RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   OFNA PRODUCT DECEPTION? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/2268294-ofna-product-deception.html)

SKYLINE350GT 10-19-2004 10:08 PM

RE: OFNA PRODUCT DECEPTION?

!

El Pirata 10-19-2004 10:09 PM

SKYLINE350GT,
Is it just me or are there 3 of us that know you have not a clue what you are talking about as far as the money invested into R&D?

SKYLINE350GT 10-19-2004 10:20 PM

!

JSW 10-19-2004 10:57 PM

El Pirata your being a bit harsh on SKYLINE350GT.

Manufactuerer would be lucky to see 100 percent profit its a long term thing for them.
Distributor, only a poor distibutor would make less than 200 percent profit and often much more. I used to be a distributor for Car Audio and it was like making money !!
Dealer, typically a dealer only makes 40 percent.

El Pirata 10-19-2004 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: JSW

El Pirata your being a bit harsh on SKYLINE350GT.
Possibly.

MAXXacceleration 10-20-2004 12:09 AM

'Model shown may vary slightly from kit.'

'All specifications are subject to change without prior notice.'

Right there on my OFNA boxtop.

Purple IS kinda ugly(unless its your girlfriends purple G string :D).

/Whining LOL

fhm101 10-20-2004 12:15 AM

ORIGINAL: SKYLINE350GT
You know what. I don't have the time to break down big business to ya'll. Do yourselves all a favor and open up a Big Business for Dummies book and read. You'll see what I'm talking about.
As an OEM for the fishing tackle industry for the last 15 years i have a vague idea of how business works.

b@5her 10-20-2004 12:46 AM

I think your all getting too carried away with the colour thing which u agree is very trivial, however showing the buggy with an 8port engine in the ad's then supplying it with a standard hyper21 is a far bigger issue as in my experience the 8 port is a hell of a lot quicker than the standard engine.

oldchopdoc 10-20-2004 07:16 AM

Just so you know, the law that covers disclaimers only allows them to be in effect for a short period of time in a case like this one. They knew for nearly a year and a half that customers aren't getting what is represented on the box, or on their web-site. Simple...Put a picture of something nice on the site and on the box, then write a disclaimer...Huh! Um, check the Federal Trade Commissions site...It doesn't work like that in cases of obvious deception.;)

OFNA knows they are selling a cheaper product and they know the ads are false!

ShOzz 10-20-2004 08:09 AM

color is not the issue.

is it the Engine that was advertised is the question?

make/model ?

oldchopdoc 10-20-2004 09:02 AM

Showzz,

Thanks! You're right...sort of! My whole point is that I didn't get what I was told I would get. My son just turned 10. He's been running electrics and then MTs since he was 6. He puts a lot of older drivers to shame. He loves the color of the buggy and the look of the engine. He picked out this buggy as the one he wanted for his first buggy. What he got when he unwrapped it was a different matter. He hates the engine because it's ugly. He's only ten so he's still into the looks part of it, rather than what's underneath. I agree with him. If he had wanted this style of engine he wouldn't have chosen OFNA because the ads show something different.

I wanted to let people know about this. If you like the way the OFNA looks and buy it expecting to get what the ads show...you're in for a surprise! One that you might not like, especially when it's a birthday present your son really wanted!

I think that if you advertise it one way, sell it that way! In this case the law's on my side because of the amount of time that has passed since they made the change to the engine.

scale only 4 me 10-20-2004 09:35 AM

they covered their arses

All pictures found on this website are for reference only. Equipment, stock parts, accessories, hopups, colors, etc. shown in the photos of this website are subject to change without prior notice.
read more
http://www.ofna.com/disclaimer.html

El Pirata 10-20-2004 10:13 AM

oldchopdoc,
If your son wants a purple head then I am sure Krylon makes a high temp purple.

fhm101 10-20-2004 10:15 AM

It's nothing more than a large company using the old bait and switch scam to bolster profits. The reason they do it is because they can get away with it by trotting out their disclaimer and offering to "make right" any kit they get a complaint on. if a customer took legal action, their offer to exchange the engine would be seen as good faith and the action would be dismissed. They depend on most folks not wanting their new buggy to sit while an engine exchange is made, and from most of the replies to this thread it's easy to see why they can depend on it.

scale only 4 me 10-20-2004 10:37 AM

Chops,
I have a spare h 21 8-port sitting around, it you want to swap the head, I'll send you mine and you can send me the black one after you swap them out. It's not brand new and it has a couple small scratches, but it still looks pretty good.

Email me if you want to do it.

oldchopdoc 10-20-2004 10:42 AM

Scale,

The Federal Trade Commission says their "arses" aren't covered. The engine change was made well over a year ago, but the ads haven't been changed yet. Once they made the change to the engine law says the disclaimer you quoted only protects them for a certain period of time and that time has long since passed. Also, in some cases a disclaimer isn't worth the paper it's printed on according to the law...Not in those words though! Not all disclaimers are within the guidelines of the law. Intensional deception by failing to change advertisements in a timely manner is one that falls under that category.

scale only 4 me 10-20-2004 11:03 AM

So what you next move?
Spend a bunch of time and money standing on princable, or go to ebay a spend $10-$15 on a new head?

30 minute left ebay item # 5927185734 ;)

oldchopdoc 10-20-2004 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scale,

Thanks a bunch for the great offer. I really appreciate it. We're bolting an Omega X7-R in it tonight that was an extra I had with, you guessed it, a purple anodized cooling head. It's supposed to be the same as a Picco P7-R. He's happy again, but I don't know if he will be ready for that kind of power. We're putting the extra tiny restrictor in it just in case!:D

scale only 4 me 10-20-2004 11:30 AM

BaaaaLIINNNNGGG!!!!

Good job Dad!!;)

oldchopdoc 10-20-2004 11:31 AM

Scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a genius you are!:D You saved one of my favorite engines for me!;) I just bought the cooling head you found for $17 shipping included.:)

I was spending so much time trying to get back at OFNA I never checked the E--- site.

You saved my engine and put me back in good grace with a pissed off 10 year old!:D

THANKS!!

oldchopdoc 10-20-2004 11:34 AM

Scale,

We're missing eachother while we type! He'll still get the engine, but only after some practice with the Hyper engine!

Thanks again!

scale only 4 me 10-20-2004 12:31 PM

If you are one of the lucky ones and end up with one of the good 8-ports,
you'll be surprised how powerful the 8-port is. It's just as fast as my vo1b is. :D

Ebay head??
Now when you get that on from the ebay guy, send the black one back to Ofna, then when they send you the new one, sell it on ebay?? you'll be close to even.

Party on Garth:)

Da Smak 10-20-2004 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: El Pirata

ORIGINAL: scale_only_4_me-RCU

You what I'd be curious about is the engine with the black case used to be the 4-port and the purple head is the 8-port
has anyone actually looked at the newer black head engines to see if it actually has the 8-port p/s??
Now if it doesn't, that would be a deception.
You all might want to write this date down, I am actually agreeing with my esteemed coleauge (however you spell the dern word). I may not know apples from oranges however the only engine that Ofna sells that has a black head and says Hyper 21 on the side is the old hyper 21 rated at 1.9hp vs the 8 port hyper 21 rated at 2.5hp. As far as a sollution to your problem you're unfortunately up a creek. Unless you are a lawyer or have a free one you're better off just accepting things no matter how wrong they are.
Good dammit, I have to agree AGAIN. The engines were actually Upgraded to have the black heads as it was found in R&D (yes Ho Bao do have that) theat the emisivity of the black heads was better and actually allowed the head to be more efficient and so the engine performed better at a lower temp. The Plastic Gimmick is actually what people esteme to when they plonk tiewraps on the head to protect it.

livthemoment 10-20-2004 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: El Pirata

Hey there now kid, you better watch a few more episodes of the people's court. It is NOT false advertising to include something that is not in the description such as adding an additional part like the plastic head protector. It is false advertising to not include something that is in the description. What is the likelyhood of you actually gaining something from the dispute? Probably slim. Ofna already said they would replace the head if the buyer would pay for the shipping, so they have made their commitment to right wrong things, weak but they still offered. It does cost something that's called MONEY to file almost anything in any city, state or federal court. All in all even if Ofna didn't put the right engine in there or whether they are found guilty of false advertising you're looking at a $50 part awarded to you and $200 in court fees for your lawsuit.
I take offense to that kid reference in an attempt to invalidate my statements because they are true. It does not cost that much to file the only hassle is going. And asking for money back is reasonable and highly likely to fall in his (assuming you are male) favor
Second small fry or youngster or 11 year old or some other age related phrase that you are, in an attempt to make my point true even if it is not based on fact...just because you have no legal experience does not make you right

ocvandal 10-20-2004 04:34 PM

I have both heads the purple "bling" head is smaller than the new black head. stop crying and buy a new purple head for 8 bucks on ebay like I did