Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new clutch setup! Recomendations?

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Looking for a new clutch setup! Recomendations?

Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
TurboBimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new clutch setup! Recomendations?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure what brand/model for complete clutch system go, of corse, new flyhweel , etc. I have a Kysoho Mp6 for now, but looking ot update my old car with a MP9 soon.

What are the main difference between carbon and ergal shoes? Wich is more reliable and las longer? Pros/Cons?

What is best, 3 puck, 4 puck or even 5 puck style (shoes) ? Pros/Cons of each?

Anyone ever tried the Fioroni 3, 4 or even the Penta clutch? The 3 shoes model is adjutable, but not sure if with all thi fancy adjustable thing rather than changing the springs, coudl fail faster or is less reliable?

Is for a .21 engine

Thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 06:41 AM
lez1troubles

Default RE: Looking for a new clutch setup! Recomendations?

there's a good question. Core-blimy,clutches really depend on the surface of the track. I've been at this hobby since I was 8years old and driving nitro since I was 19, I still would'nt know how to answer that question, I've got to tell you though that I've been using Aluminium shoes (2-3&4 shoe set-up) and still havent even tried carbon. Mmm, maybe I should try??? I'm like to take the time and try to get the right set-up on my clutch springs though.
You are right about the Fioni clutches though, GOOD STUFF.
Flywheels are also good to play with as they do alot to the rpm range on your engine, influences the acceleration so you can adjust between tyre shreding or a jentle but firm acceleration.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
K_B

I wouldn't bother with the 5-shoe if it were me. Looks like plain overkill. Plus, you'll have that many more shoes to maintain.

The big difference between carbon (composite/plastic) and ergal (alloy/aluminum) is how it engages. Carbon slips and has a smoother engagement, alloy/ergal shoes will grab a little harder. Lots of guys use a combination of the two. On a standard 3-shoe, a guy will run one carbon shoe with a light spring and two aluminum shoes with heavier springs. The lighter spring will let the lighter carbon shoe engage first, getting the clutchbell spinning before the alloy shoes engage, which makes for a smoother engagement all around. There are almost endless possibilities when it comes to clutch tuning. They even offer heavier steel flywheels that help tame the low-end on the engine.

For most drivers (even the pros) a standard 3-shoe is more than sufficient.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

that sounds wierd running one carbon and two aluminum, you would think that it would cause some engagement problems in the long run. I want all my shoes tuned reletively the same do you know of any pro drivers that run that setup?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
K_B

Drake does (or used to) run two carbons and two alloys on his 8ight buggy (Losi clutch uses a 4-shoe setup). I ran a carbon/alloy combo on my Losi buggy for smoother engagement and traction control. I ran an all-alloy setup on my truggy for a harder engagement.

If you flip through the X-ray setup book, they even mention running the shoes backwards with the trailing edge now becoming the leading edge.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

wow that is pretty strange i guess it makes sense to a certain degree, those fioroni clutches look wicked cool I bet they arent cheap though.