nitro buggies, looking for tips

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Wanting to start in nitro buggies, looking for tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Tibarus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to start in nitro buggies, looking for tips

Hello everyone, I've been watching videos on youtube and reading the RC magazines and the 2WD and 4WD buggies have caught my interest/

What I'm wondering is what the best beginners gas buggy, Most bang for the buck, easiest maintained and all the other questions that inevitably come up when starting something new.

Thanks for any and all help,

Tibarus.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Wanting to start in nitro buggies, looking for tips

I really like the looks of the ofna hyper 7 black. There are lots of good buggies out there. Just read up on them some, and go from there. I had a Sportwerks buggy that was pretty nice. I just picked up an XTM buggy that i havent recieved yet, but they are supposed to be extremely tough with a little worse handling, and a little heavier than other buggies. Just look around and see whats in your price range, and go from there.

Eric
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 PM
rclynx

ORIGINAL: Tibarus

Hello everyone, I've been watching videos on youtube and reading the RC magazines and the 2WD and 4WD buggies have caught my interest/

What I'm wondering is what the best beginners gas buggy, Most bang for the buck, easiest maintained and all the other questions that inevitably come up when starting something new.

Tibarus.
If you have never had a Nitro before go to your local Hobby shop and buy a Buggy that they keep all the parts in stock for it and they know how to work on it ..................... end of story .............. in the beginning they are all the same because you don't know the game so don't listen to all the BS about this is good and this is bad .................... what you need to begin with is support be careful and do some checking on your local Hobby shop because some Hobby shop owners are like some people in here ............ all show and no go [:@]
Old 11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
breezerboat

Just don't let yourself get too frustrated. There is a learning curve to nitro RC. Stick with it and it all comes to you.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
vpower

ORIGINAL: rclynx

ORIGINAL: Tibarus

Tibarus.
If you have never had a Nitro before go to your local Hobby shop and buy a Buggy that they keep all the parts in stock for it and they know how to work on it ..................... end of story .............. in the beginning they are all the same because you don't know the game so don't listen to all the BS about this is good and this is bad .................... what you need to begin with is support be careful and do some checking on your local Hobby shop because some Hobby shop owners are like some people in here ............ all show and no go [:@]
you know what dont listen to this guy if you know how to use the internet. id say a good 1/8scale redcat would be a huge bang for your buck(the pro ones tho) ive bought a red cat myself and its awsome only problem is no one sells peices for it in the hobby shops.but i can still get the pieces for it in the same website of the car(www.redcatracing.com). sure it takes some time to get here but at least you have every piece available to you.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Tibarus

Thanks so far everyone.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 AM
lez1troubles

Good advice from Rclynx. Go to your local hobby shop and see which buggies he carries spare parts for. If you can aford it get a good make buggy, i.e((((((KYOSHO))))))MP7.5 Inferno.
Dont get to frustrated with the hobby when things start going a bit skew-wiff, there is a lot to learn in this sport, I've been at it for 30 odd years and still learn something new every now and then. Just have fun and try to meet people who are also into RC. You'll find it's abit like a big family and every body tries to help out here and there.
By the way, it's a dirty hobby so I hope you dont mind a bit of grease,oil ,fuel and mud. It's also noisy and smelly.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:29 PM
vpower

y are you all ignoring me? no matter how many pieces of a car a hobby shop has its never going to be all the pieces. again you will have all the pieces available to you trough the internet.[sm=punching.gif]
Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid Traxxas regardless of thier immense parts availability. I like OFNA and thier buggies, i have a Ravager that im in the midst of getting a engine for, but part availability is limited. i would stick with 1/8scale nitro.

the thing with hobby shops is the only parts that they have are for cars that are super pricey or for cheap crap that 13year old noobies buy. if your shop has plenty of OFNA parts, you really cannot beat thier buggies for features, quality and adjustability for the price.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Tibarus

how does redcat fair?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM
firebird78

I've owned redcat...the redcat I owned was a hurricane xp....its a pretty good buggy once you get the kinks worked out of it.....now they have the hurricane xrt...I have never owned one though...one thing I will say about redcat is look to dealers and not redcat themselves for parts...usually redcat dealers will get you parts faster and less expensive then redcat...the one I dealt with was allboutfunhobbies...Wade will treat you right.....I've heard Mike at rufaster is also a good guy but never ordered from him....redcat also has a pretty good support forum here on rcu...

currently I own and race a himoto rxb-1....I like this buggy alot, it has served me well especially for the $$$ I have in it....himoto has an excellent support forum here on rcu...currently the best place I know of to order himoto is himotoracingusa....Eddie is very knowledgeable and is never far away...also other guys there to help you out...

another buggy I like the looks of and want to try is a caster...a guy I know and trust is a dealer and races em as well...he tells me they are very good buggies..I have no reason to doubt him...

whatever you buy just have fun with it....nitro is a bit of a learning curve...you may get frustrated at first...just stick in there it will come to you...once you get a good idea what your doing you will have tons of fun..if you like to tinker on things this is an excellent hobby
Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
The_Shark

spend a few more bones and get something better and with more parts availability.
redcat used to be very inexpensive so it was worth it, now the price is in par with other well known brands. if your lookin for super budget, cen will do. you get what you pay for, and pay for what you get
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Tibarus

So I have a max of 350$ (Canadian) do I go with a RTR buggy priced closer to my limit or an RTR closer to say 300$ and get upgrades?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...et-Buggy-MP-75

This one looks like a sweet deal.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 AM
CrockPot7
My Feedback: (-2)

Dont listen to Vpower hes an idiot! You will be making lots of trips to your local hobby shop and no one wants to wait weeks to replace a part. He only thinks that way cuz he wasted his money on a redcat. DONT but a redcat!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 AM
lez1troubles

Yo Tibarus, the Kyosho Inferno is a briliant buggy to start and to race. As Crackpot already stated,"dont listen to Vpower". The shop where I go has EVERY piece of the Kyosho line-up that there is, really, EVERY piece. Get the kyosho and I can garanty you will not be dissapointed.[8D]
REDCAT, what a *****.hihi
Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 AM
lez1troubles

(((((KYOSHO))))))MP7.5. It's a world champion. Anything else need to be said??? If you go to the forum"Kyosho Inferno US sport" you'll find lots of us drive them and get ALL the help you'll ever need. Have FUN.[8D]
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM
mgtwpicco27

That Kyosho looks pretty good for the price, and they make a good buggy too. Ofna also makes a descent buggy. Try looking at the Ultra lX1 its about 20 dollars cheaper so they are in the same ballpark.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Yo Tibarus, the Kyosho Inferno is a briliant buggy to start and to race. As Crackpot already stated,''dont listen to Vpower''. The shop where I go has EVERY piece of the Kyosho line-up that there is, really, EVERY piece. Get the kyosho and I can garanty you will not be dissapointed.[8D]

so your saying cause your shop in belguim has EVERY kyosho part that people should buy kyosho?....I suppose you want them to buy their parts from the shop were you go...lol...sure kyosho makes nice rc's...but just cause your shop carries all the parts doesnt mean all shops do....matter of fact your not ever guarenteed a shop is going to have the part you need when you need it

as far as crackpot calling another person he doesnt even know an idiot speaks alot about him...

I'm not a redcat fanboy...however I owned redcat and going through their dealer network I would get my parts in 3 days, not weeks....not saying they are top of the line...but anybody that is looking to spend 350 canadian dollars prolly realizes they arent going to get top of the line
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 PM
ttr125fan09
My Feedback: (1)

why dont you just start out with something cheap to see if you like it, and if you do get something better?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 AM
vpower

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Yo Tibarus, the Kyosho Inferno is a briliant buggy to start and to race. As Crackpot already stated,''dont listen to Vpower''. The shop where I go has EVERY piece of the Kyosho line-up that there is, really, EVERY piece. Get the kyosho and I can garanty you will not be dissapointed.[8D]
i wonder why they havent deleted that coment? whats wrong with wiating a week for parts? if your local hobby shop runs out of the part you need you will also have to wait a week for them to get some.

(i may have done bad for saying redcat but redcat is bettering their products they have gotten lots better trust me. but maybe thats not enough for you? so i will state 3 more brands cen,ofna,kyosho) choose wisely!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 AM
vpower

ORIGINAL: CrockPot7

Dont listen to Vpower hes an idiot! You will be making lots of trips to your local hobby shop and no one wants to wait weeks to replace a part. He only thinks that way cuz he wasted his money on a redcat. DONT but a redcat!
redcat was not a waste of my money before that i had a tamiya not sure wich but the point is that every day something broke either it was the clutch the flywheel or the rear diff
of course i wasn't going to put up with thatt a whole year more! so i trough it away(gave it to a real expert of rc for free and forever) then i baught a redcat tornado bb the 2 speed one that does 60+ never gives me any problem eccept i cant put in a bigger motor because it stats falling apart but..... its still working fine with the engine it had even after 6 gallons of nitro. so dont listen to crock face over there[:@]
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 AM
firebird78

week for parts?....were you buying them?...if you buy from Wade (allaboutfunhobbies) you will most likely get them in 3 days (I did)....also try mike at rufaster.

not to pick an arguement with ya but I betcha if ya put a radar gun on that tornado you will find it goes MAYBE 50...I'm leaning more towards 45 tops...blasted ebay sellers putting up false claims...they had ads up saying the hurricane xp would go 85 and I can guarentee you they wont
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: vpower

redcat was not a waste of my money before that i had a tamiya not sure wich but the point is that every day something broke either it was the clutch the flywheel or the rear diff
LOL, How could you not know what Tamiya car you had? Either you are a complete idiot and do not know how to look up the car online, or you are lying.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Tibarus

I didn't know this question would start such a debate.

But yeah, I'm not looking for the Top of the line, just something that will take a heap of abuse and come back for more.

That Kyosho looks like the one I'm probably going to get, gonna post up once I get it to my door and get it running.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM
firebird78

I like my rxb alot...but for sure I think you would be happy with a kyosho....I checked that buggy out awhile back and it looks like a good buggy....

just get ya one and enjoy it...1/8th buggy is the S*%$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.