Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

HPI Vorza Flux HP....VS....REDCAT Backdraft 8E

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

HPI Vorza Flux HP....VS....REDCAT Backdraft 8E

Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM
DirtyChevyRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Vorza Flux HP....VS....REDCAT Backdraft 8E

I own a RedCat Aftershock 8E and I love the truck, but Ihave been looking into some buggies and I am thinking what to get next.

My top two, for price are:

HPIVORZAHP
- Solid parts
- Good Contstruction
- Durable?
- Well known company

or

REDCAT Backdraft 8E
-Quick Car Stock
- Company is growing
- Low cost

My question is which should Iconsider.

The HPIseems like a tough buggy that was built right for the price. Spending a little more for a car that has solid parts and is straight up tough.
The RedCat has very soft stock screws and cheap pastics, but for the cost, around $250 less, I can upgrade the screws and new aluminum parts.

PLEASELEAVESUGGESTIONSBELOW.

Thanks all.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
jmaxey51

Default RE: HPI Vorza Flux HP....VS....REDCAT Backdraft 8E

the redcat has a lower cost starting but youll end up spending twice the difference fixing it. go with the vorza, they are great, ive driven a few and they are good for the money AND most parts off the the HotBodies D8 buggy will fit on it. like arms, axils, shocks, ECT.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
DirtyChevyRC

Ihave just recently started researching them, but I will def. keep the Vorza in mind. Are the screws stainless, or atleast not cheap??
Ihave screws in the RedCat breaking left and right, so Ihave to replace that part because the screws breaking off inside. Too hard to drill/tap them out.

Also, if your opinion. What mods would you make to the Vorza? It seems to have a lot of good parts on it already but Iread out of the box, it isn't very race ready...

Thanks for your time.

_Paul_
Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: DirtyChevyRC

Ihave just recently started researching them, but I will def. keep the Vorza in mind. Are the screws stainless, or atleast not cheap??
Ihave screws in the RedCat breaking left and right, so Ihave to replace that part because the screws breaking off inside. Too hard to drill/tap them out.

Also, if your opinion. What mods would you make to the Vorza? It seems to have a lot of good parts on it already but Iread out of the box, it isn't very race ready...

Thanks for your time.

_Paul_
the screws arent stainless, they are cheap good screws, they do not strip if you have a good set of hex wrenches. the vorza is a good enough to race out of the box, but IMO youll need different shock springs, different oils in diffs and shocks and a little different gearing you'll be set. its decent out of the box but i think the most important thing is gearing. i havent owned a electric but ive driven alot and the vorza and Ve8 are the best IMO. im thinking about making an Odonnell buggy into electric or get theirs when it comes out sometime early next year.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 AM
genitor

Check out the ofna lx-1e
$189 as a roller, parts are strong, easy to find and cheap to replace.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i realize this is not one of your choices but have you ever looked at the XTM Rail, it's brushless and around $500 i think it's a good deal and cheaper than the vorza and just as tough.

http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index....29c923nqmld4f7
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM
DirtyChevyRC

Very awesome suggestion. I have never heard of the XTM Rail, but looks like everything I want. From what little research I have done on them, seems to be built to last; all or mostly aluminum parts, roll cage..very nice. Seems to be at the top of my list right now. Have to do a little more research but all in all seems pretty sweet. Do you have one or just know of them??
Old 09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: DirtyChevyRC

Very awesome suggestion. I have never heard of the XTM Rail, but looks like everything I want. From what little research I have done on them, seems to be built to last; all or mostly aluminum parts, roll cage..very nice. Seems to be at the top of my list right now. Have to do a little more research but all in all seems pretty sweet. Do you have one or just know of them??
hard to get parts for.... stick to the main companys HPI, Ofna, AE etc. i woudnt go to redcat or XTM , so hard to find and get parts for, caster would be easier than those 2 and they are still hard to get parts for. the redcat and XTM is built for bashing only IMO

Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
bigdogkanicsar

xtm is something my LHS has been carrying for a while and have an array of parts for .
how are you at buying online?
i do most of my purcasing online as it is so to me it's no big deal, but not the case for everyone.

xtm in my opinion is a fantastic vehicle and very versitile.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
DirtyChevyRC

I do all my shopping online. All my LHS are all Traxxas and Losi. I wanted to be different so for my first ever RC I got a RedCat Aftershock. Thing is fun as hell and quick. I just recently started looking at buggies and think I fell in love with the XTM. I do all my shopping online. My LHS is a piece of crap. They were "going to order a ton of RedCat parts", so I waited about two weeks and all they got in were a few drive shafts and a spur gear. Pissed me off so - have been doing all my shopping online. Small price to pay to not be like everyone else and not have a Traxxas or Losi IMO. Does this buggy run on two batteries ? Probably seeing its 1/8.. I have watched a bunch of videos and read quite a few forums so this may be the buggy I pick.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM
bigdogkanicsar

here are the features per XTM

XTM Rail 1/8-Scale Buggy Features

Heavy-duty brushless matched system includes industrial strength brushless ESC and heat-sinked high-torque brushless motor with a combined 3 cooling fans to eliminate over-heating
Threaded aluminum oil-filled shock bodies with with heavy duty shock shafts
Three race-level differentials which can be adjusted with silicone oils
Completely adjustable race-tuned front and rear variable suspension geometry for camber & toe-in
Aggressive tire design good for multiple surfaces. Optional sand-paddle tires available!
Uses commonly available NiMH or LiPo battery packs from 7.2 volts to 14.8 volts
Adjustable wing
Includes the high-quality, highly-acclaimed Airtronics 2.4GHz MX-Sport radio
Includes a metal-gear high-torque steering servo
One terrific handling buggy loaded with features and reliability
Old 09-07-2010, 06:30 PM
hakmazter

Caster is way better than XTM. Brushless and 2.4 for $350 at casterracingusa.com.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I had an XTM buggy and I loved it. It was heavy, but tough as heck, and it was built with quality parts. In a way i wish i still had it. You will probably have to get parts online, but I buy almost all my stuff online, and if you do that too(like you said you did), then the XTM will be a great buggy for you.

Eric
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
DirtyChevyRC

Thanks Eric and BigDog, I have been doing a lot of reading and looking up online. Not too many people have this buggy it seems but from what I see I like. I like the fact it tough as nails but still pretty quick. My question is, can you run two batteries at once or does it require one of this huge batteries that look like two combined?

All in all, she looks like what I am looking for. Imay be possibly ordering her soon, depending on the cash flow.
I plan on putting aluminum shock towers and some select stainless screws on the RedCat and letting the girlfriend use that one (and me for bashing), and then I will use this one.

Really excited. Thanks for all the info. Iam going to be starting an XTMRail thread and seeing who has one and what they think. If so, see you guys there.

Ciao

Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 AM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

I have to admit the XTM Rail is a nice; sort of reminds of a HPI Baja 5b someone else on another forum said this also.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
redlined_b16a

my money is on the rail
do your research on both,just google "redcat racing problems" im sure post will come up about peoples experiance with redcat
then search the same for other manufactures and you will see they all have lemons.
people will say blah... blah its crap buy this instead cause its there favorite.
personally id buy a redcat today,5 years ago hell no
my local hobbyshop use to get tons of redcats with no starting engines,faulty tx/rx,leaky engine gaskets ect.The company has improved and grown alot.The local hobbyshop now deals with redcat and sells buggies.
My brother had got a redcat buggy roller in a trade recently,I was inpressed with the quality in the front drivetrain,shimmed with hardened steel gears
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM
joeyhatch11

Last summer I had a 1/8 RedCat Hurricane with a .28 SH motor. That buggy was the ***** and took a hell of a beating. My buddy was running an Ofna Ultra and had so many issues everytime we went out. More motor problems than another. But even after I tunned it for him he would manage to break something. My RedCat would keep truckin one hard landing after another. I was looking at getting the BackDraft 8e but found someone that was willing to trade an Assocaited RC8e for my 500 heli so I went that route. But if the heli had sold I would have went right for the RedCat. The HPI Vorza looks SUPER sweet but I dont have $600 to spend on that. I was even thinking of using TowerHobbies "easy pay" for it but like I said I found my deal and went for it.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM
bigdogkanicsar

now back in the day i had an ofna ultra mbx in 2001 and i beat the crap out of it and never broke 1 part.
engine started every time and tuned without a hitch.
that's the reason i went and got another one and i love it. they are some of the toughest cars and easy on the wallet.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
RRHobbyDepot
My Feedback: (1)

Rails aren't holding up from what I'm reading. Many brands go with plastic to cut costs. I think that HPI is good but that Caster Racing is better.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: powerlifter450

Rails aren't holding up from what I'm reading. Many brands go with plastic to cut costs. I think that HPI is good but that Caster Racing is better.
Not really to cut costs. In alot of cases plastic will flex (arms, and some suspension parts),and deflect the energy from impact, where aluminum will just transfer it to the weakest link and bend.
So which would you prefer do a jump, and bend a arm or break something expensive farther in, or have cheaper plastic parts that will warp to absorb the energy or in worst case scenario snap instead of transferring the energy from the impact to something that is harder to get to and probably costs more?

No clue on the rail though my post is just about RC's in general.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

having the same car as others locally can have big benefits, first off a buddy might have a spare part for you if your out racing/bashing etc. second, it is good to have a car supported by your local shop so that when you do break a stupid little part you can pick it up at the shop insted of waiting for a week for mail order stuff and paying for the shipping which makes it more or the same cost at least of whats at the HS. 3rd you can see what parts work or dont work if others have already bought/tried them.