Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Racing Electric With Nitro

Old 04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
EricTyrrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Electric With Nitro

How are electric 1/8th buggies raced properly with nitro 1/8th buggies? Also how is this balanced with the common goal to have the best setup possible (battery capacity, voltage, motor size/power, etc)? In other words; My goal is to race the best electric buggy personally possible with nitro buggies while being fair and following the rules. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM
FNR156

Default RE: Racing Electric With Nitro

Let them electric guys run whatever they want. If theres a big straight away on track youll fall behind there. If not you can keep up, and if they become a problem just start pushin them all over the track with your extra weight haha!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM
breezerboat

The way I see it. There are true Nitro guys and there are true Electric guys.

At my track, the true Nitro guys typically run 1/8 Nitro and 1/10 electric. So Nitro guys CAN do both.

But, the true electric guys can only run electric.

If anyone wants to be known as the a true all out RC guy, I think they have to win and be successful with both. Those that win only in electric... that doesn't impress me. It takes more skill off the track to win with Nitro. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 AM
hakmazter

Depends on the track. Rough guess would be to run a 14 volt setup (4s) on about a 2000kv motor with a 13 tooth pinion if you want to be slightly faster, but fair.

If you are not a great driver, you might want to consider running a 2s system with a 17 tooth pinion like our 748 concept from Caster, then upgrade into the additional battery later as your driving skills improve.

As for the batteries, the S is voltage, the mah is runtime, and the C is how fast the battery will release energy.

You can run higher voltage (5s,6s) and if done right, will run cooler temperatures, but will cost more for a proper esc.

Mah is a challenge depending on the car. Since we use 2 batteries in series, we get longer run times that the cars that use a single pack. 5000mah will get you 12-16 minutes if you re agressive and up to 20 if you have a smooth trigger finger.

C is like having a I4 vs V6 vs V8.... As the number increases, the more power can discharge. If you are a great driver, this is important, but if not, it can create traction issues and you counteract it by changing the controls on the remote, therefore defeating any gain you accomplished by having the higher "C"