RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Back to the Buggys (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/3105301-back-buggys.html)

Element 06-24-2005 01:12 PM

Back to the Buggys

Well after being out of nitro for close to two years now I have decided to make a comeback.
First let me apologize for this post as I know there at least 10 posted every day.

Ok now that’s out of the way on to my question. I want to buy a buggy I would prefer a kit but seeing as the prices on kits are fairly close to the price of an rtr it looks like I will be going this route. I have around $400-$450 to spend. As of now I'm leaning to the MP-7.5 rtr right now as I like the fact there are plenty of hop-ups available but I'm also wondering if it will be replaced with a new model now that the 777s are out.

The buggy is going to be used for bashing on a track (both a club and backyard track) and some club racing. I have also been looking at the Hot Bodies Lightning 2RR, Ofna Hyper 7 Buggy and the Ofna 9.5 Violator buggy. I know there is no perfect or best buggy but for my application which buggy would be the least likely money pit (if it possible to find one in the hobby :D ).

I will most likely scrap all the stock electronics so in favor of a Synthesized setup so there not to big of a concern for me.

Thank you for any input you may provide.
-Greg

Foxy 06-24-2005 01:32 PM

RE: Back to the Buggys

Since you're replacing the radio etc., don't bother with an RTR...trouble is, you don't have enough money to 'kit out' a kit in a satisfactory way...the MP 7.5 Readyset is absolute pants (I am told, reliably), I haven't driven it, but I have seen the spec, and it's just too much of a compromise, there are better buggies for less money...have you done a search yet? You should...use the term 'which buggy' and you'll get the majority of recent threads on this topic with lots of opinions. With the money you have, you should be thinking about the OFNA Hyper 7 PBS/PCR RTR bugs, or a Sportwerks mayhem (personally I prefer the Hyper as it comes with a race legal engine and a starter box...I hate pullstarts). Buy a decent steering servo straight away and you're all set...alternatively, save some more money and get a pro kit, like a TTR S3 or a Jammin X1-CR...good luck, don't forget to do that search...

Foxy 06-24-2005 01:33 PM

Oh, and they're all money pits, even if you buy a $700 kit...

Martin CHr 06-24-2005 03:29 PM

If you know you are gonna race nitro a really long time, I think you should buy a kit (pro) as they are MUCH better than the RTR cars. I had an Inferno MP 7.5 and it was a bunch of crap! It really sucked, the C-hubs could take no bashing and the dogbones was to short (they fell out all the time).. etc.

If your LHS has GS storm pro cars I can only recommend it. Awsome car, very durable!

jmaggio 06-24-2005 03:35 PM

i have the hyper 7 pro and have raced it 6 times and never broke a thing, its a good car for the buck, but if you get the pro you still have to buy all the goods to go with it , motor, radio,pipe ect, but it is a nice car....

dockman2 06-24-2005 03:41 PM

Just get a Hyper 7TQ kit. They are only $239 and then you can put in the radio, motor etc of your choice. Another nice thing about them is you can upgrade to PCR parts as you go along.

thopper 06-25-2005 10:01 AM

I have a jammin pro that I have beat on.....6 gallons...have only...yeserday..broke once. The center diff finally gave out after total abuse. Running a P5 never opened any of the diffs. Incrediablly durable buggy, worth every penny.

Element 06-25-2005 08:02 PM

Well it looks likes even though I was adimint about staying on my budget I'm going to be saving my money and going kit route. Ever since my straight axle days (clods and juggernauts for you old timers :D ) I have loved building kits.

So now I have to decide which kit to go with the 777 is now $280 on towers and the hyper is $230. I'm kindog leaning toward the 777 since its newer although I'm not exactly sure if its better for my situation(more research). Either way I now have to spend $600. Thanks guys :)

So this is what setup I have in mind as of now:
Kyosho Inferno MP777 Kit
Airtronics MX-3S 3
Airtronics 94102Z Servo (Comes with the radio will use it as a temp. throttle servo)
Airtronics 94758Z Digital Servo
Ofna Delta Force .21 P8
Thats a grand total of a little over $800 and thats not even including the starter box or Rx battery pack :( I can't exactly afford that right now (1:1 payments) it looks like I'm going to have a to cut some corners somewhere.

Thanks for you help
-Greg

zr1s10 06-25-2005 09:06 PM

You cant go wrong with a hyper 7!!!

But seriously, you DON'T have to spend alot to get a GREAT DURABLE buggy! I've had my Ofna 9.5 MBX for over a year now AND HAVE NOT BROKEN anything except the pullstart. I use a pullstart now anyways. The only mods I have on mine is the JR XR3i and the futaba servos! The 26 a screamin fast and a reliable motor!

spokman 06-25-2005 10:48 PM

I like your idea of getting the 777. Then when you want to you can get the SP1 or SP2 or whatever parts to bolt on as you desire. One way to save money would be to get a cheapy steering servo at first. You can pick up a Traxxas 2055? Revo steering servo off ebay for around $10. 70-80oz Tourque. I'm sure it would break after a while but what the heck. You can also find some basic Ofna pipes on Ebay for cheap $10 or so. Could also get a JR XR2i radio on ebay also for cheap. $20-30. AM but I don't have any probs with the one on my XXX. Just some ideas. I went full house on a buggy. Kinda wish I'd done it like this. More fun!