Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Best 1/8th Buggy For Racing

Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
EricTyrrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 1/8th Buggy For Racing

I've been doing some research on what 1/8th buggy options to consider for racing. From that research it seems the "Caster Racing USA Fusion EX-1.5R Factory Pro Buggy" is best and newest opion out there. Are there any other buggies you guys would recommend investing in instead? I realize "best" is a common and subjective term, but I'm interested nonetheless.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
jmaxey51

Default RE: Best 1/8th Buggy For Racing

anything but caster IMO. they are just behind, they are ok and all but they still have a durability issue and they are a little old of a design IMO. i would stick with Hotbodies, Mugen, Losi, Jammin or AE.

i think Mugen is hard to beat right now, they have one of the best buggy out there. hotbodies is great too and you cant beat the price. personally i dont like losi at all but thats all driver preference.

the three i considered when i was getting a new truggy or buggy a few weeks ago were Mugen, Odonnell and Hotbodies. i ended up going with HB strictly because of the price and they are just as good as the rest IMO.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
breezerboat

The 3 most popular buggies I see at local races are Mugen, Losi, Xray, Hotbodies. And it might be in that order.

I run the MBX6 and love it.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
hakmazter

Anything but Caster...that is funny. Well, since you decided to comment.

I guess we are old and lacking in design considering we did in fact become the first manufacturer to actually make an electric 1/8 buggy and truggy.

I guess we are behind on design considering here is a link to a video where Jonathan Hernandez beat Tyler Vik. I am sure you have heard of Tyler Vik right? www.empirerc.net (round 1 electric 1/8 buggy) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hnlh...layer_embedded

I guess we are lacking in design even though RC Car and a few other manufacturers said that by far we have the best engineering design out there for electric 1/8 scale and that we thought of everything.

I guess I didn't get the memo that we didn't fix all the issues we had from 2004-2008. Oh wait, I remember, I was the one saying we had the issues that you are attempting to refer to...

I assure you our cars are as tough or moreso than any you mentioned for the 2010 lineup.

I guess that we are behind on design considering the new 1.5r came out within the last 30 days. Right now our biggest issue is that we cannot keep them in stock and have sold almost 50 stateside in a month. Compared to the fact that we sold just over 100 of the old fusions (pro, rtr, and sport) last year, I think that the consumers can clearlysee the massive differences and that we have gotten our act together finally.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:03 PM
EricTyrrell

I should have clarified that I'm only interested in electric. I'm aware there have been issues, even admited by the owner, of durability in past Caster products. However. I'm more interested in experience with their latest product and how it stacks up with current alternatives. Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
EricTyrrell

I believe the URL in your link was shortened and I'd like to see the video. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Bring it on

Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hnlhuQUIOs
Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Bring it on

Here you go. Here's a caster ex-1.
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azX_UbIGafs

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hOlVdksyzw

The new caster ex-1.5R has all the new and greatest stuff that allTeam Drivers wanted on the ex-1. Over 50 Team Drivers input.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Bring it on

Here's my Caster Fusion Truggy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cPz7kxpwU

Caster has lowered all there kit prices. So i think for they money they are one of the best choices
Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 PM
K_B

Ask ten people and you're bound to get at least six different answers. Get whichever appeals to you. I always take into consideration local parts supply...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: K_B

Ask ten people and you're bound to get at least six different answers. Get whichever appeals to you. I always take into consideration local parts supply...
Agree
Everyone will be biased to what they own or like (or work for) so pick one in your price range, go with it, and learn how to handle it so you win.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:55 AM
JsK

Are you planning on racing it or just bashing around? The only local functioning track right
now is RPM Hobbies. As far as I know there are no plans for an electric 1/8 class.
AE and Losi are the two main supported brands so I would recomend you go with
either a 8ight2.0 or a RC8B
Old 04-20-2010, 03:58 AM
lez1troubles

(((((KYOSHO)))))MP7.5 or the KYOSHO MP777. The MP9 aint to bad eather and it's a KYOSHO. Prices are in the middle(ish).
Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
EricTyrrell

ORIGINAL: JsK

Are you planning on racing it or just bashing around? The only local functioning track right
now is RPM Hobbies. As far as I know there are no plans for an electric 1/8 class.
AE and Losi are the two main supported brands so I would recomend you go with
either a 8ight2.0 or a RC8B
Rob gave me the impression nitro and electric run together. I'll have to check.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
JsK

Yes you can run with Nitros, but you gotta play by there rules.
That means 20-30 min mains.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
EricTyrrell

Which I'm guessing just means running high capacity batteries? That's simple enough unless I'm missing some other critical detail. Let's assume I used 6500 mAh 4S LiPo. Would it then make sense to race with the nitros and have a winning chance?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
hakmazter

More importantly, that means coming in for either a battery change or a simulated pitstop. Usually they want you to pull into pit lane and count to 10 and then go to act as if you are getting "refueled".

We do not want you out there running a Caster and being unethical and not following track rules IF you decide to become one of our customers. By the way, we do have the most informative forums in RC and are actively involved with RC Pro Series rule creation.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
EricTyrrell

I assure you I am an ethical person with every intention of racing properly. I assume you primarily mean unethical by not taking a pit stop? Or is using high capacity batteries unethical? If so, how much is too much capacity? What about voltage, and motor power? I only wish to use electric because I prefer the technology. For all I know it could end up being a disavantage, or an advantage. I'm new to racing so I just don't know a lot of this, but I appreciate your help in understanding.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
breezerboat

And if you are running an electric with a bunch of nitros, expect for a slow marshalling job. Marshals can't hear the electric.

Get a Nitro and learn it. When you go to a BIG race, the 1/8 scales are almost all Nitros. I am not dogging electric, I run both.

One more thing to notice at a race. Watch the spectaters when nitro is running... they gather to watch.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM
EricTyrrell

Thanks, but I'm really only interested in electric at this point. You have a good point about marshalling though.

I've started a new thread here regarding racing electric with nitro. I'm still interested to hear opinions on the original topic.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM
xxxnt236
My Feedback: (1)

hot bodies ve8
Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
jmaxey51

the Ve8 is great and all but plastic chassis....
i know people say they are fine and dont break but i have seen it done.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
hakmazter

Not really directed towards you in a negative way. Here is the deal. Nitro guys have had a tremendous argument against running electric vs nitro. Depending on setup and track style, electric CAN have a tremendous advantage.

I was just making the point that if you inadvertently do not follow your track rules for electric such as a mandatory pitstop, then you will create a nitro vs electric problem which is exactly what you do not want. What will happen then is "you can't run electric with us"

I am just saying that since we are small and we have a reputation and have a reputation for being an actual racing product in general, I would prefer to not have "that guy with the Caster" at your track creating potential issues even though it would most likely reflect on you. Certainly not saying you would or would not, just wanted you to be aware.

Example is a company that I will leave anonymous at this moment, but they are a small company that has a reputation for the guys being "bad apples" and we have had 2 defectors from them come over due to the embarrassment of their former teammates actions on and off the track.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 AM
EricTyrrell

I see. That's understandable.