Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Hyper 7 Speed test

Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper 7 Speed test

I just came in from doing some speed tests with my Hyper 7 and Jammin CRT x1.
I have to say I am a bit dissapointed with how the Hyper 7 performed. I use my GPS to test the speed. I tested the acceleration and top speed in a wide open parking lot near my house. with the stock hyper .21 engine and the 13/46 gearing the hyper would only do around 37-39 MPH wide open. I wasn't happy with the lack of power I had with the stock engine so I dropped in a Losi Mach 427 and am using a 19T clutch bell. the highest speed I was able to get out of it was 49MPH. I really thought it would get more into the 50's.
for the acceleration test I placed markers on the ground at 30 FT 50 FT 75 FT and 100 FT. here are the results:

30FT 12.9 MPH
50FT 27.7 MPH
75FT 35.5 MPH
100FT 40.4 MPH
Top speed 49 MPH

I was doing a head to head test against my CRT X1 with an OS .21 VZB Vspec. tomarrow I will switch the engines and put the Mach in the CRT and the Vspec in the Hyper 7.

Here are the results from the CRT for anyone interested. It is running 16/62 gearing I think.

30 FT 14.3 MPH
50 FT 29.8 MPH
75 FT 33 MPH
100FT 36.3 MPH
Top Speed 42.5 MPH
Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
yakfish

Default RE: Hyper 7 Speed test

Delete
Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 PM
big_poppa49

who cares about speed on a OFF-ROAD buggy anyway? If you want something for speed to drive on a parking lot, I suggest you get a nitro car, like a HPI Nitro RS4 or something. The buggy you have is meant for racing/off-road bashing. Were in racing speed is not a factor. Racing is like 90% driver, 10% car. Its all in the skill, not the actual speed of the buggy
Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 PM
supertib

cool testing dude.... 49 MPH is pretty dam good actually !
Old 03-21-2010, 06:11 PM
xjqkz

how did you mount your gps w/o damaging the screen inside the buggy? can you take a pic of your setup?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: big_poppa49

who cares about speed on a OFF-ROAD buggy anyway? If you want something for speed to drive on a parking lot, I suggest you get a nitro car, like a HPI Nitro RS4 or something. The buggy you have is meant for racing/off-road bashing. Were in racing speed is not a factor. Racing is like 90% driver, 10% car. Its all in the skill, not the actual speed of the buggy
I know what the buggy was built for. and every body on here cares about speed. if these car/trucks/buggys only went along at 10 MPH would you be in this hobby???? I wouldn't!!!! Believe it or not even you care about SPEED! However the purpose of this test is to compare the 2 engines not nessecarily to see how fast I can get a buggy to go. I have now got the Vspec in the Hyper 7 and I will be doing the same test with it tomorrow weather permiting. But thanks for your very valuable imput.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:59 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: xjqkz

how did you mount your gps w/o damaging the screen inside the buggy? can you take a pic of your setup?
Pretty easy actually. just need a few rubber bands! it attatches to the wing.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM
[email protected]

thanks for the leason big poppa. you are so smart. i care about speed. its fun going fast. im sure im not the only one who thinks that way. take your dumb comments elsewhere. the funny thing is you took the time to write that out. you should have your own blog for these words of wisdom. lol
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 PM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

I hope you're just having a bad day. No one likes mr. negative all the time

Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 PM
The_Shark

thats not too bad. manufacture speeds are always exaggerated, traxxas claims are the worst.

i used to have a on-board speed meter, but it busted many moons ago.

with 15T gearing, on my 9.5 with a jammin jpx .21 and jammin JP-2 pipe (high-end) i would figure 45-55mph.
stock with the force .28 i would say 40mph (claimed 50+) but usually you stay well under 30mph in a race.

fastest car i made was a 7" carbon chassis 25T-60T gearing on a pan-car axle, aluminum straight axle up front, a 9T modified motor and a no-limit esc, it hit 78mph- a few passes and it got totaled over a pebble.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:21 AM
lez1troubles

Hi dude, speed is fun. 50MP/H aint bad.
A buggy can be used oa road or off road and eather way they are fun.
I some times go to the local cinima parking lot if it's raining to hard and race against the road boys and beleave me, my buggy can hold it's own against them.
Thats the fun about buggies, they go every where. You can even go VERY slowly and still enjoy the driving which can bet rather difficult.
Try some rock crawling with your buggy, now that is slow. When you've finnished that just go drag racing with the same car.
Buggies are universal, not like the road cars that can only handle the black top or a carpet.
Try racing a Kyosho Evolva over a buggy track. 10 meters and its DEAD.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM
yakfish

I just came in from doing some more speed testing. I wasn't able to test the acceleration since I forgot to bring the tape measure with me to the parking lot, but I tested the top speed with the OS .21 VZB V-Spec in the Hyper 7.

Top speed was 50.6 MPH. I found this interesting that the Mach 427 top speed was only 1.6MPH less than the V-Spec. Which means both engines have nearly the same top revs! I kept the gearing the same for both tests, they were both tested using a JP-3 pipe on 20% byron race blend fuel.

The V-Spec did have a slightly better bottom end, but both engines are very similar performance wise which I found interesting considering the price difference of both engines. The OS is definently smoother and tunes nicer but is it worth the extra $150-$200?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I just came in from doing some more speed testing. I wasn't able to test the acceleration since I forgot to bring the tape measure with me to the parking lot, but I tested the top speed with the OS .21 VZB V-Spec in the Hyper 7.

Top speed was 50.6 MPH. I found this interesting that the Mach 427 top speed was only 1.6MPH less than the V-Spec. Which means both engines have nearly the same top revs! I kept the gearing the same for both tests, they were both tested using a JP-3 pipe on 20% byron race blend fuel.

The V-Spec did have a slightly better bottom end, but both engines are very similar performance wise which I found interesting considering the price difference of both engines. The OS is definently smoother and tunes nicer but is it worth the extra $150-$200?
for most no.
for the greatest racers around, it would mean a win or a loss.

im sure my JPX .21 could easily keep up with the o.s no problem. but the power band is somewhat "jerky" and punchy, so it takes a bit of time to get used to it.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 AM
tommygun32

When you're talking about a 20 minute to 1 hour main....in the hands of a skilled driver, those numbers will seriously begin to add up.

Imagine if the 1 driver were to run each car in turn, on a track, for 20 minutes each, knowing the quirks and strengths of each engine. Hit every single line perfectly and not have a single crash. I'd be willing to wager there will be a significant difference between the two sessions.

Just my thoughts...[&:]
Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM
big_poppa49

man yak, one wrong move and you go flipping and your GPS will be toast! I guess its the only place you can mount it huh.

As for my comment, I can apologize. For some reason I didnt understand that you were just comparing two motors. Actually, in complete turn around, I find it kind of interesting to know that a Mach 427 is only 1.6MPH slower than the Spec, considering that a Mach 427 is what I run on my buggy. So I was in the wrong, my bad. I thought you were just trying to see how fast you could get it to go.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
yakfish

man yak, one wrong move and you go flipping and your GPS will be toast! I guess its the only place you can mount it huh.

As for my comment, I can apologize. For some reason I didnt understand that you were just comparing two motors. Actually, in complete turn around, I find it kind of interesting to know that a Mach 427 is only 1.6MPH slower than the Spec, considering that a Mach 427 is what I run on my buggy. So I was in the wrong, my bad. I thought you were just trying to see how fast you could get it to go.
No problem big_poopa, I was suprised myself to see how close the two perfomance wise. The Mach I am running even has the spin start so If I was to convert it to bump start I could probably get a few more RPM's out of it.

As for the GPS. yeah I cooked one on the back of my RC10GT a few months ago doing speed testing when it pulled the front wheels of the ground at 62 MPH and skidded across the parking lot for a few hundred feet! I am much more careful now and I tried to flip the buggy over before I mounted the GPS to make sure it was safe. I can't get it to flip even when going top speed and turning the wheels all the way. Onthe pavement it just slides.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 AM
tommygun32

Are radar speed guns available in the consumer market or are they only available to law enforcement, etc?

Never mind.... answered my own question. http://www.radarguns.com/rc-models-speed-guns.html
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM
lez1troubles

Speed guns can be sold to the public. Its not like your buying an automatic assault riffle.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
big_poppa49

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Never mind.... answered my own question. http://www.radarguns.com/rc-models-speed-guns.html
Wow, at those prices I would be willing to chance crashing my GPS!!! I can buy another GPS for like $120, and may not even have to
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, at those prices I would be willing to chance crashing my GPS!!! I can buy another GPS for like $120, and may not even have to
http://www.radarguns.com/bushnell-ra...ns-101911.html $85 radar gun is more than a $120 GPS?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM
yakfish

I have seen those bushnel guns for less than $40 on ebay
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
JsK

I think you guys are missing an important point. The V-spec will do anything a BigBlock
will do and do it using 30% less fuel. On most small to medium size tracks its not
difficult to pull 10 min plus out of a tank with a V-spec where the BigBlocks are
lucky to get 7min. Add this up over a 20-30 min main and you will be giving away
anwhere from 30 seconds to a minute over the course of a main.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:22 AM
tommygun32

ORIGINAL: JsK

I think you guys are missing an important point. The V-spec will do anything a BigBlock
will do and do it using 30% less fuel. On most small to medium size tracks its not
difficult to pull 10 min plus out of a tank with a V-spec where the BigBlocks are
lucky to get 7min. Add this up over a 20-30 min main and you will be giving away
anwhere from 30 seconds to a minute over the course of a main.
+1
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM
supertib

Top speed on the V-Spec may not be much faster on the JP3, however with a shim removal and a pipe change the results will change.... However with that being said I would imagine the aceleration of the V-Spec to be far superior to the Mach..... I know a JPX 21 will murder a Mach in a drag anyways..been there done that.....
Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
big_poppa49

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

http://www.radarguns.com/bushnell-ra...ns-101911.html $85 radar gun is more than a $120 GPS?
No, but if you read what I wrote, you may not even have to buy one b/c if you dont crash with your GPS then you wont have to replace it. Even the guy said he only crashed once

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.