RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Whats happening to my clutch bearings???? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/1704761-whats-happening-my-clutch-bearings.html)

Gsir8 04-08-2004 09:14 PM

Whats happening to my clutch bearings????

Ive' gone through about 4 sets of clutch bearings so far. Why!? I have a washer/shim behind the first bearing that is against the clutch nut. Then now more until after the last bearing there is about 3. It has a little play and spins for about 2 -3 seconds. Is this right? Why are they wearing out so fast?

k-carboy 04-08-2004 09:40 PM

RE: Whats happening to my clutch bearings????

is your gear mesh maybe a little too tight? i got ahold of a bad batch of bearings a while back and they are frustrating. the best ive used yet are the metal shielded ones. they seem to hold up a lot better.

Gsir8 04-08-2004 10:15 PM

They are meshed fine. Anything else?

BUGGIES_R_US 04-08-2004 11:02 PM

Be careful with shims etc.

If your bearing is rubbing against one.. even though it may spin.. at 30k rpm this will produce some SERIOUS heat and kill your bearings..

theres something rubbing there.. thats my guess
ram

theShark 04-08-2004 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BUGGIES_R_US

If your bearing is rubbing against one.. even though it may spin.. at 30k rpm this will produce some SERIOUS heat and kill your bearings..

once the clutch engages the bearings don't spin and everything is locked in place so it will never spin at 30k

Gsir8 04-09-2004 08:03 PM

How can the bearings now be touching the shims?

bill61 04-09-2004 09:37 PM

They will touch as the shims retain the bearings in position. They just don't need to be tight, need about .5mm of play.

Gsir8 04-10-2004 08:43 PM

They went again!? WHY!?

BUGGIES_R_US 04-12-2004 10:23 AM

Darn that sucks.. Hey it only takes about 5-10 seconds for that thing to go up to 1000 degrees if you have friction.. idle time is all you need!

The only thing that can kill a bearing is Water (rust), vibration and heat.. Its got to be one of em!

ram

Da Smak 04-12-2004 12:27 PM

now which type are you running in there?

But I to think your shimming is too tight 2-3 secs of spin aint much. I recommend you get some teflon sealed bearings and leave about .010 of endfloat for the clutchbell to rotate. Also some stronger springs and maybe adjust your brakes a little as ridding the clutch wont help them.

RaZ_Tx 04-12-2004 02:28 PM

also may try a new bell and what kind of conditions you running in??