Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

looking to buy a starter box, but which one???

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

looking to buy a starter box, but which one???

Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 AM
GRADEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy a starter box, but which one???

Have got a Hobao hyper 8.5 running a ofna mach 28 engine.

has got the pull start and that works fine. but going to start racing very soon and ive been told getting a starter box,
and adding a back plate to the engine will give me alot more torque.

so it sounds like the way i want to go. will be racing in open class.

but what starter box to use??

ive heard the Venom twin engine starters a quite good. ive heard the Ofna ones arent very good (single engine), but are the ofna (double engine) any good?

what do you guys use? what would you get with your experience?

thanks.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:06 AM
tommygun32

Default RE: looking to buy a starter box, but which one???

I use this starter box:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Starter-Box

with these batteries:

http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_7_2V_6..._p/vnr1548.htm

This is also a nice starter box:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Panel-Battery
Old 12-08-2009, 05:16 AM
lez1troubles

MANTOU make a very nice starter box. check it out.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 AM
motionmachine

Which is best depends on what perameters you base your opinion on, ease of use, reliability, durability, dependability, cost, weight, size, construction, max torque/RPM output, specific/multiple application(s), etc etc.
FWIW, my old Ofna Chrome Top Starter Box w/ power panel (10253) and accessories (glow plug ignitor, jumper cables) may not be the lightest, or the smallest, or the cheapest out there, but its proven to be most durable, dependable, and it has never failed to start an engine, no matter how tight (new) or stuburn (out of tune) it may be..
However, it never fails when I am out with my buddies w/ lesser box's, that someone eventually burns up one or both of the tiny dual motors, and/or strips a belt and/or gear, and/or it fails to turn over there new engine(s) (with any consistantly), and/or the batterie(s) die all to soon,,,,, so they most often resort to using my ol' box. A single charge will last me several days, weeks even,, if I could only keep my buddies away from my box..
Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 AM
theRCreverend

ORIGINAL: GRADEE

has got the pull start and that works fine. but going to start racing very soon and ive been told getting a starter box,
The OFNA chrome top is the best bang for the money. Plenty of torque and that motor is hard if not impossible to burn out:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUC2&P=7

I wired mine so I can run an extension cord from it to my car battery. Hooks to the car battery with large alligator clamps. This way I don't have to worry about batteries in it. I would recommend buying a battery for when you go to the racetrack since you most likely won't be able to drive your car up to the pits.

There is an increase due to the less rotating mass without a pullstart, but I doubt you'll see a significant increase in performance.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
supertib

+100 !!!!!

very good starter boxxes/battery combo...it is what I uses as well..
Old 12-08-2009, 12:32 PM
supertib

so it sounds like the way i want to go. will be racing in open class.

but what starter box to use??

ive heard the Venom twin engine starters a quite good. ive heard the Ofna ones arent very good (single engine), but are the ofna (double engine) any good?

what do you guys use? what would you get with your experience?

thanks.

Your making a great move !!!! Not only do engines run better with a sealed backplate, but this move will open the doors to you running a much wider selection of engines in the future.... The best running, easiest tuning best performing engines are only available as bumpstart..... You will see a performance difference most likely, the OWB shaft area can be a huge loss of vacuum in these engines.. The more and more you spin the starter the more it wears and the more it leaks.....Ever notice how soaked in fuel some pullstarts get ? if fuel can leak out it means the engine is losing vacuum as well ... Vacuum loss will result in loss of power, poor idle and inconsistent tuning... The more vacuum an engine can maintain the better it runs and performs.......

I run the OFNA duel motor boxes on 4S Lipo and they are fantastic.....I did however notice that the duel motor boxes didn't do so well on regualr 12V motorcycle battery, my dual 55 did OK< but the dual 775 really lost a pile of power..I think the needed draw to the dual 775 box goes beyond what a 12V motorcycle can deliver..And in fact on 12V I think my dual 550 has more power then the dual 775... However as soon as you switch the dual 775 onto a 4S Lipo is has massive torque and speed, I guess the Lipo has the needed draw to support the big motors........ So if your going to run a 12V motorcycle battery then I suggest the dual 550 box..However if you intend to go 4S lipo now or in the near future then I suggest the dual 775 Truggy box...
Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
topcat-lll

Get the Ofna chrome top w/12v gel cell it's what 70% of racers use. It's like a sledgehammer strong, simple and reliable;
Thats why most racers own one.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this what you guys are reffering toi when you say gel cell?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL370&P=7

I recently got a starterbox from a guy and he said it needed a gel cell batery but I didn't really know for sure what that was.
Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM
topcat-lll

Yes
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: topcat-lll

Get the Ofna chrome top w/12v gel cell it's what 70% of racers use. It's like a sledgehammer strong, simple and reliable;
Thats why most racers own one.
70% are you kidding? There is the ever popular Losi box, then the dual 775 Ofna box, and the Mugen box, I hardly see any Chrome Tops at races.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
rclynx

X2 on the Ofna 10244
Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 PM
The_Shark

i have only had two boxes, i had or still have in some sense, a single, HUGE motor box. and a dynamite dual 550 box. the single motor box could pop that engine over super fast, like if its already idling, but on start-up it was weak, the dual 550 box was slower, but it had good start-up pep.
if i was you, i would go with a simple common box like the ofna chrome top and get a always reliable gell cell or if its not enough power you can invest in cheapo lipos.

i think this is a good place to pop in, i am getting a box from a losi 8ight 2.0 kit. and will be running a jammin JPX .21. will this box do the job? i cant find too much info on it.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 AM
topcat-lll

When I'm racing I have enough the worry about; chassis set-up, engine tune, tires, pit man, radio, the competition,fuel and track condition. A starter box failure is something I don't
need. So I try to keep it simple a single large motor with a wheel. The Chrome Top.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:04 AM
lez1troubles

I think you guy's should really check out the MANTOU starter box.
I just bought a box for my Tamiya also, its a CARSON. Not bad but not the quallity of the mantou.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

The solid blue ofna truggy box is the only box that i would ever suggest ever getting. Iv used way too many other boxes and had them fail. Also to save hassle get a 4s lipo. This will make rcn so much easier.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: mabuecker

The solid blue ofna truggy box is the only box that i would ever suggest ever getting. Iv used way too many other boxes and had them fail. Also to save hassle get a 4s lipo. This will make rcn so much easier.

as much as i like my Losi box for my Losi's......the Ofna Truggy is where its at......there's NO point in spending 10-20$ less for an Inferior box.....buy smart and buy once.

PS Tib when did you start to run Low end Venom Nimh packs in your box. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

as much as i like my Losi box for my Losi's......the Ofna Truggy is where its at......there's NO point in spending 10-20$ less for an Inferior box.....buy smart and buy once.

PS Tib when did you start to run Low end Venom Nimh packs in your box. [sm=lol.gif]

Do I have Nimh in my box ?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

Do I have Nimh in my box ?

uhhh No. [sm=lol.gif]