RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Best tires for hard packed blue grooved track + 90 degree weather (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/10529010-best-tires-hard-packed-blue-grooved-track-90-degree-weather.html)

golfandcards 05-19-2011 04:27 AM

Best tires for hard packed blue grooved track + 90 degree weather

I have been doing some research and found that the softest compounds are not the best for hard packed/lightly dusty/grooved tracks (like how our track is prepped during race day several times throughout the day).
I like the AKA brand. I am looking to order some new tires for this next race day and I found that the Medium even hard compounds work better when the track is blue grooved.

I am sure you guys have seen this chart before.

http://www.rcracewaysonline.com/AKA%20Tire%20Chart.html

Every tire on the chart shows better handling on Hard and Medium compounds when the weather is hot and the track is blue grooved. I bought soft I-teams last race and they hooked up pretty nice. I noticed as the track got more grooved and blown off the I-beams were losing a little bit of the traction.
The last thing that made me start researching tire compounds a bit more was my visit to the track after race day. This guy driving a slash put some hard city blocks on his car and the tires looked as if they were glued to the ground. His truck was handling very well and never slid around at all. I mean this was after watching him drive with soft tires then putting the hard tires on to compare. Grant it the track was very blue grooved... I never heard of anyone really using Medium or Hard compounds during race day. Am I straying away from whats optimal here?? Anyone know about using harder compounds on blue grooved tracks? I see there is a huge difference in the chart when the weather is hot compared to cold. Mid 90's would be considered hot weather right?

lez1troubles 05-19-2011 05:05 AM

RE: Best tires for hard packed blue grooved track + 90 degree weather

Check out MEDIAL PRO tyres.

golfandcards 05-19-2011 07:04 AM

Anyone running all City Blocks Soft on hard pack clay tracks? It will be blown off and slightly wet down but the water dries almost instantly. Iusually get I-beams soft. I just noticed how the chart says the city blocks hook up a little better in more categories with Soft compounds. ?? any ideas

JTuepker1 05-19-2011 08:56 AM

What about wishbones have you seen anyone running them or j concepts bar codes.

golfandcards 05-19-2011 09:01 AM

Haven't run any of those. Our track is really dusty (hot dry packed clay) but we blow it off then spray it down. We do this a few times through out the day because after a race or two the dust starts to come back into the lanes. our track blue grooves very well though. I think this happens because we blow the track off and spray it down at least 5 to 7 times during each race day. I am thinking city blocks are going to be my best bet because the edges of the lanes are usually looser dirt and the city blocks will handle well in that loose stuff when Istray away from the line. Also many many people are running the city-beam setup. I just wonder why people don't do City Blocks all around. I couldn't wait to hear from anyone and I just went ahead and ordered a pair of city blocks and I beams in soft. Ihave the city blocks going up front and I- beams going in the back. I am pretty sure this will work fine just trying to really dial in my tires... Thanks though

jmaxey51 05-19-2011 08:49 PM

Pro-Line M3 Revolvers

Pathous 05-19-2011 10:24 PM

I run barcodes on packed indoor clay with a good blue groove. They work very well.

Zanek 11-12-2011 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: golfandcards

Anyone running all City Blocks Soft on hard pack clay tracks? It will be blown off and slightly wet down but the water dries almost instantly. Iusually get I-beams soft. I just noticed how the chart says the city blocks hook up a little better in more categories with Soft compounds. ?? any ideas

I have. They work great. There are two people at our track running City blocks on their SC trucks. They are running 2wd, and they can beat ALL of the people who come and drive 4wd
<br type="_moz" />

nitroexpress 11-12-2011 07:35 PM

Indoor hard clay.Little to no dust. - Hot Bodies Beams in pink or red compound.

Minkis815 11-21-2011 05:25 AM

aka rebar or jc barcodes. Can't go wrong with either one. But a forum isn't the best place to find tread patterns and compounds. Go to your local track and ask the guys there. You will most likley get a better answer. Although I just started running aka's on my shortcourse and def loving them. But there not as easly found as jc's.

sh0wtime 12-02-2011 12:41 PM

J Concepts 3d's are made for these kind of tracks aren't they?
just pick the right compound based on the temperature & you're good to go :)

jmaxey51 12-03-2011 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: golfandcards

i did last race when the track had some "fluff" worked great. super soft compound. impacts and grid iron worked well too ... wishbone work very well, but they wear faster, these are the ticket in hard pack though... i usually run city blocks, impacts, grid iron, or enduros.
<br type="_moz" />