RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Lookin 4 the best (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/2955098-lookin-4-best.html)

Crazy Canuck 05-08-2005 11:36 AM

Lookin 4 the best

Hey all,

I am thinking about getting into 1/8th scale and want to know what, in your opinion, is the best buggy out there. Whether you own it, want it or had it, what is the most durable, fastest and best all around buggy? All opinions count as I want to do this right, no worries about prices, let the opinions roll!

Cheers

:D

mbx5prospec 05-08-2005 11:42 AM

RE: Lookin 4 the best

Here are the three best and also the most expensive! If you want to make sure you finish a race here you go : Mugen Seiki MBX5 Prospec, XRAY XB8R, Kyosho 777 SP1

SKYLINE350GT 05-08-2005 01:53 PM

I would say the Kyosho is THE most durable out of the top three. The Xray XB8 not XB8R would be third- and the prospec second. The Xray by far has THE Freest flowing drivetrain in the biz. Each car has its ups and downs- but with any of those three you can't go wrong.

eric5541 05-08-2005 01:57 PM

I have heard some bad things about the mugen mbx5 prospec. Apparently the diffs have weak O-rings that leak oil onto the brakes, reducing stopping power and making a mess. I don't have one so I can't say this is true in every mbx5, but something like that would make me think twice about buying one.

MBX5T Maniac 05-08-2005 02:56 PM

i say the kyosho mp 777 sp1. the sp2 comes out soon though

Crazy Canuck 05-08-2005 04:17 PM

Thanks guys... Goin to the LHS tomorrow, he has a Kyosho in stock so I'll take a look and maybe add another car to my garage, just hope the wife doesn't find out...I'll take a look online but anyone know when the SP2 hits the shelves offhand?

Cheers

SKYLINE350GT 05-08-2005 04:42 PM

SP2 won't be on the shelves till around the end of this year.

danremote14 05-08-2005 05:04 PM

actually my lhs said he was getting them in stock next week

Da Smak 05-08-2005 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mbx5prospec

Here are the three best and also the most expensive! If you want to make sure you finish a race here you go : Mugen Seiki MBX5 Prospec, XRAY XB8R, Kyosho 777 SP1
Nah XB8, not XB8R, there is a difference the R is the lower spec. The Hyper 7 Pro UK should be in there above the SP1, possibly even the TTR S3, but I think I'd just go for the XB8, it just looks so gooooood sat next to me here.

thebuggyman 05-08-2005 08:21 PM

Duratrax Axis!!! They are like the best of the best. My buddy's friends dad has one with a huge motor and a three speed gears and it does like 70 mph. No one can beat it.:D:);)

dryvr 05-08-2005 09:12 PM

If you want to make sure you finish a race, learn how to drive :eek: :D

MBX5T Maniac 05-08-2005 09:18 PM

LOL! just buy the kyosho mp777 sp1. it'll be awesome.

Crazy Canuck 05-08-2005 09:39 PM

I can drive, I can drive...lol..although sometimes it looks like I'm drunk...I just like having good stuff, why pay good money for something when it isn't worth it, which is why I posted this question. I went in to my LHS today cuz I couldn't wait and took a look at the Kyosho. Pretty nice set o wheels, just thinkin about it tonight and will probably go back after work tomorrow to get it. I recently got a JRXS3 Pro so the more vehicles I can get on it the better! Thanks to all who had a say...I will be back to let you all know how break in and first day at the track went...with pics.

Cheers

MBX5T Maniac 05-08-2005 11:08 PM

don't forget to pick up good servos and a fail safe and return springs! and use a fm radio

Foxy 05-09-2005 02:53 AM

Thunder Tiger EB4-S3, that's my opinion, it has cool innovations, like the variable damping shocks and the dual pick up fuel tank (so that it stays running when upside down), not to mention the stiffest and coolest looking chassis in the business. It's a winner out of the box...the mugen has its problems and I just don't like K cars...over priced...

mbx5prospec 05-09-2005 10:06 PM

Prospec a K car? How is that? All cars have problems, and the few the mugen has are easy to correct! Also you have to look at how easy it is to get parts... Remember to win a race, not only you have to be a good driver, your car has to be able to handle it also, if you look at the stats, the first 10 cars that always WIN are the Kyosho, XRAY, Mugen, TTR and Hoboa

MBX5T Maniac 05-09-2005 10:16 PM

mainly mbx5's and k-cars.

Crazy Canuck 05-09-2005 11:24 PM

Love the Kyosho. I went in to the LHS to have one last look at the SP1 before laying down over 800 Canadian for it, then an engine and electronics on top of that. So needless to say, my bank account will look like I took it bashing instead of my Revo. My LHS stocks tons of parts for it so when, not if I break it, there are no worries about gettin parts.

Cheers

;)

Crazy Canuck 05-10-2005 09:26 PM

Hey all,

Well I told you I would keep you informed and here is the update. The female found out about the Kyosho and nearly had a heart attack so I compromised (lol, if only she knew) and got the Mugen MBX5 with an OS .21 VZ-B V-Spec, some JR servos and an OS T-2050 pipe. I have yet to break it in but will do so the moment I have some spare time. I'll post some pics when the free time comes too...Anything else I should think about getting? Some of you posted that their is an oil leak problem with the diffs, weak O-Rings? So should I just get some new ones right away or wait to see if it is a problem. Anyways, thanks to all again for your two cents worth, hopefully I'll win something other than worst driver award...lol

Cheers

JJJEEEFFFFFF 05-10-2005 09:58 PM

I have heard some bad things about the mugen mbx5 prospec. Apparently the diffs have weak O-rings that leak oil onto the brakes, reducing stopping power and making a mess. I don't have one so I can't say this is true in every mbx5, but something like that would make me think twice about buying one.
this is true and annoying but shouldn't scare you off getting the car. [link=http://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=396]here[/link] is what you need to fix the diff leak problem. I'm sure that all these buggies have little things that need modifying or replacing to make them all they can be.

I'ld personally get these asap. I didn't even though i was told to now i got to take the diffs apart and put them in.

no matter which of the top cars you get you'll be happy with it. All cars need the bugs sorting out

JustinWZP 05-10-2005 10:02 PM

I just bought a Prospec the other day along with two P5s, servos and the whole deal. When my fiancée found out I was in deep ****. Then I reminded her about all of the $2000 bags she has and she shut up. If women can spend thousands on shoes and purses, I can buy all the toy cars I want.

Unless she's the bread winner.........then you have a problem.

Crazy Canuck 05-10-2005 10:44 PM

I'll definitely get the fixes for the diffs, no use in having them fail during race day, best to fix now! Thanks for link...now I know what to look for. My female definitely is a shop aholic but try to tell her that...I just keep my mouth shut and all is good. She's a lawyer and makes way more money than me but she knows I like my toys...she just has a hard time accepting the fact it has four wheels instead of a strap or high heels...lol.

Cheers
:)

Crazy Canuck 05-11-2005 01:01 PM

Ok, another update for those of you who still read this thread, this is my last update cuz I think I've beaten it to death. I went back to my LHS and bit the big bullet...gave back the Mugen...and got the Kyosho!!!! Now I am 100% happy! Just going to bring it home under cover of darkness and put it right on the rack with the others...she'll never know the difference. If she does find out then I say goodbye now, look for my testicles on Ebay along with my R/C collection...lol

Cheers