Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Xtm Xt2 .247 engine is stuck!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
dantheman237

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtm Xt2 .247 engine is stuck!!

Hey guys! I just got an Xtm xt2 and broke it in and the pull starter was slipping. In the manual it says to take off the pullstarter assembly. So i took off the engine and then took off the pull starter. It says to clean the shaft and the one way bearing of the excess oil. So i did and i put it all back together but I tried to pull the pull starter and it didn't budge and then i tried the flywheel and I can just BARELY move it. I was moving it and the piston was going up and down but it wouldn't get any less stuck. I put a bunch of after run oil in it and moved it up and down but it didn't do anything! Please help!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
hicch2

Default RE: Xtm Xt2 .247 engine is stuck!!

Sounds like the clearance between the piston and sleeve is still tight. Try heating the engine up with a hair dryer or heat gun before using the pull starter.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:44 AM
rclynx

Sounds like you have the backing plate on wrong. check the assembly order [link=http://www.xtm-dealer.com/247pts.html]HERE[/link] and make darn sure the notches in the OWB are lined up right. If you screwed it up there could be damage from tightening it down when its not lined up. Lining up the notches is the most common mistake [:@]
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

you probably just have a locked up piston, this happens when an engine is new. Dont put a bunch of afterrun oil in it this will probably make it worse seeing as its most likely hyrdo locked. Take the engine outta the car and try and move the flywheel by hand if you cant you will probably have to take your head off to relieve the pressure.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
dantheman237

I figured it out it was because the notches weren't right. but now the pull starter keeps slipping like every time i shut it off and then try to start again and i've cleaned the ow bearing like 2 times and i don't think i m running it THAT rich, but aren't you supposed to run it rich in the winter?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:35 PM
dantheman237

oh and my friend broke the front left a arm when he jumped it and missed the jump a little bit. oh it was the worsed sound i've EVER heard. just a big CRACK! Just thought you might want to know........
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
buttdud1122

that might have been me.... haha dan, but cortious rc users will pay for that broken part! and that was a pretty sweet sound, not gonna lie! and just to let everyone know, the notches were off! he put it on the small notches
Old 12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
rclynx

If you hang the RC by its back wheels when its hot it will not cause as many problems with the OWB slipping. I use a bump start or the sure start and very little problem. If I have to clean it up I use carb cleaner and let the oil from the fuel lube it after ward.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
dantheman237

Yep,he BROKE my car! he kind of fixed the engine too.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 PM
dantheman237

oh ok! thanks! did you have a pull starter before?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
rclynx

Yes and I still have some of the SH engines with pull start but sometimes there a pain [:-] lots for heat to the pull start will stop it also [&:]

Heat gun
Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

My one way bearing also slips some, but oddly enough after you get it started the first time of the day, it seems to grab good the rest of the time you run. So I usually have to play with the roto start at first and then once it runs, its fine the rest of the time. I guess it kind of cleans the bearing out, but i need to take it off and clean it with some alcohol to see where that gets me.

Eric
Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
dantheman237

ok cool!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:38 PM
dantheman237

Ok so yesterday I cleaned the pull starter assembly again and it didn't slip, but i came back later and it slipped again and i didn't drive it! is there someway to clean out the whole engine??
Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM
cummins driver

Mine does pretty much the same thing. I cleaned the OWB with alcohol, and it was fine when i started it after that. Then as soon as i tried to start it the next time it was slipping again. I am running traxxas fuel right now, but i have a gallon of something different, and im almost out of the traxxas stuff so ill see if that makes any difference. You could always try a new starter shaft, but i dont know if that will fix your problem or not. Once my engine is warm after running it some, it starts fine, which almost makes me think that the shaft swells slightly so the OWB grabs better. Either that, or the oil is still thin because its hot, and then once it cools off it thickens up and makes it slip. Oh well, mine hasnt failed to start, but sometimes its slow going.

Eric
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
rclynx

Part of the problem could be if your running a fuel with real high oil content like Traxxas fuel ............... Use a good brand of Byrons 20% or the XTM fuel and the problem almost never comes out. I personally use 25% Werks or Byrons and almost never have any problem but if I use the lower 20% with 13 or 14% oil it jumps up and bites ya. Just going to have to play with it or get a bump box, that only fails when the battery goes dead [:@]
Old 12-22-2009, 05:14 PM
dantheman237

yeah i have been using traxxas fuel! i'll try some other fuels!!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM
dantheman237

Ok so i cleaned it again last night and i pulled it again today and it slips!!! this is really starting to piss me off now cuz i've had to clean it 3 times now without driving it yet. what is wrong??!!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM
cummins driver

Are you cleaning the one way bearing? What are you cleaning it with? If cleaning it wont fix it, then it could be that you just need a new one way bearing. Also, clean the shaft the one way bearing rides on.

How old is the engine?

Eric
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM
rclynx

These are the parts you should be cleaning and if it still slips then replace them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57595.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1340953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37517.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1340954  
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
dantheman237

yep i clean those both and dip it in rubbing alchohol and then dry it off and then put it back together
Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used WD-40 to get the OWb clean...I just take the air filter off, put piston near TDC then squirt WD-40 down the carb...give the pullstart a few pulls...then turn the engine upside down and let the WD-40 flush back out the carb...let the truck sit for about 10 minutes to let the WD evaporate and your back in action.... No need to take the engine out of the truck.... When your done running for the day repeat the process and your ready for action the next time out..... With a OWB and shaft you have to be careful not to keep spinning then if they are slipping, as that is actually wearing out your shaft and bearing fit..the more you let it slip the more its going to slip........ If you keep your engine flushed dry and clean with WD then you will not have this issue...If you use ARO then I recomend flushing before trying to fire..myself I just keep the engine dry inside after using WD... .... Now some guys may say WD is not good to use as it may eat the o-rings...However I have not had any issues and the metal particles from a chewed up OWB shaft are far more damaging to the engine then WD is...... If you use WD and not allow fuel to sit in the engine you can use any fuel you wish whatever oil % you want.... Another thing is don't fire the engine immediately after flushing with WD, give it time to evaporate 10 minutes) fresh WD will burn the glowplug coil if you attempt to fire it too soon ....
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM
rclynx

Problem might have been caused with the side ways torque from when the pin was aligned wrong. For being solid metal they can be pretty touchy. With the XTM engines or SH (same thing) I have used OWB in other motors after the motor has worn out and then I have had them go bad in a few gallons of fuel ........ same as OS or Picco ......... some make it and some don't. Also all it takes is a tiny bit of dust or grit and any OWB will give up. Good Luck and HAPPY RC'en

HECK ITS MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: supertib

I have used WD-40 to get the OWb clean...I just take the air filter off, put piston near TDC then squirt WD-40 down the carb...give the pullstart a few pulls...then turn the engine upside down and let the WD-40 flush back out the carb...let the truck sit for about 10 minutes to let the WD evaporate and your back in action.... No need to take the engine out of the truck.... When your done running for the day repeat the process and your ready for action the next time out..... With a OWB and shaft you have to be careful not to keep spinning then if they are slipping, as that is actually wearing out your shaft and bearing fit..the more you let it slip the more its going to slip........ If you keep your engine flushed dry and clean with WD then you will not have this issue...If you use ARO then I recomend flushing before trying to fire..myself I just keep the engine dry inside after using WD... .... Now some guys may say WD is not good to use as it may eat the o-rings...However I have not had any issues and the metal particles from a chewed up OWB shaft are far more damaging to the engine then WD is...... If you use WD and not allow fuel to sit in the engine you can use any fuel you wish whatever oil % you want.... Another thing is don't fire the engine immediately after flushing with WD, give it time to evaporate 10 minutes) fresh WD will burn the glowplug coil if you attempt to fire it too soon ....

Thats a good idea. I think ill have to give that a shot. [8D] My OWB works perfect if its clean, but it slips after it has sat and I guess the oil that is left out of the fuel in the OWB causes it, but WD40 right after the run may fix that problem.

Eric
Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 AM
dantheman237

ok i did the wd40 thing and it didn't slip this morning! how much wd40 is supposed to drip out when you turn it upside down? i only got like a drop the size of a dime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.